1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG KO2/ Nitto Ridge/ Falken Wildpeak

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by YotaBro, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan 14, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5 / 06 SEQUOIA LTD
    No idea. I would think a c range would air down better then a stiffer e range. But I haven't done any hard wheeling since my younger days in my 87 toyota. Sure you could find that info online with some searching.

FirstGenVol[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jan 14, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I had KO's on my Tacoma. After about 20,000 miles they were downright dangerous on any kind of wet pavement. Stopped at a stoplight on a hill and my truck would almost turn sideways trying to get moving again. It had a limited slip diff, but no traction control. There were several times I almost had to put it in 4wd just to get moving on wet pavement and I do not have a heavy foot. That was on a much lighter Tacoma, but still not a good experience with them. I have Ridge Grapplers now on my Tundra and have about 30,000 miles on them with no issues. Traction control will kick in on wet hills when starting out, but is never out of control like my Tacoma was. That maybe the traction control more so than the tires, but I was not a fan of the wet weather handling of the KO's. Light off roading on some muddy farm roads is all I have really done in this truck, but the the RG's have handled it fine.

3. Jan 14, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Cs will definitely give you a bigger footprint when you air down which is what you are after.

4. Jan 14, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    buenosdiaz

buenosdiaz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 Calvary Blue Tundra
    Bought 275-65-18 K02s and love them. As mentioned before I believe the massive love for the wild peaks on here are because they used to be much cheaper and were a great value. For the same price I went with the K02s because I look the way they look better. Silly I know, but I believe the performance from both would have both been great and it came down to looks and I trust the BFG more than I trust Falken.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2021 at 11:45 AM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    Interesting, first I've seen a complaint on wet performance. I've never had wet traction issues with my KO2, I'm at 25k on them. I've spun tires a few times on wet pavement from a stop, but that happens sometimes with rear wheel drive pickup. Lighter Tacoma probably had a lot to do with that, as you mentioned.

more aggressive tread tires do worse in all on pavement conditions aside from deep snow. On the spectrum of All terrain tire treads I'd say KO2s are on the more aggressive side, so many others perform better on pavement. KO2s perform great in winter and off-pavement, two of the more important conditions for me.

6. Jan 14, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I've heard a lot of people complain about wet traction after about 50% tread. But like you said that is part of the all-terrain tire. They always worked well off-road except for mud, but only a true mud terrain would be any better. The wet handling was enough of an issue that I decided I would try something different this time, but it could have main been the truck that was causing the problem.

7. Jan 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    I'm at about 50% tread so maybe I'll be in the category of complaining about it soon. Haha. I actually plan on buying new ones this spring because I need reliable tires as I'm often way off the beaten path. So I won't get much chance to critique them at less than 50% tread performance. I'll leave that to those who have done it. The top half performance was excellent for what I need so I'll be buying another set.

What really sells me on the KO2 is the winter performance. It's better in 2wd then some tires I've had while in 4wd (on compact snow and ice).

Luckily for all of us we have a large selection of tires and can find what works for you.

MTRock likes this.
  8. Jan 14, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    I ran 4 sets of KO series without any issue at all. The new KO2 series was fine for 2 years, then once they got older the wet traction was gone. Horrific on wet roads. My gut says that ko2 is a harder compound than the original ko was

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  9. Jan 14, 2021 at 2:31 PM
    YotaBro

YotaBro [OP] This forum will make me broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Grey Tundra TRD PRO
    Lots of shenanigans.
    Update, called around a few shops and found a small local shop, literally down the street from my house, and will most likely go with the Falken Wildpeaks AT3W in 285/75/r18. Quoted me 1200 OTD. Cheapest compared to all of the other shops. Thanks again for everyone's inputs! Feel free to continue to keep this thread alive for future tire shoppers!

10. Jan 14, 2021 at 3:02 PM
    68 RS/SS

68 RS/SS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIke
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    I’ve had multiple sets of ko’s, one set of ko2’s and three set of wildpeaks. Wildpeaks are superior in every way.

YotaBro[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top