1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best xfinity/comcast modem router?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by atrinh15, May 12, 2020.

1. May 15, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    KeetAz

KeetAz New Member

Member:
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 SuperWhite PRO
    Cable guy here. 13 years in the business. I’m no longer a tech as I’ve moved up to bigger and better within my company. You guys are making me cringe with some these products you guys are using.

1st— netgear modems are some of the worst I’ve ever dealt with. Multiple firmware issues. Motorola modem- with 16 or 32 channels. If your not going gig service don’t waste money on doc 3.1

2nd—routers. Ahhh routers. Where everyone tries to save money yet want groundbreaking performance. In the field I used car analogies. Seemed to make sense for people. That $50 router at Walmart? That’s your Prius. Great on gas, will last you awhile, but won’t go 200mph. That $200-300 router? That’s your Ferrari. She goes 200 mph. She can handle all your bandwidth issues while laughing at you. My house? 3500 square feet, 2 story. A routers worst nightmare. Thought I’d have to run an access point. Nope. Asus. 8 Ethernet outs, dual band AC. Nothing super fancy, considering she’s 4 years old now, running like a champ. I also endorse nighthawks. They are solid——the first couple gens had firmware issues, but their current stuff is solid.....

a good Motorola modem, and a higher end ASUS or NIGHTHAWK router and your good for 4-5 years problem free. I’ve been in my 2 houses for a total of about 14 years and I’d say I’ve rebooted my gear about 15 times. No joke. No headaches.

oh yeah and my worst trouble call I would run on is the intermittent data call. 99% of the time it’s customers equipment. Why does my speed suck on this $45 Walmart special? Shoot me please!!!!

Kung, 2010bigdog and JH5370 like this.
  2. May 15, 2020 at 8:16 PM
    atrinh15

atrinh15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    495-93 area
    Vehicle:
    2018 PLATNIUM White CM
    Ready lift 3/2 Fuel Mavericks 22x9.5 Nitti Terra Grappler G2 - 285/55/22 K/N air filter TRD sway bar SS Fisher plow Mesh grill painted to match Rear bumper painted white
    so what modeM only do you recommend? From Motorola

3. May 15, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    KeetAz

KeetAz New Member

Member:
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 SuperWhite PRO
    Any docsis 3.0 with at least 16 channels.

4. May 16, 2020 at 3:30 AM
    atrinh15

atrinh15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    495-93 area
    Vehicle:
    2018 PLATNIUM White CM
    Ready lift 3/2 Fuel Mavericks 22x9.5 Nitti Terra Grappler G2 - 285/55/22 K/N air filter TRD sway bar SS Fisher plow Mesh grill painted to match Rear bumper painted white
    My speed is only 200 mbps

5. May 16, 2020 at 3:49 AM
    ssls6

ssls6 Dr. Awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    South Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro CM
    Bakflip, Bedstep, Gulfstate stuff
    You're gonna need a cable modem and then a router/mesh system unless you have ethernet in the walls/ceilings for wired access points. I have the unifi stuff in colorado and google wifi (because I got the 4 pack at costco) in Texas. I really like the unifi stuff but there is a learning curve to set it up right. The google wifi was idiot proof and because of that, very limited in features but it works. Eeros is simple like google but has more features.

I would definitely buy a docis 3.1 cable modem so won't need to buy it again if the speed goes up.

I would NOT try to build my own mesh. Buy a mesh designed for the task.

Basic plan....put modem and mesh master together where ever the cable location is. Add other mesh points around the house for full coverage. Google for example, has in the app a method to help position the other mesh points.

atrinh15[OP] likes this.
  6. May 16, 2020 at 3:54 AM
    atrinh15

atrinh15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    495-93 area
    Vehicle:
    2018 PLATNIUM White CM
    i have my house wired this is why im heading towards the unfi direction. My house is 3700 sq but long. Its had 3 additions put on by other owners. I have cat5e in the main house and part of the extension. So the unfi should be able to cover it all. I might need 3 of them but will be all the same

7. May 16, 2020 at 4:02 AM
    ssls6

ssls6 Dr. Awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    South Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro CM
    Bakflip, Bedstep, Gulfstate stuff
    Unifi is a great choice then. I use a USG, cloud key, a 24 port switch feeding 4 APs and other wall ethernet locations which branch into other switches in media centers. I also run a VPN server so I can log into home when on the road. I can't say enough good things about unifi but there is one word of warning. Use a cloud key to run the controller on and backup the settings weekly.

Kung likes this.
  8. May 16, 2020 at 6:01 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Again the Amplifi System is also Unifi but made for well,EERO buyers lets just say.

9. May 18, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    traveller09

traveller09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    2005 G500 & 1995 911. Looking to buy 1/2 ton truck mostly for overlanding and daily driver.
    Not to hijack this thread but it is a great discussion and I could use some advice as well.

I cut the cord years ago and I have been relying on streaming services (NetFlix, etc) and my NAS Media Server that houses all my media for our entertainment. With both my wife and I working from home for the forcible future I decided to upgrade our Comcast internet plan. For $10 less a month I am going from something like 105Mbps to 1 gig. Now I need to update our network.

We are currently running a Netgear CM500 modem and ASUS RT-AC87U router, generally I have been pretty happy with both (although I have never seen anything close to the 105Mbps speeds but I imagine that is comcast not the hardware). I have ordered a Netgear CM1100 largely because it was impossible to find another 1Gig Modem, everything is sold out and on back order. It hasnt arrived yet so if anyone has a better idea I am all ears.

For the router ,I haven't ordered a router yet as I will see how the current one works out but I think I need to replace it. House is about 3200 sqft, wife and I currently work near the router but I think I am going to turn one of the bedrooms into her office which is at the other end of the house on the 2nd floor. I am not looking for a cheap solution but a good long term solution. I am thinking Wifi 6 and 3 channel? Should I do a mess router? In the reading I have been doing it looks like you sacrifice some speed with a mess but gain coverage? I am still trying to decide with is more important to me.

Thoughts, suggestions? Brand and model numbers welcome.

Thanks in advance.

10. May 18, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    atrinh15

atrinh15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    495-93 area
    Vehicle:
    2018 PLATNIUM White CM
    so im starting to receive some of the things that i ordered. And cant give you any detail if this will be good yet.

Question is your house wired at all or mainly relying on wifi service to feed the house?

11. May 19, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    traveller09

traveller09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    2005 G500 & 1995 911. Looking to buy 1/2 ton truck mostly for overlanding and daily driver.
    It is wired, there is an OnQ box in the pantry. Since the house was built in 2004 I am not sure what level of Ethernet cable is run in the house. I doubt it is CAT 5e, might not even be CAT 5. I have run a couple long direct CAT 5E cable under the house from the den to the living room. We do us a lot of wifi but I try to use wire for my media transfer to the TV and the computer at my desk.

I will wait to see how yours comes out.

Interesting note, one of the routers i was looking at the review said it was perfect for a NAS to plug into. I have a NAS but I never considered what special needs it would have on a router.

12. Jun 21, 2020 at 11:31 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    Uhh. Google and non-intrusive are two words that do not go well together.

13. Jun 22, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
  14. Jun 22, 2020 at 6:49 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    15 reboots? You n00b. ( :D ) I think I had to reboot mine a whopping 1/2 dozen times over 12 years.

Seriously though, I don't disagree with much of what you say. Literally ever since I've had DSL (since 2008), I've run the ISP modem bridged to an Asus RT-AC68U (and its predecessor before that), and I almost NEVER had issues at all.

Upgraded to Unifi USG, Nano AP, 8 port PoE switch and an In-Wall AP about 6 months ago, and it's also been rock solid. With that said, as you can likely figure out, I don't call the ISP when I need help - UNLESS it's obviously their equipment or service. I fix it myself.

15. Jun 22, 2020 at 6:51 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    This, although a word of warning. If you're not at least moderately proficient in things IT or computers, I wouldn't go with Unifi (or I'd go with Amplifi). They're rock solid, but the learning curve is a bit high for your standard newbie.

16. Jun 24, 2020 at 4:56 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    I pull the plug on my router every few days. It used to be that when you did a hard reset it would push any firmware updates to router, (if there were any to be had,) I m not sure, but I suppose it s an automated process now. Still, refreshing signal/connection doesn t hurt.

17. Feb 4, 2021 at 3:36 AM
    twix228

twix228 New Member

Member:
    This is true, but routers are not things that need a guarantee. How many cases do you know when routers break down quickly? It's an almost timeless product.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Feb 4, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    I can give you loads of examples, both ISP and personally sourced. LOL It happens more than I'd like to think it should.

19. Feb 4, 2021 at 11:04 AM
    CaptainGrumpus

CaptainGrumpus The Mailman

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tundra TRD
    Routers are an electronic. Electronics routinely fail. New or old doesn’t matter.

20. Feb 4, 2021 at 11:17 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    I'd like to circle back (heh) to this comment:

This, holy crap 100% this, though I'd exchange the word 'modems' for the word 'anything.' I've owned several Netgear products in the past, and *EVERY* single one has let me down - and not easily. I'd had them brick themselves; I've had them just reboot w/no warning; I've had them refuse to take firmware updates; I've even had one experience where the 'module' you plug Ethernet cables in the back come out. :confused:

About 2013 I got an Asus RT-AC68U, and it was rock freaking solid for a good 6-7 years. I *maybe* rebooted it about 5 times, and that was only for firmware updates.

The only reason I ended up updating is because I wanted to update my home network such that I could connect 2 or 3 devices (routers/switches/etc.) with a wired backhaul, and while you *can* do that with the Asus RT-AC68U, it's not optimal. At best I was getting 35-50Mbps.

Replaced them with Ubiquiti equipment, and I'm getting 60-65Mbps now (which is what I'm supposed to get). Also been rock freaking solid. :thumbsup:

21. Jul 9, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    sandrason

sandrason New Member

Member:
    Oh, how I understand you. This slow Internet has never been good, especially when you are urgently looking for something or playing. In games, this is generally a separate horror. When you need to win so that the Internet speed is at a height and the FPS does not fall, the Internet starts to slow down at the most inopportune moment. I had the following problem. The Internet speed was very slow and it was impossible to play. I decided to buy an Archer C5400X router, but nothing has changed. I called the guys who connected the Internet to me many times, they said that they could not do anything. Then I went to 192.168.1.254 and began to see what was what. After half an hour, I did everything and the Internet began to work better.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
To Top