1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad steering rack bushings

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by trayday, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Oct 10, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    trayday

trayday [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM
    7" BDS w/Bilstein 5100s, 20" Fuel Mavericks, 35x12.5 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Magnaflow 50 series muffler, Modiefied intake box w/AFE dry filter, PIAA super white bulbs, N-Fab steps, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Hypertech calibrator, TRD Pro shift knob
    During an alignment, the shop found that my truck has a worn steering rack bushing. Hopefully I can have it covered under warranty but am unsure if the 7" BDS lift or the 35" tires will void the warranty. Has anyone experienced this? What is the cost of the repair? I had the lift installed at a shop and will find the receipt before my appointment.

2. Oct 10, 2016 at 5:35 PM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
  3. Oct 10, 2016 at 9:16 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Rock Warrior 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    He bushing is different than what I had. I had essentially a seal blow out. Cost me near $2k.
    The bushings won't be more than $50 each. Labor shouldn't be bad either, just depends on what needs to be removed to get them replaced.

4. Oct 11, 2016 at 9:48 AM
    trayday

trayday [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM
    7" BDS w/Bilstein 5100s, 20" Fuel Mavericks, 35x12.5 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Magnaflow 50 series muffler, Modiefied intake box w/AFE dry filter, PIAA super white bulbs, N-Fab steps, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Hypertech calibrator, TRD Pro shift knob
    The shop said they'd have to remove the center piece of the lift and that they didn't have the right equipment to complete the task. They replaced the same bushings on my friends Tacoma for a little over 200$. For the Tundra they recommended to have the dealership to replace the bushings. Do you think the lift and wheels will void the warranty on this part?

5. Nov 9, 2016 at 3:29 PM
    trayday

trayday [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM
    After my appointment at the Toyota, they denied a warranty claim stating that the tires and lift were the cause of the bad bushings and the repair bill would be $2700+ to replace the steering rack. Said to pull the engine to get to the rack and that they don't replace only the bushings. I bought Energy Suspension steering rack bushings for the 2007-13 Tundra instead of replacing the rack and went to an independent shop. You can see where the shop had to cut holes out of the crossmember to drop the bolts to fit a chisel up to get the sleeves out. He then just welded the new piped metal. Something to consider about your Tundra. I should've replaced the stock bushings when I had the lift installed.bushings.jpg .

To Top