1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto-fold mirrors mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by bobeast, May 28, 2016.

1. Apr 3, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    scbtex

scbtex New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 TSS Off Road 4x4 CrewMax
    I'm looking into adding power-folding mirrors for my 2017 SR5 . Does anyone know if the mounting hardware changed from 2nd gen to 3rd gen? I'd prefer to put the older, non-memory mirrors on, along with this mod, instead of the memory mirrors.

2. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    No change

3. Apr 3, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    JoeJob

JoeJob Drummer for Booty and the Hoe Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Silver Sky
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    I've got a bead on a pair of power-fold mirrors from a 2012 Limited, but they don't have the blind spot monitoring. I'm fine with losing that feature, as I have my mirrors set up to minimize blind spots, but I don't know if that's going to screw up the rear cross traffic alert if it's disconnected at the mirror.

4. Apr 3, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    ldale

ldale New Member

Member:
    Txk Tx
    Vehicle:
    17' Limited Silver Sky Metalic
    Tonno Pro LowPro , TRD Sway Bar, Helwig Leaf Pack
    I had the dealer swap my Tow mirrors from my SR5 to my Limited. I did lose BSM and had to turn off the Cross Traffic Alert as well because it was causing an error. I've since found some Tow mirrors with BSM feature so all is good now. Mine is a 17' not sure if that matters.

5. Apr 3, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    JoeJob

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of, although maybe I could swap my mirror glass in and lose auto dim and turn signal, but regain BSM. I don't have auto dim or turn signal anyway, so it's not really a loss. Other option is to buy mirror glass that includes all options. This is assuming that the glass is the same size and shape between 2nd gen and 3rd gen.

6. Apr 3, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    JoeJob

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    @Roman - what are the chances of being able to put the '18 platinum mirror glass (auto dim, BSM, heat, signal) into a '12 limited mirror housing? I have no problem with doing the wiring.

7. Apr 4, 2018 at 7:00 AM
    Roman

Roman Toyota Parts Master Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    That would be a new one on me. I don't think any one has attempted to swap just the glass from a 3rd gen mirror housing to a 2nd gen. I know the entire mirror assembly will swap over, just not too sure about the glass itself. First time something is attempted, I always say "There is only one way to find out". :D

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  8. Apr 4, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    JoeJob

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    Ha ha, yeah it appears I may be the guinea pig on this one! Judging by the fact that the mirror caps are the same from '07-'18, I think it's safe to assume that the mirror glass is the exact same shape. The only question is how the harness works, but I'm sure I can wire to the existing connector at the mirror base if the included harness doesn't match up.

I do see that A1 Auto has replacement mirror glass that has everything but the auto-dim feature. That seems odd to me as the Platinum and 1794 Tundras have had BSM, auto-dim, signal, and power fold from 2014 on.

Easiest thing would be to to put my Limited mirror glass (BSM, heat) into the '12 housings (prepped for signal, heat, auto-dim, power fold) and see what I get. I will basically gain power fold and puddle lights, won't lose heat or BSM, but won't get the auto-dim or the signal. Not a huge problem since I don't have auto-dim or signal now anyway.

I'll probably pull the trigger on this once I have a chance to confirm if I have the 8-pin or 10-pin mirror switch in my Limited.

9. Apr 4, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    JoeJob

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    I actually found a thread on TundraTalk where a dude just tapped into the BSM wires before they go out to the mirror and connected them to an amber LED mounted to the sail panel. Genius! The means I can just install the '12 mirrors as-is, add 6 wires for auto-dim, puddle light, and power fold, tap into the BSM wires and mount a little 3mm LED, then replace the mirror switch and it should all work. I double-checked the wiring diagrams on the toyota tech info site (broke down and paid the $15 for a 2-day subscription) and confirmed that the '12 and '18 wiring is the same (same position, different color).

10. Apr 17, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    JoeJob

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    Anyone who is still paying attention to this one, I was able to start the power-fold mirror install over the weekend. I got the 6 wires run into each door, and terminated them in the mirror connectors. I used 24 gauge wire from Amazon. Just as other threads/forums have mentioned, I did have to clip a piece off the top of each pin in order to get them to fit in the connectors, and I also have to use some needle-nose pliers to flatten the burr and make sure the crimp was taller than wide. I used a straight pick too to push the wire all the way in. I had to take a lot more trim panels down on the passenger side than I had anticipated, including letting the airbag hang, but once all that was down I was able to route the passenger wires over to the driver's side. Now I need to terminate the wires at the mirror plug, footwell light, and a-pillar.

11. Apr 17, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    supermotobobby

supermotobobby New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra C/M Limited 4x2
    tundra_factory_cam_wiring.jpg Not sure if this will help?

12. Apr 19, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    JoeJob

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, but that appears to be the inner mirror schematic. Doesn't have anything to do with the side mirrors.

13. Apr 22, 2018 at 9:49 PM
    supermotobobby

supermotobobby New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra C/M Limited 4x2
    Try this. Start on page 419

Attached Files:

14. Jul 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    Ryooo

Ryooo New Member

Member:
    Boynton Beach FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM SC Platinum
    TRD Supercharger 4.5 BDS lift 20” Method Standards sitting on 35 Nitto Grapplers Rigid grill top and bottom with lights AMP running boards Fender flares Magnum rear bumper Rear LED bar Air bags with onboard compressor Brake controller Alpine Navi Alpine amps x 2 Focal Separates front and rear 2 x JL 13s in a stealth box behind the back seat LTE cellular booster Rear seat under locked storage Dynamat from ceiling to floor LEDs all over Bed liner Bed rails Paint protector covering nearly the entire front end and more

Any chance you figured out how to do this on the memory mirror version? I was thinking I wanted to wire a relay to fold them when I arm the alarm, but this option would work just great too!

15. Jul 24, 2018 at 9:41 PM
    obgod3

obgod3 New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited
    So dumb, Toyota screwed this up. I looked at a new 18 limited, didnt and cant get power folding mirrors...on a 47K Truck..what? I dont want a platinum, i want a full size bed. Anyway my 08 Limited has them so il just keep it. Hope you guys figure it out.

16. Jul 30, 2018 at 4:32 PM
    bobeast

bobeast [OP] really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Sorry. No I haven't had access to one with memory mirrors. If the fold switch is momentary (does not have a detent), you probably just need to send it a pulse from a PAC TR 7 module. Otherwise it would just be a matter of translating the appropriate wire color codes based on the wiring diagram of your truck. All conjecture, of course as I don't have that way-cool memory feature.

Pudge likes this.
  17. Aug 27, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    D3Tundra

D3Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Midnight Black Tundra Limited 4x4 CM
    Rigid fog lights Interior Led light upgrade Spray in Bedliner CRUX Avity-01 VIM Bypass module 5% tint all the way around 50% on the windshield Wireless charger arm rest mod Amp Research Steps Bak Revolver X4 Tesla Style Headunit Procomp 4" lift Toyo M/T's 35x12.5xR22 Fuel Maverick D538 wheels 22x10 -24 offset
    Which two wires in the foot well did you tap into? On our '18's the connectors are different.

18. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:13 PM
    1794-BlackTundra

1794-BlackTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tundra 1794 Edition CM
    Rhino Linings, Smittybilt 11500 Winch (Internal), BAKflip MX4, RotopaX, MaxTrax, ARB Simpson III tent, Old Man Emu suspension, TRD rims, Pioneer Platform with Rhino-Rack Backbone System
    Seeking for enlightenment :popcorn:

19. Apr 22, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    moabrocks14

moabrocks14 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited
    Looking for help on my 07 Limited w/ power fold mirrors.. mirrors were working. did some other mods (LED bar, stereo, new backup cam) so had the dash torn apart a bit. after reinstall of dash panels, discovered mirror fold isn't working, but the mirrors can be adjusted by the position switch both left and right. I really wasn't making any changes in the door panel or door wells, but wondering if there is a separate fuse that the fold power comes from. I don't see a burnt fuse at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated as manually unfolding mirrors has me leery of driving fast.

20. Apr 23, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    D3Tundra

D3Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Midnight Black Tundra Limited 4x4 CM
    Rigid fog lights Interior Led light upgrade Spray in Bedliner CRUX Avity-01 VIM Bypass module 5% tint all the way around 50% on the windshield Wireless charger arm rest mod Amp Research Steps Bak Revolver X4 Tesla Style Headunit Procomp 4" lift Toyo M/T's 35x12.5xR22 Fuel Maverick D538 wheels 22x10 -24 offset
    Entire switch is on the same fuse I believe. However, on the back of the switch each wire has a separate function. I'd check the connection of each wire. Or just order a new switch (they are maybe $20 on Amazon/ebay) just make sure you order the correct switch with the same amount of male pins as the one you have because there are two different switches with different pin layouts.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  21. Apr 23, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    moabrocks14

moabrocks14 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited
    thx, swapped out the switch last night (after I posted this), but to no avail. time to get a multi-meter...

22. Apr 26, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    moabrocks14

moabrocks14 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited
    update: missed a connector under the dash behind the 4wheel drive selector.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  23. Apr 30, 2019 at 10:20 PM
    senn4586

senn4586 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra
    Rear LED, inside LED
    Sorry for the noob question, but what do you guys mean when you say "MEMORY FEATURE" for the mirrors? Are the mirrors suppose to be closing and opening by themselves would it be possible to show what switch you have with a picture of yours please. Thanks in advance.

24. May 1, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    The memory feature works to save 2 preset locations of the seat, side mirrors and steering wheel. That way when my wife drives my truck on rare occasion, she hits the 2 button and it all moves to her pre selected locations and when I hop back in and hit my 1 button, it all goes back to normal. My mirrors do open and close, but that’s a separate button.

25. May 1, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    senn4586

senn4586 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra
    Rear LED, inside LED
    Thanks for clarifying that and unfortunately that what I have in mine. Would really like them to close and open when the iginition is on and off

26. May 1, 2019 at 8:55 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    A button may work best, how would you pull into a small garage and tuck your mirrors in to do so if they only tuck in when the truck shuts off...I wouldn’t be able to get in/out of my garage with that set-up...things to consider

27. May 1, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    senn4586

senn4586 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra
    Rear LED, inside LED
    Sorry what I mean to say is that I would want both features to work since that would make it a little easier at work instead of remembering to push the button every time.

28. May 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I gotcha, it’s possible with a relay, but beyond my expertise...

29. Jun 12, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    michaels

michaels New Member

Member:
    Even though my memory seat isn't working.... I wanted to look into how to do this for trucks with memory seats/mirrors. I haven't made the modifications yet but thought I would run it by ya'll first. This is for the driver door:

The driver door outer mirror control ECU
    • battery power tap into on N7 pin 3
    • ACC power tap into N7 pin 4
    • Ground N7 pin 9 (not sure how ground works in a door so wanted to tap the wire)
    In BoBeast's first post in this thread purple (V) wire is still purple on pin 1 of N7 (The MF motor connection), the orange wire inside the door is pink pin 2 on N7.

The relays will go inside the door by the OMC ECU.

I think this sounds right, anyone want to double check?

Mike.

wnoble likes this.
  30. Aug 20, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    I would like auto close on my Platinum... gotta be able to do it

Products Discussed in

To Top