1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Block Heater

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by awq735, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Nov 24, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    scottb2240

scottb2240 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Platinum Silver
    TRD Exhaust, Swaybar, BBK
    Can anyone confirm the power consumption of the OEM block heater? I read somewhere that it's 1000w but then the Zerostart aftermarket one is only 400w. I'm curious to know so I can do a quick calculation. If it is 1000w, at $.15 a kwh, and 3 hours of heating before use, the OEM heater would be $.45 a day. For warm start ups when its really cold outside, that's a no brainer for me.

2. Nov 24, 2019 at 11:12 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I can't really imagine it being greater than 400W.

scottb2240 likes this.
  3. Nov 24, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Worst case scenario. Put a timer on your power from house and have it set to come on for a couple hours before driving to work in morning. So if you regularly get into the car at 630, have the block heater power come on at 330. Or if you get a fancy enough timer, have it set to 15min/hr.

It doesn't need 24/7 power for the block heater. Most outdoor parking stalls for workers only run 10-20min per hour.

4. Nov 24, 2019 at 12:51 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    The Toyota cartridge block heaters I’ve seen are 400W as well. My Tundra already had one when I got it, but by the speed it warms up on the block heater I’m confident that it’s not 1000W.

scottb2240[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 29, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    Can anyone confirm if the OEM PU140-00913-2 block heater works with a 5.7L 2020? All I've seen confirmed thus far is that it's for 2014-2019 but I don't know why it wouldn't work for 2020 (same ancient engine).

Just purchased my 2020 yesterday and had trouble starting her this morning when it was -5°F outside. I had one on my Taco but wanted to install it myself. The dealer here in Alaska wants to charge $260!

6. Feb 29, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    It should. Crawl under your trunk and look for the hole. I think it’s a somewhat standard size where even aftermarket ones fit. If you have the hole, you should be good. I tested mine out last weekend and it was about 180* on the metal next to the heater. Not sure what all it heats though.

AlaskanAssassin likes this.
  7. Feb 29, 2020 at 6:41 PM
    HailstorminMT

HailstorminMT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hailey
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tundra and '04 4runner v8
    lift and lights
    Last winter we had about a month of -20f mornings and a lot of people's vehicles wouldn't start and they had to uber to work haha. I agree with ^^ it's usually the battery that will keep a gas engine from starting in the cold.
    My truck definitely cried in pain a few times and sometimes had to try twice before it would turn over.
    I had a remote start installed by the dealership after that winter and I would highly recommend.

AlaskanAssassin and Luckydog like this.
  8. Feb 29, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    The part number that I have for my '11 is PU140 00905. It's genuine Toyota, but I think I bought it on eBay; and it might actually be a Canadian part number. ¯\(°_o)/¯

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    AlaskanAssassin likes this.
  9. Mar 1, 2020 at 10:10 PM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    I definitely plan to get one as it gets to -30°F regularly where I live. I had one in my 2018 Tacoma but was hoping to save nearly $200 installing it myself. Just trying to confirm the correct 2020 part number.

10. Aug 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM
    100LL

100LL smells better than Jet-A

Member:
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Potatoes.
    Remote start bypasses a lot of electronics... Maybe not needing to run those gave you enough power to crank?

Half track and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  11. Feb 19, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Yodder J

Yodder J New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tundra SR5 4WD DC
    DAP Tune, Truxedo ProX15 bed cover, WildPeak AT3s
    I watched a Canadian youtube video about heaters and they said 15-30 watts pure liter of oil for these types of heaters. The 5.7L uses 7.5L or 7.9qts of oil so that translates to around 170w of power for a heater. Interestingly the video also said don't use more watts than required because it can damage the oil? 400w of power seems like quite a lot for a block heater?

12. Feb 19, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    The heater that is used is a block heater, not an oil pan heater. Maybe link to the video so we can have a gander at it and maybe make some clarifications.

Black Wolf likes this.
  13. Feb 19, 2021 at 3:41 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    This^^^^^^

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 19, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    Yodder J

Yodder J New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tundra SR5 4WD DC
    DAP Tune, Truxedo ProX15 bed cover, WildPeak AT3s
    Ok so yes he was talking about Alaska heat pads, not block heaters

Black Wolf and Wynnded[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Feb 19, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Are those what they throw on the floors of their igloos for sleeping on top of? ;)

Black Wolf likes this.
  16. Feb 19, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Yep, the heat pads. When I was up in Anchorage the Yota dealer would install the heat pad for $150. That was in 2012.

17. Feb 19, 2021 at 3:52 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    What do these look like, a diaper for the oil pan? :p

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 19, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I think they used some sort of adhesive. It was flat and attached to the bottom of the oil pan. I never needed one on my 09 Taco even tho it got cold as frack that winter.

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 4, 2023 at 2:14 PM
    All Talk

All Talk New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition
    Lift kit (that is horrible and will be changed), Wheel & Tire combination (that looks nice, but is not practical), Latter rack (that will be the foundation of camping system at some point)
    I recently (September 3rd, 2023) installed a block-heater, which is not for the faint of heart. I took a load of pictures, but it was after I had already installed the cartridge and ran the wire.

I created an album of the pictures I took, with descriptions and wire routing as well. I hope it helps someone, because I had to dig this out of my @$$.

WFD473 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top