1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best/Best Fitting Hard Bottom Dog seat Cover For my 2018 DC

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by MTBTANDRA801, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:42 AM
    MTBTANDRA801

MTBTANDRA801 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited DC
    King suspension, TRD Exhaust
    As the title says I am looking for a hard Bottom dog seat cover, I will mainly be using it to load camping gear, and carrying dogs occasionally. I want to maximize my backseat storage because I'm going to be having my cots as low as possible in the bed to maximize headroom for my soft topper while sleeping.

I have come across a few on Amazon, but they all say "small trucks", I would love full coverage over my leather seats, something I can slide a large cooler in and out of, camp chairs etc.

Here are some I have come across, Any specific models you guys like? Reccomend?

https://puppyplace.co/products/back...H291r2pFLf4_uUmhOr8m05Uqqcw-5_kRoCmF4QAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/ROUWINNE-Ext...6&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY

jmladdy likes this.
  2. Apr 23, 2024 at 10:53 AM
    SD Surfer

SD Surfer Globe Trotting Bon Vivant

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 SSM CM SR5 TRD OR 4X4 5.7
    The $132 one next to the one you linked lists Tundra as fitment.

Says it's 59-60" wide, I just went and measured the back seat in my '19 and that seems about perfect.

I've been thinking about getting one of these too, my concern is that I try to have my dogs get in & out by going to the floor first rather than just bailing out from the back seat 'cuz that's a hard landing. I've spent way too much money on doggy rehab from joint injuries.

The extenders would prevent them from being able to do that.

MTBTANDRA801[OP] and jmladdy like this.
  3. Apr 24, 2024 at 7:36 AM
    jmladdy

jmladdy New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    Following. Looking for a good option for my GSD in my crewmax.

MTBTANDRA801[OP] and Mdl like this.
  4. Apr 25, 2024 at 9:03 AM
    MTBTANDRA801

MTBTANDRA801 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited DC
    King suspension, TRD Exhaust
    Do you have a double cab?

5. Apr 25, 2024 at 9:39 AM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    I bought one off of Amazon (link below) for my DC and it's been pretty solid so far. It fits nearly perfectly and has a hard bottom. I didn't like the others that were just a "hammock" style. My dog, who is a 50 lb tripod, would also struggle with the space between the backseat and front seat since it wasn't firm.

Ignore the dumb Amazon description title. It's not inflatable. No clue why it says that. It's a hard bottom that's foldable in 3 sections. Which is nice because I can fold one section over and make use of the 40 section of the 40/60 split, if a passenger needs to ride back there too.

Amazon.com: YJGF Back Seat Extender for Dogs, Seat Cover for Back Seat Bed Inflatable for Car Camping Air Mattress,Dog Hammock for Car Travel Bed,Non Inflatable Car Bed Mattress for Car SUV Truck (Grey) : Pet Supplies

upload_2024-4-25_9-34-51.png

MTBTANDRA801[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 25, 2024 at 9:56 AM
    SD Surfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    No, Crewmax. I didn't even think about that, I just measured the seat width. Hmmm...

So I just went and measured... looks like in my CM the $132 one would cover pretty much door to door, and from seatback to about 2" from the back of center console, which is just about directly below where the straps would go around the headrests... Pretty good fit I think.

20240425_101241.jpg

20240425_101255.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  7. Apr 25, 2024 at 10:27 AM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM
    upload_2024-4-25_10-17-51.jpg

upload_2024-4-25_10-18-30.jpg

If you're wanting to leave the seats in, just fold them back build a solid flat platform w/storage underneath; note the top of the platform sits just below the rear AC vents (some guys have just leveled the floor and not elevated the platform so high to keep the dog lower)....

In these pics the wood was just covered w/a blanket until my stall mat showed up (blankets will slide around and do not provide a good surface); but a 3/4" stall mat (cut to fit) is heavy enough it will stay in place and the dog/gear wont slide around. Plenty of room for the dog to move around and lay down comfortably :thumbsup:.

coldcanuk and jmladdy[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Apr 29, 2024 at 6:40 AM
    jmladdy

jmladdy New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    This looks great. Stall mat was a great idea. Do you have dimensions for the platform?

9. Apr 29, 2024 at 6:59 AM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    This one's pretty straight forward in the cut (rectangular)... I can get the platform measurements for you later; the legs are kinda the quirky part to keep it level and account for the various 'elevations' of the rear floor. The rears are shorter than the fronts and the 'hump' leg in the middle of the front is shorter than the front edges (I've gotta have this one in their cuz my pups like to stand there w/head out sunroof some times)...

Also, need to make sure you account for top material thickness in the build process (I think I used 5/8" or 3/4" wood because they are generally a better (cleaner/flatter) wood panel and the stall mat I use is 3/4". So, you are nearly 1 1/2" of 'surface' and just need to subtract that from leg length to stay below the HVAC vents... I've also seen guys do something similar w/no storage underneath and smaller board just behind the front seats to level up w/that natural elevation of the rear seat area where the rear seat brackets mount to the floor. This seems to be the way some folks go so the dogs aren't elevated in the cab and they have much less window access, etc...

Also, just note, that the platform measurements I give you will will almost touch the passenger rear door (this is the side my dogs are usually on as I keep water bowls, water, back pack, etc. behind the driver's side); but the driver's side of the platform doesn't extend all the way to the door so I can get hands on my storage case, etc... (backpack would fit there if the case wasn't there)!!!!

I really wish the split rear seats were reversed and the 60% side of the seat was on the passenger side as I would have done a full seat delete on the rear passenger side giving the dogs access to that passenger rear window and that front console area while leaving the smaller seat intact as a jump seat, but it's reversed for my needs...

10. Apr 29, 2024 at 7:01 AM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Oh hey, just confirming you're running a crewmax also, or are you in a DC??

Rear dimensions are obviously different, but the seat mounts and such are not the same either.....

11. Apr 29, 2024 at 7:08 AM
    dklehman

dklehman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Vehicle:
    2024 sr5 Tundra
    I know everyone loves to drive with your dog in the backseat. When you do this you are not giving your dog the best chance of survival in a car accident. Having a 50 lbs dog hit you from behind isn't gonna be good for you either. Consider some if the crash test rated kennels on the market. They do require you strap them into the bed but they are a far safer way to transport your dog.

12. Apr 29, 2024 at 7:11 AM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    He's a bit over 100lbs... So, I'm sure he'll stay planted ;)

13. Apr 29, 2024 at 7:22 AM
    dklehman

dklehman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Vehicle:
    2024 sr5 Tundra
    I'm sure you are right and hey if you are not worried about your dog I'm not either.

14. Apr 29, 2024 at 7:32 AM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    I run seatbelt clips for my 50(ish) lb Dobie mix. Not as good as a crash kennel, but better than him turning into a flying missile at me. haha.

I connect it to his harness and not to a collar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Tripleconpanna likes this.
  15. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:05 AM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
  16. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:06 AM
    1lowlife

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    You're a perfect fit for social media.
    Congratulations..:thumbsup:

17. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:25 AM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    My wife refuses to seatbelt, tether, or store her 30lb purse in the bed when she's riding in the truck; I'm going to have to seriously do something about this.... :rofl:

I'm not trying to be an ass; it just struck me as a bit odd that you pointed out 'driver risk' when being struck by object in the vehicle focused on the dog and not the backpack or anything else in the cab. Plus, you seem to like spending your time telling folks what they are doing wrong (at least here on the forum).

Some things we do in life or pleasures that we partake in or share w/those we love are not always text book safe or in the being's absolute best interest. However, I live and spend my time based on calculations of reasonableness w/a very clear possibilities of the outcome...

In other words, if I or my dog or both of us were to die tomorrow in a crash (and I was in a position to analyze the outcome and my behaviors just prior to the incident), would I look back and say... "Fuck, if I would've crated by dog in the bed of my truck for the last 11 years of his life or approximately 4,500 hours of travel time (calculations based on about 25,000 miles a year at about 60mph average) he'd still be with me (probably for another couple of years). However, I would have also lost approximately 4,500 hours of time spent in a more intimate environment while he was here. Which scenario is worse?

Another example is hunting.... I can say to myself, I'm never going to take my dog hunting because he could get injured doing what he loves, or I can allow him to engage in an activity that he is driven to do and loves to do in spite of the risks involved.

Hell, we can even flip this to the medical side of the coin... Do you vaccine your dog w/every shot that is offered and available on the schedule that is deemed appropriate by the prescribing vet's office, clinic or vaccine company in spite of the fact that titer testing has proven that we are over vaccinating our dogs which is ultimately leading to early cancers and other autoimmune problems??

Titer testing has proven that most 'annual' shots remain effective for 2-3 years. So, who's the better dog parent? The guys that follows every protocol and recommendation on their dog's vaccine schedule, adds additional shots throughout the dog's life such as rattlesnake vaccines, etc. to ensure their dog is immune from 'everything' yet the dog dies at 8 due to cancer or other autoimmune illness; or is it the guy that chooses to vaccine based on absolute needs, does business w/a vet that believes in titer testing and pays a little extra for periodic blood tests to confirm efficacy???

Bottom line is, not everyone is a complete idiot and simply doing shit based on their stupidity or ignorance.

I'm guessing you're a pro-dog person and you actually care, which is a good thing and means we have a little more in common than what's staring at us face value. However, to assume that someone doesn't care or is 'ignorant to the possibilities that lurk within our daily motoring world' is very presumptive.

OP>>> Sorry, it wasn't my intention to turn your thread into a morals debate, so I'll stay on topic here...

If anyone else feels the need to debate the other aspects of my post(s) feel free to shoot me a PM

1lowlife likes this.
  18. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:54 AM
    dklehman

dklehman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Vehicle:
    2024 sr5 Tundra
    It only comes from the point of having to peel my german wirehairs body out of the windshield of my tacoma. In the junkyard and would like to prevent others from having to share that experience.

19. Apr 29, 2024 at 12:12 PM
    jmladdy

jmladdy New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    Yeah, I'm crewmax!

20. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:35 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Platform is approximately 26 1/2" x 50"; front legs (2 outer ones) are about 12 3/4" tall; and the rear legs are about 8 3/4" tall.

Leo's first and jmladdy[QUOTED] like this.
  21. May 3, 2024 at 5:50 AM
    jmladdy

jmladdy New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    Perfect!! I really appreciate you measuring for me. Thanks!

22. May 3, 2024 at 6:09 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Not to derail, but FWIW to prevent pet joint injuries, folding portable stairs are available. Bought ours on Amazon for about $80 and I put a clip on the seat framework for quick in/out. Sits in footwell nicely when not in use.

23. May 3, 2024 at 7:55 AM
    SD Surfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    We have steps in the house, mostly for Quincy (The little black and white one) He seems to think just getting off the couch or bed needs to resemble a dock dog competition for distance. We lift him in/out of the car.

upload_2024-5-3_7-46-59.jpg

We also have a couple of ramps that we used for Riley to get in/out of truck & trailer. (On the trailer steps in pic) These are a bit cumbersome so haven't really been getting used as a preventive measure for the young healthy two. I just try not to let them jump off of higher stuff. (Like, go from truck seat to floor first, then to ground) Stairs for the cars are not a bad idea though, thanks.

20220128_105106.jpg

20240229_161730.jpg

2mchfun[QUOTED] and 1lowlife like this.
  24. May 3, 2024 at 8:18 AM
    1lowlife

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    Well said...:thumbsup:

25. May 3, 2024 at 8:26 AM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    :hattip:

26. May 5, 2024 at 6:38 AM
    microbusbrewery

microbusbrewery New Member

Member:
    I bought this one for my 2016 CM, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCNBLGBR

Right now it’s $20 off coupon, plus an additional 10% off.

We have two golden doodles that collectively weigh about 110lbs and it’s worked great. It uses plastic honeycomb inserts that won’t mold or degrade from water exposure. They claim it supports up to 330lbs. It only leaves an a little bit of the seat uncovered on each side…maybe an inch.

To Top