1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blown head gasket or just short driving?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by ajnc, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    A little bit of misinformation can go a long damn way.

(1) Starting position: Radiator filled, overflow reservoir filled between "LOW" and "FULL" level.

(2) Normal operation 1: Engine warms to normal operating temperature and pressure, thermostat opens, coolant circulates through radiator. Normal engine temperature maintained.

(3) Normal operation 2: Engine is heavily loaded on a hot day, radiator cap set pressure exceeded, coolant overflows to reservoir, reservoir below "FULL" level but above "LOW" when hot. Engine shut off, coolant cools and "shinks", vacuum pulls excess coolant from reservoir back into radiator.

(4) Normal operation 3: Over years of neglect, hot coolant flashes off in reservoir, and evaporates, and reservoir level drops to or below "LOW" level when cold. At some point, if coolant is not replenished in overflow reservoir, the level will fall below end of pickup tube in the reservoir.

(5) Abnormal operation 1: Engine is heavily loaded on a hot day, radiator cap set pressure exceeded, coolant overflows to reservoir which is now below "LOW" level. Engine shut off, coolant cools and "shrinks", pulls air back into radiator, vacuum now broken. No coolant can be drawn back to radiator from the reservoir.

(6) Abnormal operation 2: Engine is heavily loaded on a hot day, neglected cooling system temperature is above normal, radiator set pressure exceeded, MORE coolant is lost to reservoir. Overflow reservoir may be overfilled, spilling coolant to the ground. No coolant will be recovered.

(7) Abnormal operation 3: Engine is heavily loaded on a hot day, neglected cooling system temperature is above normal, radiator coolant level too low to maintain engine temperature, radiator set pressure exceeded, coolant and steam boil over to reservoir. If engine is not shut off immediately, you're going to be getting a new engine.

@Jrharvey02 is currently at Step (4) headed to Step (5).

Edit: Edited to use terminology marked on Toyota reservoirs, and to clarify the original meaning. No substantial change has been made to original intent.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  2. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Great write up, thanks! When you say "falls below the pickup tube in the reservoir", is that the tube at the bottom of the reservoir tank? Basically I have just enough coolant in there based on my photo to not be below the pickup tube? Also, when I removed the radiator cap, I noticed there was just a trickle of pink coolant at the very bottom in there. Is this supposed to be filled to the top at all times?

3. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    Thank you . That’s what I thought . I was referring to the OP’s pictures of the overflow and the inside of his radiator . Then someone suggested that it’s normal for there to be no coolant and it’s all inside the engine .

4. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    NOT NORMAL. Not for a 5.7L or any other engine cooling system with an overflow reservoir.

You should never even remove the radiator cap unless you suspect that coolant has gotten so low that air is in the radiator.

Lovetrucks[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    I couldn't see deep inside, but I suspect you've lost enough coolant that you're down to the radiator core.

If you have air at the top of your radiator, you are below the pickup tube in the reservoir. You won't be recovering any coolant from the reservoir even if you now add coolant to the reservoir. Until you top off the radiator, fill the reservoir to "FULL", then start the truck and bring it up to normal operating temperature, you won't recover any coolant from the reservoir. Any small amount of air remaining in the system is "burped" back into the reservoir when the engine warms up, and will be vented there. When the engine cools, the cooling system vacuum will be re-established.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  6. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:31 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    If there is an issue with coolant entering the crankcase, this is what could happen. Cold engine sitting - the coolant separates and the oil floats on top, so dipstick can look fine other than maybe a change in oil level. Starting the engine sucks the coolant through oil pickup, then it mixes with the oil and might be visible on the dipstick. Hard to understand if you haven’t drained an engine that got water/coolant in the crankcase. You had already started it so moot point. Pulling the oil filler tube off is easy and would allow you to get a peek inside the engine to check if/how much mustard goop is present.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    JLS in WA and hagrid like this.
  7. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    You seem to be very good at copying and pasting Toyota service bulletins and diagnosing problems over the internet on an engine you’ve never owned. Can you please explain what problem I may be having seeing that my coolant is always at the “Full” level, except for a few minutes after starting the truck when it dips slightly below the “low” level (for just a few minutes).
    I’m not losing any coolant, never have. I get 14.5mpg and I tow a 25’ boat and 20’ travel trailer all summer long. Never had to add any coolant 85k on the truck.
    Please, where does my coolant magically go and how does it magically reappear again if not just inside the block?

8. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:36 AM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:
    OK, It's at the shop, so hopefully they know how to do this. But just to get it straight. I just fill the reservoir to cold line, top the radiator off by unscrewing the yellow cap and dumping it in there, run the truck to operating temps, and shut the truck off and i'm all set. Should the level in the radiator, as seen by removing the yellow radiator cap, stay at the top? Or does that level fluctuate a lot like the resevoir tank does?

9. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    What I've told you here is not from any TSBs or YouTube. It's from personal experience. That's why I understand cooling system operation so well...I was forced to figure them out to fix the problems.

If your coolant reservoir is running between FULL and LOW, then it's operating normally. I have no idea why your coolant level would suddenly fill your reservoir to FULL on a cold startup, but that is not normal. A couple of us have told you that. Are we to assume that your 5.7L has such a big strong water pump that it's popping the radiator set pressure by surging through the radiator? If so, maybe you need a new radiator cap.

If I were you (and I'm not) I would take good advice and find out what's happening with your cooling system. But, if you don't want to ever add coolant, then don't add any coolant. I have observed that coolant is lost slowly simply by evaporation through heat cycles of the engine.

10. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    You don’t seem to be reading what I’m typing. My coolant is always at the full mark in the overflow reservoir. I’ve never had to add any coolant. The only time it’s low, such as the pic I provided earlier, is when I start the truck from cold and immediately turn it off after 30 seconds or whatever. Let me say this again, I’ve never had to add coolant nor have I ever been low (except that weird few minutes after I start the truck and turn it off suddenly, such as what the OP confirmed he did, too).
    What are you suggesting my problem is? Should I call the dealership and tell them I’m not overheating or losing any coolant but a guy on the internet is sure something is wrong with my cooling system?

11. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:08 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    The shop should do all that for you. Just drive the truck normally, and watch the reservoir level. The level should be between "FULL" and "LOW" when cold, and will be above "FULL" when hot. (Sorry, LOW and FULL are the Toyota labels. I've been mixing different OEM labels in my posts.)

My reservoir level right now is about 1" above "LOW" (needs some coolant added). Truck has 5500 miles, and has never had any leaks, no emulsion, and no overheating. Coolant is naturally lost over time.

12. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:

Ok thanks! I guess I should verify they used pink Toyota or the Zerex Asian coolant as well if they didn't flush it? Hopefully this is all just a bad dream and everything is fine!

13. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:20 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    If your coolant overflow reservoir looks like the OP's, which you claimed initially, because he didn't have a problem (see below)...then you have problem. Take it to a dealership, maybe they can explain it to you.

OP Reservoir.jpg

14. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    It only looks like that when the truck is started and then immediately shut off (just like the OP posted he did), otherwise it’s within a quarter inch of the “Full” line.
    Again, should I call the dealership and tell them I’m not overheating nor am I losing coolant but a guy on the internet is sure something is wrong with my cooling system?

15. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Where was your level prior to starting? Cold and before start?

Never seen an engine suck rez dry like this if its true and yes I’m open to being wrong. Just never seen it happen on any of my vehicles. Fluid only expands from cold to hot on mine and doesn’t suck in to fill an air void? I’m at sealevel on an Island, as the OP.

16. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oh man, I think you guys can agree, to disagree haha. One last question if someone could be so kind. Is the radiator area that is accessed by removing the yellow cap, supposed to be filled to the top at all times? Or does it fluctuate between full and almost empty, like the reservoir does? As seen in my last pic of original post, it is nearly empty. I just want to know if this is something that should always be full if the issue it corrected. Thanks again.

17. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Engine was parked overnight in garage and the level was at “Full” in the overflow container before I started the truck for a few seconds.

18. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Ok. It was 1/4” below full. Got my answer. I was wrong and you were right. On the 4.7L the fluid going below the line would mean problems. It never happens unless a problem.

Jrharvey02[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    You should be able to stick your finger in there and feel liquid. Not necessarily filled to the tip top.

20. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok thanks, yeah I could feel the tiniest bit in there, maybe the thickness of a pennys worth.

Jrharvey02[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Mar 18, 2021 at 11:40 AM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well, I guess I don't need a new engine and I can still drive it lol. They were very polite, but you could tell they thought I was kinda freaking out for no reason haha. Said the condensation is normal for Toyotas and short driving, no concern at all. Pressure tested coolant and dyed it, and it was fine. Oil looked totally normal.

IMG-6222_3f79c7cb6954b13a04ff8ae07ad85c583cf8545c.jpg
    IMG-6223_b1368b59b22b5765e683c79c5174516929c964d3.jpg
    IMG-6225_91c3ed2eaef5167dbc78b905f591a0c72371d289.jpg

22. Mar 18, 2021 at 11:49 AM
    audiowize

audiowize New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul B.
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR-5 4x4 5.7
    You'll sleep better at night.

23. Mar 18, 2021 at 11:51 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    That, sir, is pure unadulterated bullshit that can get others reading this into a lot of expensive trouble. It's probably going to get you into expensive trouble, but you are an adult and allowed to make your own decisions.

Maybe part of the problem that you're not understanding is the radiator HAS TO BE COMPLETELY FULL to the neck when cold, with the reservoir filled to "FULL". It's not the fifties anymore; radiator caps are not removed to check coolant level. Coolant level is checked by looking at the level in the reservoir, which assumes the cooling system was properly filled to start.

Hmmm...Sounds exactly like the advice I gave you early. :thumbsup:

blanchard7684 and JLS in WA like this.
  24. Mar 18, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    yel911

yel911 New Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crew Limited
    Nobody mentioned with a blown headgasket, you'll get white smoke out the exhaust pipe and in smells like coolant. :)

25. Mar 18, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:

Yes, thanks for your help. This was indeed the craziest range of advice i've ever received about anything in my life haha. I appreciate the civilized approach. So, should I unscrew the radiator cap to verify it is completely full now when cold? Or, leave it alone and just keep my eyes on the level in the reservoir tank only?

I have not unscrewed the radiator cap at all since leaving the shop (and taking it for a long drive)

26. Mar 18, 2021 at 12:04 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    John, since you’re adamant that something is wrong with my truck, can you please tell me what I’m supposed to tell the service manager? Should I tell him that I’ve never lost coolant, I’ve never had to add coolant, it remains steady at the Full line, and I’ve never overheated towing a big boat and a moderate camper around Colorado... but this guy on the internet says something is wrong? Really dude, what should I tell Toyota is wrong with my cooling system?
    I literally had the same problem as the OP with a 5.7 that I own. I literally posted pictures showing him that it’s normal. Yet, here you are, the owner of 4.6, with no relevant experience with a 5.7, telling me something is wrong with my truck and subsequently the OP’s truck. Yet... the shop verified nothing was wrong with the OP’s cooling system...weird, it’s almost as if you should stick with what you know and that’s clearly not the 5.7.

27. Mar 18, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:
    I edited my whole post because I just did a test. The shop said nothing was wrong with the coolant system, but it WAS low, and they topped it off. When I left the shop it was at the full line. I drove on the thruway, came home and it was still at the full line. I just let it cool down for a few hours, and it's at the full line. I started it for 30 seconds, and it's at the full line. No idea what this means. Or that i'd spend the day talking about coolant on the internet.

28. Mar 18, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    You’re only going to see that coolant reservoir sucked down to nearly empty after the truck has been sitting overnight (completely cooled down).

ajnc[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  29. Mar 18, 2021 at 12:54 PM
    ajnc

ajnc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Interesting. Well, for the sake of science I'll wait until tomorrow, and report back!

30. Mar 18, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    RJVA

RJVA Former Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Silver DC 4.7 4x4
    OEM 18" wheels off a 2.5 gen 275/70/18 Falken Rubitrek A/T FabFour Redsteel front bumper with HF winch. Dobinsons IMS with 2.25" coils (610) JBA UCA's Iron Man +300lb rear leaf packs with Dobinsons IMS shocks ECGS bushing in front diff Black Oak Led Flood Pods. 40watt (x2) Black Oak 20" light bar. 100 watt OEM style rear bumper, black powder coat, added aux reverse leds. Stubby AM/FM antenna Century Camper Shell with Roof rack and bed mat
    My 4.7 gets the same gunk under the filler cap. The first time I saw it I was really worried. Took longer drives and moisture burns off and it doesn't happen to my truck now. Truck runs very smooth with or without the gunk though.

Products Discussed in

To Top