1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto-Open Tailgate Mod / Build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by ncorry, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Feb 18, 2022 at 6:22 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax SR5 TRD Sport
    I *think* a 7 pin trailer plug has a constant hot but I haven't verified with my multimeter.

Nevermind, it's switched 12v.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  2. Feb 18, 2022 at 6:27 AM
    FredB32

FredB32 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD RW
    Ah, good call, might see if that would work.

In thinking a little bit more...since the actuators people are using are essentially 2-way actuators, how does that work for closing the tailgate? They push/pull in two directions? Is there enough force when the tailgate opens to release the rods? I'm wondering if over time it would cause any damage to the actuators themselves. You'd never really need a reverse polarity option, so pushing the button would essentially always be pulling, never pushing. But I'll assume if nobody had any problems to this point, you don't need to hold your tailgate closed and hit your remote button to reverse them to push the rods and engage the mechanism on either side?

3. Feb 18, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax SR5 TRD Sport
    Out of curiosity I just took a multimeter to my 7 pin and it's not constantly hot, it's only switched 12v, so scratch that idea.

FredB32[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 1, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    brkncly

brkncly New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Can this be done with an OEM tailgate power lock & unlock or does it have to to a certain brand and can this be done on 2020?

5. Mar 1, 2022 at 8:41 AM
    FredB32

FredB32 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD RW
    Are you talking about the whole setup and having it be activated by remote? Do you currently have power lock/unlock on your tailgate?

6. Mar 1, 2022 at 9:32 AM
    brkncly

brkncly New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I do not currently have power lock & unlock on my tailgate. I was going to purchase the OEM vs Pop&Lock power lock & unlock cause everybody is saying that the OEM is much quieter. If I were to go with the OEM lock & unlock can I still do this mod to where the tailgate drops down using the key fob?

7. Mar 1, 2022 at 9:38 AM
    FredB32

FredB32 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD RW
    I would say yes, since the tailgate dropdown setup is essentially a standalone mod. It should work with any locking setup.

8. Mar 1, 2022 at 9:41 AM
    brkncly

brkncly New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Be kind cool if you could also open your tailgate with Toyota's Connected Service Remote Start on a smart phone. Maybe through an auxiliary input

9. Mar 1, 2022 at 10:58 PM
    Ragnarkov

Ragnarkov New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Sky Metalic Platinum Tundra
    Nothing.... yet.
    So my 2021 platinum already has the remote tailgate unlock stock from Toyota. Would it be possible to tap into the power wires from the existing actuator for the 2 side latch actuators? Then I'd just need to wire the relay as well, and possibly keep all the extra added wiring inside the tailgate itself (so no need to run wiring from the side step areas).

I'm going to be installing a RCI Smartcap on my CC "hopefully" in the next week or 2. And that cap is notorious for not having any way whatsoever of unlocking/unlatching any of the panels from the inside. If I can get the tailgate to unlatch remotely with key, i'm golden, and can continue planning my in-bed camper idea.

10. Feb 2, 2023 at 1:15 PM
    chrisf111

chrisf111 New Member

Member:
    I'm going to do this mod soon. Has anyone done this recently and have links to the actuators that worked for them?

I am looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-...ords=Door+Lock+Actuator&qid=1675371831&sr=8-1

The one thing I'm not sure about is if they "release" when power is removed from them, allowing the tailgate to latch again.

The other thing I'm slightly concerned about is that the way this is set up if you are in the drivers or passenger seat playing with the lock/unlock button while driving you may end up dropping the tailgate! It would be cool to have another relay in the circuit that could break the circuit when the vehicle is in motion. It would have to be a source that is only hot when the vehicle is in motion, wired to a normal closed relay. I suppose you could tap into the "Drive" selection of the shifter some how.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

EDIT: received the actuators today and can confirm once power is removed they go 'slack'.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  11. Nov 8, 2023 at 4:38 PM
    Capt._Ian

Capt._Ian New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    K&N cold air intake, true dual flowmaster super 10 exhaust turn downs
    Okay I need some help I tried this over the past 2 days and I got the popnlock working. Got the actuators mounted up and wires ran. But when I tried to tie it all together with the relay and tr7 I about pulled my hair out. I put it into program mode hit it 14 times then 3 times then took it off program mode and when I hit the pulse 3xs the tr7 would light up but the output wouldn't even light up and led. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. Dec 7, 2023 at 7:25 PM
    PhotoNerd

PhotoNerd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Waterford, CT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Salsa Red Tundra DC SR5 4x4
    Chrome delete, Sequioa grill, bed lights, LED + head, fog & tail lights, Dynamat throughout, front & rear cameras, Pheonix PX6 13" head unit, 8" subwoofer, JBL speaker upgrades, tonneau cover, custom shifter, steering wheel cover
    Doing this mod in 2023 and the TR7 is no longer available. I substituted the Axxess AX-MTR instead and it works.

I have the 12-volt solutions remote starter with cellular app, so I can open my tailgate by pressing the unlock button on my watch or phone a few times. I'm living in the future.

One problem, though: it's triggered by both lock and unlock signals. So if I lock my truck, realize I left my phone inside, unlock it, grab my phone and relock if, suddenly my tailgate is open.

Is there a way to make it not triggered by lock signals?

I tried putting a relay connected to the lock and unlock wires, hoping the direction of the signal would only trigger the relay in one direction, but it still works both ways.

13. Dec 7, 2023 at 7:35 PM
    chrisf111

chrisf111 New Member

Member:
    I had the same issue with it trigger with both lock and unlock signals. I somehow fixed it but can't remember how at the moment, I want to say it was a combination of relays. I'll have to rip it open and figure out what I did.

PhotoNerd[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Dec 9, 2023 at 12:55 PM
    PhotoNerd

PhotoNerd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Waterford, CT
    Vehicle:
    Chrome delete, Sequioa grill, bed lights, LED + head, fog & tail lights, Dynamat throughout, front & rear cameras, Pheonix PX6 13" head unit, 8" subwoofer, JBL speaker upgrades, tonneau cover, custom shifter, steering wheel cover
    I solved the problem of triggering the TR-7 or AX-MTR with lock signals.

I tapped into my existing pop-and-lock blue and green wires. The blue wire gets 12v for unlock, the green wire gets 12v for lock.

But they're on a single circuit, so when you lock the doors, the current comes from the green wire and returns to ground via the blue wire.

I initially tapped into the blue wire to trigger the tailgate opener, but it didn't matter which direction the current was traveling, so it triggered with both lock and unlock signals. To determine the direction, I installed a relay AND a diode between the blue and green pop-and-lock wires and the TR-7 or AX-MTR.

Tap into the green pop-and-lock wire and connect a diode to it with the band towards the green wire. Connect the negative (black) wire from the relay to the other side of the diode.

Then connect the white/positive wire of the relay to the blue wire on the pop-and-lock (to get unlock signals). Connect the blue relay wire to the trigger wire of the TR-7 or AX-MTR. Connect the red relay wire to the always on 12V (or you could probably connect it to the same blue pop-and-lock wire).

Now the relay only triggers when current flows in the unlocking direction.

Thanks for all the help in this thread! Sorry I don't know how to draw diagrams.

15. Dec 9, 2023 at 1:07 PM
    chrisf111

chrisf111 New Member

Member:

Thanks for the update! I'm sure I did something similar. You hit the nail on the head with your explanation. The lock/unlock circuit is a single loop, with the signals switching direction for lock vs unlock. This confuses the TR-7. A diode is the perfect solution.

I configured mine to be triggered with three clicks of the unlock button, and it's been working perfectly for over six months now. I love the ability to trigger it from either the remote OR sitting in the driver's seat. I think I saw that you also added a button on the tailgate itself, I may do that, too. I hate pulling the handle (mostly because I have a history of breaking them on other trucks; they seem to be a weak point).

16. Dec 31, 2023 at 11:52 AM
    PhotoNerd

PhotoNerd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Waterford, CT
    Vehicle:
    Had to reprogram my trigger today and the instructions are so poorly written that I rewrote them. Hope this makes it easier for anyone following in my footsteps:

AXXESS AX-UTR Instructions

1. Slide the programming switch to on (away from wires)
    2. Disconnect and then reconnect the RED wire.
    3. PROGRAM THE FEATURE. Touch the BROWN wire to GROUND 14 times. Watch the red light blink back 14 times. If it blinks a different number of times, return to step 2.
    4. PROGRAM THE NUMBER OF UNLOCKS TO TRIGGER. Touch the BROWN wire to GROUND 3 times to program the number of unlocks needed. 2 gets accidentally triggered too often when switching into gear or remote starting, so 3 is the absolute minimum.
    5. START THE TIMER PROGRAMMING. Pulse the BROWN wire to GROUND once.
    6. PROGRAM THE MAX TIME BETWEEN UNLOCKS.
      1. MINUTES: The light flashes rapidly once, and you need to program the number of minutes to zero, so just wait 3 seconds.
      2. SECONDS (TENS PLACE): The light flashes rapidly twice, and you need to program the number of tens of seconds to zero, so just wait 3 seconds.
      3. SECONDS (ONES PLACE): The light flashes rapidly 3 times. Touch the BROWN wire 3-5 times to program how long you want it to wait. The light will flash back confirmation.
    7. The light flashes rapidly 4 times to indicate programing has completed. Then, it flashes rapidly for 3 seconds.
    8. Slide the programming switch to off (towards the wires).

chrisf111 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top