1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big 3/4 wire upgrade

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by joeguam, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Jan 22, 2022 at 3:18 AM
    Ohannon7

Ohannon7 New Member

Member:
    Central Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 5.7 4WD CM Bench-Seat Silver
    6” Pro Comp 37’s Custom audio and interior Off road capability is current focus
    @joeguam
    I used this thread to do my big 3/4 upgrade and very happy so I wanted to say Thank You Joe!!!

619Tundra and joeguam[OP] like this.
  2. Apr 28, 2022 at 10:06 PM
    tbone75

tbone75 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Tundra TRD
    So, I'm thinking I may attempt this and curious as to how long this process takes on average? I seen another poster asked but never got answered. I'm going back and forth on if I should attempt this or not and total time would help me get an idea. I already ordered my 1/0 and just itching to use it.
    I'm thinking of going with an Odyssey Extreme 31A (31-PC2150T) 1150cca 100ah. Only have the stock alt now but I'm sure that'll change.
    I was thinking I could upgrade to 2/0 for only 15.00 more, now would be the time, thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  3. May 3, 2022 at 6:26 AM
    joeguam

joeguam [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JOE
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Pro Comp 6 Inch Stage II Lift Kit with Icon 2.5 coil overs and piggyback rear shocks, SPC Upper Control Arms, Atlas 6” Leaf Springs, Coach Builder Steering kit, Coach Builder +3 Shackles, BDS Recoil Traction Bars, Amp Research steps, Fuel Nutz two piece 20x12-44 offset wrapped with 38” Toyo MT tires, LineX Bed Liner, Viper 5706V Alarm and Remote Start, Pioneer 4200, JLAudio Amps, JL Audio Subs. Nitro Gear 5.29 and Auburn LSD
    I believe it took me approximately 4-6 hours based on the fact that I had to figure many logistics that I have provided in PDF and or description to ease and minimize guess work. IE wire length from wire loom to next point, how to remove the clips, size of socket, best approach to reach confined spaces etc. Imagine not knowing the exact size of socket or extension length (having to get up and retrieve tools, 1st it is tiring for your muscles to include joints). In addition, what was my best approach to access the bolt and/or part. So as far as the time, well that will depend on your commitment and skill level.
    if you use anything above 1/0 AWG, I doubt it will fit in the wire loom with all the original wires that came out of it. Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you

619Tundra likes this.
  4. May 3, 2022 at 7:23 AM
    tbone75

tbone75 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Tundra TRD
    @joeguam Thanks for the update! So, I pulled the trigger and ordered a 300amp alternator to do at the same time. The only thing is, I originally ordered 1/0 AWG and sent it back, then ordered 2/0 AWG in its place. However, before that package even arrived, the company from which I'm getting the alternator said they recommend 4/0 AWG wire for this alternator for full performance. So, I canceled the order of the 2/0 AWG that hasn't even arrived yet (Amazon) and ordered 4/0 AWG in its place. I'm going to have to zip strip the wire next to it, figuring it's not going in the loom. Regardless, I have my concerns about the 4/0 AWG wire in that its sheer size is freakin HUGH, and really question if I really need that size. However, after all this sending back and forth I think I'm going to just stick with the 4/0 and hope like hell the alternator company didn't steer me wrong. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing the big 3/4 Upgrade with 4/0 AWG. Oh well, here we go...

5. Feb 5, 2023 at 3:08 AM
    FrozenTundra83

FrozenTundra83 New Member

Member:
    @joeguam I might have missed it in the reading, but you remove the tire and go through the wheel well? Or did you just go from under the truck and hood?

6. Feb 5, 2023 at 3:56 AM
    joeguam

joeguam [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JOE
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Pro Comp 6 Inch Stage II Lift Kit with Icon 2.5 coil overs and piggyback rear shocks, SPC Upper Control Arms, Atlas 6” Leaf Springs, Coach Builder Steering kit, Coach Builder +3 Shackles, BDS Recoil Traction Bars, Amp Research steps, Fuel Nutz two piece 20x12-44 offset wrapped with 38” Toyo MT tires, LineX Bed Liner, Viper 5706V Alarm and Remote Start, Pioneer 4200, JLAudio Amps, JL Audio Subs. Nitro Gear 5.29 and Auburn LSD
    I went through the wheel well and splash guard to get to the alternator wiring. There are several clips holding the wire harness along the way leading to the battery and fuse box so depending (top/ bottom or side) approach, whichever way was easier is what I went with. I did not have to remove the tire. Hope that helps

7. Feb 6, 2023 at 6:10 AM
    baraynavab

baraynavab Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L V8
    Aaah yeah 4/0 wire? really why? thats odd cause if you see the chart below you can be running 2/0 gauge for 300 amps for up to 19-22 ft. Unless you are upgrading the 300A Alternator for Audio upgrading to 4/0 although nice would be a pita to maneuver in those tight spaces. Especially if you are upgrading to 300A for no reason other than the big 3/4/5 upgrade.

BTW I would go with what the manufacture of the Alternator recommends but still it might be overkill.

Also if you are doing that you may have to upgrade the Alternator fuse on the thing as well right. Did they mention upgrading the fuse to at least 300*1.25=375Amp fuse on the 4/0 cable? Else you'll be blowing fuses all the time and getting stuck if you do not have replacement fuses with you in the truck.

Lastly, here's a link to a wiresize calculator so you can take the guess work out of what AWG cable you need for the given distance you want to run the cable for on a given device max load (in your case your alternator of 300 amps)

AWG Wiresize to Amp calculator - https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

Also link to fuse calculator - https://mgispeedware.com/guides-documentation/fuse-breaker-size-calculator/

[​IMG]

619Tundra likes this.
  8. Feb 6, 2023 at 7:21 AM
    Cruzer

Cruzer Wheeling Full Size

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Build Page: Cruzer's Re-Build for the Rubicon
    There's no inline fuse from the alternator to the battery. There is a fuse from the battery to the main fuse box but that doesn't need to be changed as the truck's system load does not change. I do agree that 4/0 is way past overkill though.

9. Feb 6, 2023 at 9:07 AM
    citrusmaster

citrusmaster New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tielar
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra RCLB
    Very nice, this upgrade is next on my list, I would love to install a sound system in my truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top