1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup camera switches to black screen

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by craigerman, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Feb 16, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    craigerman

craigerman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tundra CrewMax Limited
    3" lift, matching topper
    Hi all,

The backup camera on my 2007 Tundra CM Limited is suddenly not working. When I shift into reverse, the console screen just goes black. It has done this in the past, and I just had to jiggle the wires in the back to make it work again. I replaced the tailgate handle last weekend, and the camera worked fine for a few days, but is now black again. I took the tailgate cover off and jiggled the wires, cleaned the connectors and made sure they were tight, and checked for any loose wires, and still nothing. Not sure what to do next at this point. Don't really want to spend the money on a new handle/camera if it is something else. Anyone else ever have this happen? Obviously the truck works fine, it's more of an inconvenience.

2. Feb 16, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    craigerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, matching topper
    Well, I may be in luck. I was messing with the last connector on the camera cable, and got it working. I have the camera out now, and am going to try cleaning both ends of the connector and see if that does the trick. Might just be a loose/corroded connection. Hopefully anyway.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    craigerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, matching topper
    Yeah, me too. Looks like it was just a faulty connection. I cleaned both sides with some alcohol and put some dielectric grease on it. At least I know where to attack first now if/when it stops working again.

NewImprovedRon likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top