1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Becoming an Officer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SlickRick2013Tundra, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM
    SlickRick2013Tundra

SlickRick2013Tundra [OP] #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Mandeville, LA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD CM MGM 4x4
    Toytech Boss 3in Lift kit Iron Cross side step TRD Sway Bar TRD Cold Air Intake Blacked out Badges Blacked out front and rear bumpers
    A little update...

I finally got a hit with New Orleans PD. Should be heading down there next week for testing...

Is there anything I need to know or what I need to study on? I've been taking the practice test and I'm doing fine but I want to do great.

Thanks

2. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I'm not a LEO. But there are plenty of LEOs here. Hope they chime in. Good luck.

3. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Good luck Rick! I really admire men and women that devote their time to making a difference, volunteer or paid positions

4. Jul 20, 2017 at 11:50 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Is it just the written? Basic reading, grammar, and math skills. Some include scenarios - but remember, they don't expect you answer like an officer as you do not have the training. Just think of safety for you, and others if so...if it involves suspects be sure to memorize the descriptions the best you can and possibly prepare a dummy CR (tests your writing / grammar)

5. Jul 21, 2017 at 2:53 AM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    In the interview talk a lot about community policing. Learn the demographics of New Orleans and read their mission statement. Let them know you have planned financially for the move and are ready to join their department.

6. Jul 21, 2017 at 4:08 AM
    warlord192

warlord192 Get off my lawn !!

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky metallic Tundra Double Cab
    Are you ready to miss family gatherings, holidays with your family? Using the drive thru somewhere to get the 99 cent heart attack in a bag because its 0200 and its the first break you've had because of your work load. Working the night shift(1800 - 0600) get home by 0630(maybe) speed sleep for a bit , be in traffic court by 0900 stay till 1100 go home speed sleep some more till 1400 be in municipal court by 1500 stay there until 1700 then go work your regular shift at 1800. The stress that you will be under and the stress that your wife/girl friend will be under worrying about your well being and a whole host of other things that will happen. Yes, I point out the negative only because of my 37 years of experience as a LEO from a working road toad up to a Watch Commander(LT). And it cost me a marriage and a whole bunch of other things family related and if given the choice to do it again I would without hesitation. There is a bond between police just like the military that unless you've been there you wouldn't understand.:oldglory:

7. Jul 21, 2017 at 4:19 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    long....but you asked so here goes...

I would highly reccomend you consider applying for Federal Law Enforcement. Much higher salaries, excellent retirement benefits/pension, medical benefits, 20 yr retirement, many locales to be stationed and your overtime or AUO is on the job not scratching for side jobs. The best of the best training, computers, field equipment, firearms, vehicles, etc. Many local PD's have pretty set budgets and they get what they get as far as $$$ go. Asset forfeiture helps local PDs with vehicles and some equipment, but they are constrained by the local state, county or city, government.

There are lots of federal law enforcement opportunities timing is key. If your a Veteran that is a huge plus. They have a program called VRA- Veterans Readjustment Act which you can be hired under. A degree or military service is very helpful and with most federal opportunities makes you a very competitive applicant. Any criminal history e.g. arrests, history of casual drug use including the (devils weed) or financial issues or lots of consumer debt will disqualify an applicant.

I had application in for State LEO opportunities in NYS Police or Va State Police. Looking back, I can only tell you that I am so glad I went into federal law enforcement, had a really great career and finally after 35 yrs retired Oct 1 2015. My last 3 yrs, I gave talks and recruited at colleges, was a program manager for applicant testing, and video tape interviewing, pretty cool. Prior to this, I taught for 3.5 yrs at the FLETC aka- (Club Fed)or Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, in Glynco Ga, a really great gig.

The FED LEO/Agent application process is really long. If hired prepare for Financial disclosures, intense background checks and ongoing background interview every (5) yrs.

Most FED LEO jobs are hired off this website, with exception FBI and DEA. I prefer not to discuss details about the agency I worked for for a myriad of reasons, as I did sign a nondisclosure agreement when I retired.

But general questions and application info can found right when there are openings in many FED LEO positions or federal jobs in general. Big decision that will impact and change your life if you get on board, but worthy of a look.
    OP you can PM me if you have questions.
    Best of luck!

https://www.usajobs.gov

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  8. Jul 21, 2017 at 5:39 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I have a friend/co-corker whose daughter recently became a US Marshal. Parole Division I think. She was valedictorian at UC Boulder which probably didn't hurt her chances getting in. Quite frankly she's kind off bass ass now and loves firearms. Who knew?

9. Jul 21, 2017 at 5:43 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Congrats Rick!
    Thank you for taking up a job where you serve others in your community!

I'm sure I speak for all of us on here when I say "we've got your six!"

10. Jul 21, 2017 at 5:50 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Very cool! :thumbsup: She went through her basic training at FLETC.

11. Jul 21, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    warlord192

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    Rick,I applaud your decision to become a LEO as this job is not everyone's forte. And during my tenure I had a lot of good experience's and got some very good feelings from helping someone just know and be prepared for what you're getting into. And should you join NOPD I wish you all the best and you and any other LEO may rest assured that if crap is going south and I see you need help I got your back !!

12. Jul 21, 2017 at 7:00 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Good luck in your exam and wish you get the job you're looking for. Just remember your anti-bias training and use of force continuum. Not sure of the exam requires knowledge of their revised statutes. Just a few things to consider since I don't know what the exam entails.

13. Jul 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Good luck Rick. Let us all know how you feel about the testing when completed.

I second federal service, but to each their own. The federal officers I know have had 6 weeks of vacation since day one. Pretty sweet gig. Unfortunately about federal service is the understaffing, which is dangerous in this line of work.

I went out for federal, but my past caught up to me...lol. No Bueno, and disqualified.

14. Jul 21, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    Flyinryank

Flyinryank New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 CM 4x4
    AFE Dry S Drop-In Filter TRD Air Accelerator TRD Radiator Cap TRD Fuel Cap TRD Pro Grill/Hood Body Mount Chop Bilstein 6112s CB Shim on Driver Side Bilstein 5160s ICON Rear Spring Pack Factory Painted Door Handles BFG KO2s 305/65R18 Method NV 18x9 +25 NFAB RKR Rails SDHQ ABS Guards SDHQ Ditch Light Brackets Baja Designs Squadron Pros
    If you've served you should be able use your GI Bill. Otherwise you can look into larger departments that run their own POST academy's.

This way you not only can save 7k but get paid while getting burned down and yelled at. Makes the academy much easier knowing your making money while dealing with all the BS you're gonna go through.

Edit:
    Guess I should have read more than the first few posts before replying. Lol

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  15. Jul 21, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    SlickRick2013Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Mandeville, LA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD CM MGM 4x4
    Toytech Boss 3in Lift kit Iron Cross side step TRD Sway Bar TRD Cold Air Intake Blacked out Badges Blacked out front and rear bumpers
    Hello everyone sorry it took me awhile to reply back to everyone just been one of those crazy busy day.

Well first off I just want to thank everyone for their wonderful response. I will take every responses to heart and i do have a lot more to learn but im willing to learn all I can. I just have to say this is one of the best forum out there with a great group of humble people. I really appreciate that tremendously.

And second of all the main reason why I do want to become an office and hopefully move up to something great is because I main want to protect my family and after thinking about that I want to protect everyone's family so we all can go home safely to out loved ones.

I have though and talked this through with my spouse and kids a lot and they do understand what it's going to do and the sacrifices I would have to take. They appreciate what I'm wanting to do and have said that they got my six.

I can not thank you guys enough for everything here but again THANK YOU GUYS my tundra family

mdavis, TXMiamiFan and ColoradoTJ like this.
  16. Jul 21, 2017 at 9:47 PM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    I have a friend who has taken many CQB training courses for his career and he told me that they trained him to stay a few feet out from the wall when traversing a hallway. Apparently there have been studies done that prove bullets tend to "hug the wall". I am not sure if there in any validity to this or not. Has anyone ever heard of what I am referring to?

17. Jul 21, 2017 at 9:49 PM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    I shot the cement ground about 3 feet in front of me at a 45 degree angle for training. The bullet followed the concrete and hit a target 20' away at only 6" off the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2018
  18. Jul 21, 2017 at 10:18 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    My thought process for the wall is you have one side that is protected from bullets and stabbings- at least in jails. If someone comes out firing they usually fire down the tunnel of death- not towards a wall.

Just like clearing a room- I hug a wall upon entering (dependent if you're entry, secondary, third etc)
    If I'm entry I'm going to the left and clearing. Secondary is going right wall, and 3rd is going middle to clear.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  19. Jul 21, 2017 at 10:32 PM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    I agree, it seems like hugging the wall would be a better option when clearing a room/small building compared to plunging into the middle of the room. However he said that this method is supposed to only be used when going down a large corridor or hallway. The primary reasoning behind this method supposedly has something to do with ricochets tend to end up hugging the wall. Though, in my opinion it still feels like it would be a safer position to be closer to the wall. I am not sure though. I know when clearing a room you want to hug the wall/corner (upon entry) as much as possible so you can get the whole team in the room as soon as possible.

ColoradoTJ and T-Rex266 like this.
  20. Aug 10, 2017 at 6:14 PM
    SlickRick2013Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Mandeville, LA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD CM MGM 4x4
    Just got the the results for the written part and I passed so now I'm having to go back and do my physical test and wait for background and panel interview

Patriot, Flyinryank, T-Rex266 and 3 others like this.
  21. Aug 10, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Congrats!!

22. Aug 10, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    SlickRick2013Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Mandeville, LA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD CM MGM 4x4
    Thank you

TXMiamiFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Aug 10, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    Nice work! Good luck!

24. Aug 10, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    SlickRick2013Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Mandeville, LA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD CM MGM 4x4
    Thank you

4x4_Angel[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Aug 11, 2017 at 5:51 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Wishing you the best in your career Rick, remember this-

My Dad taught me -Integrity is ALWAYS doing the right thing, even when no one is watching. Never let anyone take yours, guard it fiercely. There are bad cops out there, Sadly, I arrested several during my career, who just made very bad permanent life altering decisions.

These few very important words guided me well through a 35 career in Federal Law Enforcement.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  26. Oct 28, 2017 at 10:48 PM
    SlickRick2013Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Mandeville, LA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD CM MGM 4x4
    Hey everyone more update...

I passed my physical easily and had my panel interview. Got accepted to move onto background and now this is the last step that I need to take. I'm 30 years old now and it's a little hard trying to remember very job and every place I lived at.

I'm very nervous with this part. I have nothing to hide or have done any wrong doing but I've heard that it can be harsh and they will try to get me mad. I'm a very easy going guy and have a lot of patience.

Is there any advice or need to know before my background?

I'm schedule for my background on Monday morning.

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  27. Oct 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    No, just know what you can. If you show any signs of deception it may be a DQ. Honesty is the best policy.

28. Oct 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM
    SlickRick2013Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Mandeville, LA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD CM MGM 4x4
    That's what I'm planning on doing try to remember anything I can and be very truthful with everything. I went through a lot in my early 20s and a lot of it has been a blur that's the only thing I'm nervous about. But I know for a fact it's nothing about breaking the law or anything to that extent

4x4_Angel and SouthBoundSteve like this.
  29. Oct 29, 2017 at 12:58 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    long answer- no apologies haha.
    One thing for sure the truth is pretty easy to consistenly remember. Omit nothing. Ommisions or voids in your discussion or statements are not good. Good interviewers usually call these signs of deception. This usually indicates a person is wanting to avoid talking about a not so good detail of who they really are or bad experiences they don't wish to share. It's just human nature to omit or "bury our trash or the negative life stuff". If those details omitted were or are unlawful and they find about it during your interview or even later post interview you can be terminated from the process or employment if hired. Applicant BI screenings are strict and they need to be. Still some applicants slip through, it happens. They usually don't last in career Law Enforcement positions in my experience.

You said your moving into a background investigation(BI). Most agency BI usually are completed and then if there are questions and concerns you are interviewed about the results of the BI. I honestly have never heard of interviewer(s) trying to get an applicant mad during a (BI). So I am not sure what you mean. Has your BI been completed and they want to talk to you about it?

If you tell any interviewer that you went through a lot in your mid 20's and it's a "blur" that won't be a helpful answer at all. I suggest you NOT say this. Keep in mind you are applying for a career that absolutely requires full and complete memory of facts of what occurred if you are hired.
    So if you don't give full and complete answers, usually its simply considered or noted, applicant gave an incomplete answer, Or did not fully explain the answer. They may ask you additional information to get you to expand on the answer, but they will never coach you for more info. It's up to you, you either provide it voluntary or you don't. Yep, it's a bare your soul time for lack of better words. They need to know you are going to be trustworthy if hired.

If you gave excellent references that can completely verify your work ethic, integrity, character, financial stability (credit history) you should be fine. No blurs.
    Trust me they know you are going to be nervous, all applicants are. This is a opportunity that you want and they know it. Clear, honest, concise answers will be to your advantage. I have seen hundreds of applicants and applications during my career. I wish you the best.

The truth is easy to remember. Good Luck!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Sunnier, mdavis, 4x4_Angel and 4 others like this.
  30. Oct 29, 2017 at 4:22 AM
    warlord192

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    Best of luck to you, you'll do fine. :cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top