1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Belt diagram for 2008 5.7L tundra

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Dispatchy, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Oct 10, 2015 at 8:13 PM
    Dispatchy

Dispatchy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    BLACK 2008 TUNDRA
    TOPPER
    I just replaced the old cracked serpentine belt on my 2008 5.7L Tundra with a new belt but now the belt screams like a woman in heat, following a belt inspection everything looks to be in order but I have no belt diagram to be certain. I could not see an under-hood belt diagram that so many vehicles have so I need help to secure an accurate diagram. There was absolutely no belt squealing issues with the old cracked belt until the new belt was installed.

2. Oct 10, 2015 at 8:58 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I had the same issues with my truck, screaming and squealing but on mine it was the tensioner and idler pulleys. I changed the belt out also with a gator back belt from Goodyear. Fairly inexpensive fix. Hope this helps

3. Oct 10, 2015 at 10:02 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Lol'd at "women in heat" :rofl:

I had the same issue with my 2012. Dealer could replicate it :(

rons23 likes this.
  4. Jun 7, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Here ya go

large.jpg

baraynavab likes this.
  5. Jun 7, 2016 at 7:08 PM
    Yotalife

Yotalife New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 white sr5
    Did you have to order it or pick it up from a Goodyear shop.

6. Jun 8, 2016 at 12:05 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Na, got mine through Summit Racing

7. Jun 19, 2016 at 1:52 PM
    Yotalife

Yotalife New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 white sr5
    Thanks for the diagram. Solved the problem. Now I know what garage not to use because they didn't even check for correct routing of the belt. They said it looked right. Fixed it this morning.

Trooper2 likes this.
  8. May 18, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    davidnanita

davidnanita New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    none
    I too recently replaced my 2008 Tundra's serpertine belt with a Gates belt. It squealed on start up and every time thereafter. I knew that I had done the job correctly, checked all of the pulleys for any bearing issues and made sure that the belt fit was correct. Therefore the problem must be with the belt and I assumed the belt would wear-in in time. After a week of it squealing and being the object of many of my friends' attention, I revisited my work.

It was then that I discovered that you can route the belt differently than Toyota's design. It will be a tight fit, but it can be put on with the belt groves in the groved pulleys and the back side of the belt on the smooth ones! After changing to the correct configeration, the squealing went away and so did all of the unwanted attention. Below is a copy of both the correct and the incorrect belt installations. I hope that you will not have to perform this task twice also!

upload_2018-5-18_18-38-21.jpg

9. Jun 30, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    Scott G

Scott G New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Crew Max
    Be careful when routing the new belt. The common error seems to be the section from the tensioner to the alternator (generator). Belt seems to fit either way; (refer to diagram in link in previous reply). By routing the belt incorrectly around alternator pulley I believe the alternator turns in wrong direction. Also be prepared to get cuts and scrapes on the back of your hands if you don't wear some kind of mechanics gloves. The edges of the plastic injection molded fan shroud and wire loom retaining clips are sharp and unavoidable because of the limited space at front of engine.

08crewmax likes this.
  10. Feb 29, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    Harley337

Harley337 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    none
    Man, this post made my day. Thanks so much. I recently replaced my water pump, tensioner and idler and belt. Only to have it squeal like a pig when I first started, every time! I quickly learned that belt was on wrong, (Your diagram indicates). Once it was on correctly, she's back to starting right.
    Thanks again

11. Mar 12, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    FrozenTundra3

FrozenTundra3 New Member

Member:
    I have a question for rons23. Any possibility that you have the part number for that Gatorback? I have been using Gatorback belts on my Toyotas for years and never have had an issue with them. My only issue is that the Goodyear site does not have the Tundra listed as a look-up choice, and I checked your lead at Summit, as well as an hour of Bing searches and still no luck finding this belt. It is if Gatorback doesn't make one for the 5.7L Tundra. I just missed out on one on E-Bay for my 4.0L 04 4Runner and can't find a place that sells that on either. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

12. Sep 22, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    Borgunit

Borgunit New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Rock Warrior
    I think the gatorback belts have changed to Continental Elite belts. Not sure why.

13. Dec 20, 2022 at 8:12 PM
    Seattle996

Seattle996 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LX470.. future Tundra owner
    This saved me from almost having a mental breakdown, thank you!! Lol

Products Discussed in

To Top