1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back up camera issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by andrew, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Jul 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    andrew

andrew [OP] where's the beer?

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    2012 rockwarrior
    stock
    On my 2012 tundra, the back up camera doesn't work half the time. Anyone else have issues with this? I just get a blue screen and it shuts off. I am assuming it's overheating in the arizona sun, or a loose connection?

2. Jul 13, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Never heard of that one. Sounds like loose connection though. Doubt it's from overheating

3. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Sounds like a loose connection....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    ODSteve likes this.
  4. Jul 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    andrew

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    2012 rockwarrior
    stock
    Yeah, loose connection is my first guess. I just think it's odd. It now happens everyone in a while when it's cool out, but it definitely a lot more prevalent in the heat. Maybe that the expanding in heat makes it just loose enough it mess up? Anyone have any diagrams on how the wiring is routed?

5. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Im willing to bet money there is a temp cut off in the mirror say 150 degrees... Try this if you have a window shade for your windshield try it and see if temp is the issue.

6. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    andrew

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    2012 rockwarrior
    stock
    I'll have to try that out! :thumbsup: I was just thinking about buying one of those anyways. I just took apart the tailgate and checked the connectors, all seemed well. Didn't want to check too much more out since there is a lightning storm outside and all :bananadead:

7. Jul 15, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton Jorts Rule!

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    My '13 has had intermittent camera issues since day one. I don't get a blue screen, I just don't get any response at all and am still looking at the map. Nothing I try gets it to come back, until it just randomly decides to work again later. At first it was happening about every 4th or 5th time going into reverse, but now it's down to maybe once out of every 40 or 50 times. Of course the dealer's never been able to replicate it.:annoyed:Good luck with finding a solution.

8. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    andrew

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    2012 rockwarrior
    stock
    That sucks man, have you checked the connections? It sounds like one of the pins might be damaged or lose and it's only gettin partial input.

9. Jul 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton Jorts Rule!

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    My guess is there's got to be a shift position sensor somewhere that's sticking and not realizing I'm in reverse. I don't have a clue as to where that is though. Could be mechanical with the shift lever, but I'd assume it's the same switch that tells the backup lights to come on. Crap! I just realized that I've never gotten out of the truck and checked the dang backup lights when it happens, so I could be asking for someone to hit me in a parking lot because they don't know I'm backing down! :mad:

10. Feb 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM
    sonns904

sonns904 New Member

Member:
    Orlando fl
    Vehicle:
    2011 white crewmax
    Mine doesn't work at all. I was going to make a new thread but after reading this, it's obviously pointless....

11. Dec 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14' Black TRD CM
    TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) TRD Pro Grill BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox Dipped wheels & bumpers Undercover Swingcase SunTek Paint Protection film Yellow Lamin-X Fog Overlays Tint Bedmat
    A friend of mine is having the same blue screen issue, except we are in PA, it's definitely not heat related. The dealership has had it in and out of the shop, not the camera, not the mirror, they checked the connections, now going to check in the dash.

I will let you know what his outcome is.

Any updates on your end?

12. Dec 15, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    andrew

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    2012 rockwarrior
    stock
    Thanks man, still no updates. It does it in regular temps and freezing temps as well so I'm at a loss for what could be causing it. I'm going to see if maybe it's worse when it's humid but since it happens about 1/4 of the times I back up, I just ignore it and forget to log of its humid or not. The pins and stuff on the tailgate looked clean when I tore it apart a while ago. Half the time it goes out, the screen will get wavy and distorted, then just go blue. Other times it will just come in blue. When I get some extra time I will have to try trouble shooting it again.

13. Dec 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM
    MotoTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14' Black TRD CM
    TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) TRD Pro Grill BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox Dipped wheels & bumpers Undercover Swingcase SunTek Paint Protection film Yellow Lamin-X Fog Overlays Tint Bedmat
    Alright, thanks for the info. He mentioned something about a wire covering for interference in the dash, I guess they are going to look at that next.

I will post his updates.

14. Oct 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM
    MotoTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14' Black TRD CM
    Sorry I didn't update. Toyota fixed it under warranty after multiple attempts. Their explanation was that there was an interference issue with wires in the dash that should be been shielded that weren't. The interference was causing the error. They corrected that issue and my buddy's truck has been fine since.

Law323 likes this.
  15. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    thumper7799

thumper7799 Bad Girls Drive Bad Toys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erika
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dark blue Tundra SR5 duel exhaust
    My back up cam worked fine until we had several days of rain when I was in Houston a few months ago. Now, when I'm in reverse, I just see black. Some of the research I've done says it is possibly a short but I can't fix that. Sooo, at this point, I guess I will take it into the dealership but I have a feeling it's going to cost some bucks! :angrygirl:

RowdyRon likes this.
To Top