1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AZ BS

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Rextinkleton93, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jul 28, 2020 at 9:23 PM
    Olson

Olson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    Count me in.. idk how much I can air down with the 20” wheels but I could air down a little bit

robabeatle likes this.
  2. Jul 28, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    TundraPHX

TundraPHX Ryan started the fire.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Hey guys. It’s another stupid lift question. I’ve been through the forums 10 times. I’m also in the AZTG on FB. I’m sure most of y’all here are too. I know everyone does the 3/1. Can you do a 4/2 with icons? I’ve been eyeing Westcott designs lifts lately and I think he does a trd problift with the foxes.I’ve got An AZ toy pros quote for a stage 5 icon lift. But I’m really wondering if I should goto a 4 inch lift for clearance. I don’t do any extreme wheeling but I enjoy all of our state and don’t want to be limited. Do any of you wish you had another inch of clearance? My wheels will be rock warriors and I think those are something like +50 offset and I hope to run 35” nitto ridge grapplers. I’m open to change on the tires.

3. Jul 28, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    Rextinkleton93

Rextinkleton93 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Superwhite 4x4
    first thing, the fb page is mostly full of terrible advice. Mostly people that take pictures of their trucks in curbs. Don’t take suspension advice from there haha.

stick with the 3/1. To get more than that up front you would need to go to a drop bracket lift which will end up hurting your clearance. With coilovers set at 3” and 35” tires you will be super happy. That’s what the majority of people run here.

once you go to a 4” (not even sure they make one) or a 6” lift you are more than likely going to end up with a big ole spacer on the top of your factory shocks and a big block in the rear. Performance wise you would be better leaving it stock.

IMO just get a good set of coilovers, upper arms and rear shocks and you will be happy for a while. King, fox, ADS, icon are all good quality and will ride great.

good luck!

4. Jul 28, 2020 at 10:28 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    I'm at 3.5" up front by using the TRD Pro shocks (I've got the older Bilstein version) along with Coachbuilder shims (2 per side) and then Jeff at Westcott Designs added their collar from their TRD Pro kit to gain the extra 1/2". In the rear I'm running the TRD Pro shocks with the Coachbuilder +3 shackles. No issues at all. Running 295/70/18 Cooper AT3 XLT's without a CMC.

TundraPHX and Bob_Wiley like this.
  5. Jul 28, 2020 at 10:32 PM
    Bob_Wiley

Bob_Wiley I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful...

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black SR5 Crewmax 5.7 FFV
    If you guys had to choose between upgrading rims / tires or upgrading suspension, which would you do and why?

I’d love to do both but realistically only have the budget to do one in the near-term.

TundraPHX and AZTundra like this.
  6. Jul 28, 2020 at 10:34 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Well...If you wanted to run bigger tires you'd need the suspension lift first to make the extra room needed, so I'd start there if it were me.

Edit: Also consider how much tread you currently have.

TundraPHX and Bob_Wiley[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Aug 10, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    robabeatle

robabeatle New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4x4 LTD AC
    Bilstein 6112 & 5160, Katskinz, audio upgrades
    (Put this in the wrong thread at first):

Checked out the Tucson wash with a friend yesterday. Lots of places to explore and some side roads that are a little more gnarly than the main dirt wash, which we saw a sedan rolling through.

8. Aug 26, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
  9. Aug 27, 2020 at 7:39 PM
    liquid_g

liquid_g New Member

Member:
    Grantham, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Hey guys I posted this on the AZ Tundras FB page, but figured I'd ask here too.

Need some urgent help. I have stock 2018 Platinum with the 20" wheels. Couple months ago swapped the OEM Tires out for All-terrain Nitto Ridge Grapplers (still on the stock 20" platinum wheels) Earlier this week I had my 20K mile service done at Autonation Toyota in Tempe, which included a tire rotation. I bought this truck there (used) and they've always been good to deal with.

As soon as I got the truck back I took a quick run on the highway and noticed a pretty decent vibration in the steering wheel starting around 55mph and worse around 65-70. Immediately brought it back to AutoNation and told the service advisor. We talked and told him the tires were pretty new, and he suggested that I contact the place I bought them from and see if they can check/balance the wheels. Fair enough.

Went to a Big O Tires today (where i bought them from) and asked to have the wheels balanced. While they didn't charge me, which was nice, I did ask if any of the wheels were out of balance. The response I got was "I dunno, we just rip the old weights off and balance them" Seems less than efficient if you ask me but whatever..

The problem I have is now the vibration is actually worse. I could have tolerated it before but this is 10x worse that it was.

The urgent part of this post is I'm supposed to make a 10 Hour Drive to eastern Colorado on Monday, pulling a small RV. I need this fixed asap.

So I need some advice here, should I bring it back to AutoNation and see what they can do? Or is there any shop anyone can recommend that can actually balance a wheel properly, especially a big all-terrain tire? Any ideas what could be wrong? My guess is that the wheels on the back always had a small vibration and I didn't notice it until they were rotated up front? Any input is appreciated.

10. Aug 27, 2020 at 7:44 PM
    Rextinkleton93

Rextinkleton93 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Superwhite 4x4
    If it got worse when they rebalanced them then that’s most likely the issue. Take it to a better shop and have them rebalance them. When you leave get on the highway, if it’s still there go right back and tell them that it’s worse or better.

could always try a road force balance, but that’s not always the answer. Should be in the tires, just take it somewhere else, hopefully they will care more that that big-o

TRDFerguson and AZBoatHauler like this.
  11. Aug 27, 2020 at 10:22 PM
    WBW

WBW Resident lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Surface of the Sun - AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Tundra SR5 2WD
    You will likely have to pay Discount Tire on Elliot between Hardy & Priest on the north side of the road. While you didn't purchase the tires there they will balance them & get it right the first time.
    Or, if you prefer to stay within the Big O Tires the 48th Street & Warner location has a very good manager. Her name is Brooke. Tell her your issue & I'm sure she will fix the issue. What Big O Tires have you been going to? If you pm me I'll give you more information so you can name drop me with her. I've worked with her for several years.
    Anyway, hello from Chandler (Dobson/Elliot) & good luck.

Lil Steve and TRDFerguson like this.
  12. Aug 27, 2020 at 10:50 PM
    AZ_Tundra1

AZ_Tundra1 Gold member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Tundra SR5
    Bilstien 6112 front shocks set at 1.9"
    TRDFerguson likes this.
  13. Aug 28, 2020 at 7:21 AM
    liquid_g

liquid_g New Member

Member:
    Grantham, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Thanks guys for the responses. The big-o I went to yesterday was on rural/broadway. I have no preference where I go just want to get it fixed. @WBW i'll shoot you a PM. Thanks!

14. Aug 28, 2020 at 2:21 PM
    liquid_g

liquid_g New Member

Member:
    Grantham, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Per the suggestion of @WBW I ended up going to Big-O on 48th/Warner. They got me rolling smooth again. Thanks all!

15. Sep 8, 2020 at 6:54 AM
    Double Badass

Double Badass For Thoughs about to Rock we SALUTE you

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra Crewmax
    6 inch pro comp coilover lift, 20 fuel wheels 35 nitto mud grapplers, colorbomb blackout, rigid industries lights, amp steps
    Hi all you Arizonans, just thinking about doing a Crown king run with my tundra on October 3. Just seeing if anyone would be down to join me. It's just me and my brother (2018 cement gray tundra:yay:) and a taco guy, let me know if your interest.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  16. Sep 13, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    Olson

Olson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek,AZ
    Vehicle:
    what day and where is that? I live in queen creek.

Double Badass[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Sep 16, 2020 at 4:15 AM
    Double Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    6 inch pro comp coilover lift, 20 fuel wheels 35 nitto mud grapplers, colorbomb blackout, rigid industries lights, amp steps
    We had to change the date due too work so Saturday October 3. The trail begins by Lake Pleasant and it ends in a mountain town Crown King. Plan for pretty much 3/4 of a day. We have 3 tundras 1 taco 3 jeeps going so far.

18. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    Olson

Olson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Will a stock tundra be ok? I don’t have aftermarket tires or wheels.

Double Badass[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:16 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    I would not take my stock truck through there. Could it make it, sure but it would be work in places

Double Badass likes this.
  20. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:44 AM
    Olson

Olson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Dang... ya my truck is new so can’t justify getting rid of a new set of tires. After this set is ready to be changed I’ll take the leap and do a lift, wheels, and tires.

21. Sep 16, 2020 at 12:19 PM
    chainslap

chainslap New Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Looking to pickup a 2020 or 21 Tundra soon in Phoenix. Best dealers or any contacts? Not wanting to pay MSRP of course and doesn't seem like any of the dealers are itching to make deals. So I may wait in the end.

22. Sep 16, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I can give you the contact I used at Camelback Toyota. Not sure about the current inventory.

23. Sep 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    chainslap

chainslap New Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    PM it on over. They have one I would consider if it was a great deal but looking for an Army Green Double Cab.

24. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:10 PM
    AZ_Tundra1

AZ_Tundra1 Gold member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Tundra SR5
    The section after the mine with the ledge and deep ruts would probably cause some bottoming out for the middle and rear on a stock truck. These trucks are long and wide.

25. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    AZ_Tundra1

AZ_Tundra1 Gold member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Tundra SR5
    I had good luck at big two Toyota. I always felt really pressured at camelback and ended up buying my truck at right Toyota, but I was there for the better part of half a day to get a good deal. At big two I helped a friend get a great deal on a Tacoma and the guy almost instantly gave us a great deal without all the hassle.

26. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:50 PM
    Bob_Wiley

Bob_Wiley I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful...

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black SR5 Crewmax 5.7 FFV
    I’m sure people have different experiences at different dealerships. Personally, I absolutely hate Big Two Toyota and will probably never buy a vehicle from there. Long story, maybe just a bad salesperson I was working with, but that place sucked.

AZ_Tundra1[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    AZ_Tundra1

AZ_Tundra1 Gold member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Tundra SR5
    It's definitely the sales person, when I went back to buy my truck I started at big two and the salesman I got was awful, apparently he was the manager. When I would try to haggle I would just get "Your so smart". Like dude, haggle or don't but don't waste everyones time playing bad mindgames. At right Toyota I ended up having to go up to the top guy at the dealership to make a decent deal. Each time was a "your crazy" but sure enough he made the deal in the end.

28. Sep 17, 2020 at 12:07 AM
    Double Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Stock will make it but like a couple of guys here said a bit of clearance is recommended for sure. I normally drill my jeep but the trail is no challenge for Nomad! Never done the trail in my truck, but 2 wheel drive will make it.

29. Sep 17, 2020 at 12:15 AM
    Double Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I got my 2006 and 2011 tundras at Tempe Toyota, got my Tacoma at Camelback and my 4 runner trd pro at Big two got my 2019 tundra at Bell road because they had the only Cement gray non trd 4x4 in the state. To be completely honest didn't really like any of them.

AZ_Tundra1 likes this.
  30. Sep 17, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    chainslap

chainslap New Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    This is pretty much how I feel at this point. Camelback has a swarm of sales people every time that seem to all have only been working there for 3 weeks and are pushy. They also touted their $500 door edge plastic which cracked me up. Right Toyota can't seem to be bothered to sell me something that they actually have and don't list any discounts. Talked to one person at Earnhardt who was pretty reasonable but haven't been there yet. Buying a car is such an unnecessary PITA.

Products Discussed in

To Top