1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audiolust's 2010 Salsa Red Build thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen Builds (2007-2013)' started by Audiolust, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Apr 4, 2022 at 1:54 PM
    Audiolust

Audiolust [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    I’ll do it when i get home tonight

2. Apr 5, 2022 at 5:23 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    I used all the steps found in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVZSoKbyZ0

However I used the return in front of the radiator instead of messing with pulling the hoses off near the transmission. Pic below is what mine looked like. Trans fluid goes into the cooler at the very top, and comes out below it. You can see where they are labelled. I used 1/2 ID tubing with simple crimp clamps, it leaked a minor amount.

Total it took about 20q for me to flush mine sufficiently, but I also am not sure it was ever done in its 223k life. We drained and filled 5 times, about 3-4q each time. My wife helped, I would watch the outflow while she shifted between D-N-R in 1-2 sec intervals.

Also make sure you double check your ATF fill hose before each fill. Mine fell out once, lost about 2.5q. And the tubing runs darn close to the exhaust, so make sure it doesn't get burned while doing your Shift N' Drains.

Once it was running clear I took off the check fill bolt, used an infrared gun and held it on the ATF fluid that was draining out at the check fill hole and the pan. Fluid hit 113F and parts of the pan were about 116F. I found another video that had someone using the fancy software to read temps and compared them to the gun method above and it was within a degree. Once it hit 113-115 I put the check fill back in and then called it a day.

[​IMG]

3. Apr 5, 2022 at 12:55 PM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Front shocks are finally in! All suspension components are here. Wheel order placed today, Coastal Offroad front bumper order placed today. Joying 10.1 came in. Probably going to wait on the bumper and wheels, get tires mounted, bumper welded and painted and trying to make another big go at it all at once. Hopefully end of May everything will be on, and then we can start the interior phase

4. Apr 14, 2022 at 4:00 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Stainless brake lines, 4 rotors and pads and all 4 caliper rebuild parts ordered today.

Replacement lower DS seat leather ordered today. Anyone with a 2G and the DS seat that has the adjustable calf/knee support, beware that Katzkin and Leatherseats.com kits will not work with your truck. I wanted to redo all my seats, but for now I found a shop that sells a lower seat factory matched replacement that does work with the adjustable support. Unfortunately they do not also sell rear bench replacements.......Going to have to figure this one out. I dont care about the calf support, but I also dont want to order an entirely new seat either.

5. Apr 18, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    TundraBiology

TundraBiology New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab
    ARE MX Series cap, Rock Warrior rims, 6112 & 5160, WeatherTech floor liners, 3rd party tow mirrors,Clazzio seat covers, P3 brake controller, lots of scratches
    Are you having a shop weld the Costal bumper? If so do mind sharing an approximate cost?

6. Apr 18, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    working on that now, getting crickets back from a lot of local shops. I’ll post back if i get a bite.

TundraBiology[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 19, 2022 at 7:58 AM
    Wahayes

Wahayes Older I get the wiser I realize my dad was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
    Do you know if an rci skidplate will fit that bumper from coastal?

8. Apr 19, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    $80 an hour, said he’ll charge me for 4 hours to weld and flap it all down. Seems reasonable.

9. Apr 19, 2022 at 8:05 AM
    TundraBiology

TundraBiology New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab
    ARE MX Series cap, Rock Warrior rims, 6112 & 5160, WeatherTech floor liners, 3rd party tow mirrors,Clazzio seat covers, P3 brake controller, lots of scratches
    I am willing to pay that. Hopefully shops in my area will be similar. Thank you for sharing the info. Love the truck. I have the same year and color.

Audiolust[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Apr 19, 2022 at 8:06 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    i do not, I’ll get some pictures posted up when it’s all completed, probably not till may or June at this point. Spoke with the welder and we both agreed it should be tacked together on the truck. But I have a long list of things to be completed first (suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, wiring for winch/lights), that I’m going to get done before hand. Bumper will be the last thing to go on before i cut up the oem bumper.

Wheels alone are approximately 2 months out on shipping. And we have a vacation smack in the middle of it that will delay the suspension overhaul.

I’m delaying the skid purchase though because of this bumper, i want to get it on and then check with RCI or Valhalla to see if there may be fitment issues before ordering

11. Apr 19, 2022 at 10:26 AM
    Wahayes

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
    Well as a side note, if the stock skid fits it, the rci should too as the rci uses the stock mounting locations. I emailed coastal about it a few days ago they just havent got back to me yet. I can post here when i find out if you want.

12. Apr 20, 2022 at 8:56 AM
    Wahayes

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    Audiolust[OP] likes this.
  13. Apr 22, 2022 at 8:27 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    More orders are in or delivered!

All suspension parts are in. In a bit of a lull with scheduling the install. Have some home projects that need to be done first.

Picked up SS3 Pro Fogs and the Stage Series Combo 30" lightbar for the Coastal Offroad bumper.

Changed up my audio build plan. Realized driving a lifted brick through the air probably isn't going to do a SQ based system any good and will severely enhance diminishing returns. Going to shift to a Full Range SQL build. Been driving around with Fade all the way to front to determine if I could live without the rear fill. Absolutely hated it at first. Absolutely love it now.

Now going with the following:

8" PRV Slim Bullet Mid Range Drivers for the front https://prvaudio.com/products/8mr400b-4-slim/
    Ditching Rear
    3" Dayton RS-75 Full Range Driver for the dash
    1" PRV TW100SD Soft Dome tweeters for the sails (Just in case the daytons need to be tuned way down from windshield beaming)
    Kicker CompRT12 with Passive Radiator @ 500w
    AudioControl D6-1200
    Kicker 1.800

On the GB list for 17" RRW RR7 Dark Bronze Wheels

Tech12volts remote start with MyCar delivered

Replacement lower DS leather seat delivered

14. Apr 22, 2022 at 11:41 AM
    Tundra1D6

Tundra1D6 Well that escalated quickly…

Member:
    What seats do you have and what type of katskinz did you try to order?

I’m looking to upgrade my sr5 to leather and only have a power driver seat.

15. Apr 22, 2022 at 1:35 PM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Do you have the driver seat with the adjustable calf/knee support? Where it would push out your lower legs? I do, and its made getting replacements a nightmare because of that one feature. I had to find someone that made OEM replacement covers. If you dont have that, you can use the popular leather seat company replacements; Katzkin or Leatherseats.com

I would go through the the member here that just ran a group buy @jhuey8947 I would stick away from the "Premium" leather options whether you use Katzkin or Leatherseats, they arent nearly as durable. Just get a full leather kit and ditch the vinyl surrounds.

white_pro21 likes this.
  16. Apr 28, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Got the Joying 10.1 radio installed. Everything went plug and play, just some working with the canbus decoder to get the right option selected. Works great off hotspots for now. I had a rear view mirror screen for my reverse camera, still works.

Cant say the sound is any better or worse. It is nice having the built in DSP to mess with some options. But the JBL system appears to really mess with any kind of timing/fader etc control available to really use the radio DSP. PRV audio gear came in, Audiocontrol D6.1200 came in. Realizing I am going to have to mock up a board mount behind the seats the hold the distribution blocks, D6.1200 and the CX800. I don't want to run an amp under each seat, plus I wont have to worry about the dogs and their paws ever getting under there.

Updated the old ZUX/USB 1.0 port with two USB Toyota style ports instead that are hooked up to the head unit. Also removed one of the cigarettes lighters in the center console that had a broken cover and replaced it with a USB 3.0 / USB 4.0 QC outlet.

Also got the Tech12volts remote start with MyCar setup, relatively painless since I already had have the dash apart anyway.

Going to be a quiet weekend, following week, and the week after is vacation. Then we hit it hard and get the bumper, stereo, suspension, brake overhaul completed. Reallllllly hoping I am at the front of the list for the RRW RR7 group buy order. Hoping not to many people ordered Tundra Matte Bronze wheels and Ill be able to grab one of the first ones off the boat.

Kiddnapped Tundra likes this.
  17. May 4, 2022 at 5:15 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Ordered a full set of 1/4" Valhalla Auminum Skids/Cat protection. Car audio install wiring ordered.

WVI likes this.
  18. May 5, 2022 at 6:53 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Tundra parts are starting to take over the house. There is a spare bedroom dedicated to the build currently....

Realizing a thread is useless without pictures, here are the pending items waiting:

Suspension: Fox 2.5 DSC with Remote Resi front and rear, JBA UCA, OEM LCA, Icon RXT Rear Leafs

Front Bumper by Coastal Offroad to be taken to a local welder after suspension install w/ lightbar and pods

Audio Upgrades: Audiocontrol D6.1200 DSP/Amp, Kicker CX800.1, PRV 8" Front door, PRV 1" Sail Tweeters, Dayton Reference RS75 3" Dash speakers, Kicker CompRT 12". X2Power Group 31 Battery. Siless 80mil, 50mil Butyl and 4mil Closed cell foam for entire interior. Will start an audio build thread when this gets underway with distribution blocks, blue sea fuse box behind the rear seat, mounting 8" speakers in front door and sound deadening. Going to run active 3 way setup in the front and EQ the truck with Room EQ Wizard and a MiniDSP calibration mic. Once I can get an idea of how the speaker locations influence the sound signature I may upgrade to nicer drivers down the road.

Lake life is starting up which I'll be working security each weekend to supplement this build throughout the summer. Hoping to get this started after memorial day. Hopefully completed by end of June, full finish depends on the wheel shipments.

Peeeheeuuu and Kiddnapped Tundra like this.
  19. May 5, 2022 at 7:03 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    stopped into the dealership yesterday to have them adjust the automatic headlight sensor sensitivity through the techstream. Was unsuccessful. They stated they tried for 30 minutes to try every combination of 1-5 on the scale, and each time the truck would do a force revert back to position "3" (Normal). No matter what they tried the could not figure out a way to prevent the reversion.

So, I ordered some medical caps from Caplugs and am going to see how successful those are at covering the sensor on the dash to "trick" the truck into thinking its darker. The site offers free samples on the plugs, way cheaper that the $69.00 the dealership charged for doing nothing =/

Pending the success of this experiment I will post the links to the sizes and caps used.

20. May 11, 2022 at 3:38 PM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Got the X2Power Group 31 battery installed with new terminals and S-Alt jumper. Running 14.4-14.8 right in the sweet spot for the battery specs.

Had to come up with a creative solution for my auto headlamp sensitivity problem. Toyota dealer here said that the computer was overriding and defaulting every time back to stock settings. $70.00 trip wasted. Found some free cap plugs that were also shipped free. Fits over the sensor perfectly. So far its triggering when i pull into the garage in sunlight perfectly. I will know when I get a little more field testing before I make a post on it. But for free I wish i would have looked sooner vs. going into Toyota to pay a techstream fee.

21. May 13, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Pulled the trigger today on (5) Nokian Outpost AT 315/70/17 to go with the RRW RR7’s. Found them on Amazon for a good deal, free shipping, no tax.

[​IMG]

Kiddnapped Tundra likes this.
  22. May 14, 2022 at 3:43 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Going to wait until I get to the stereo install to do a review on these guys. Product from soundsgoodstereo.com

Place has A++++++ service. They had a speaker adapter up for toyotas and an 8" to 6x9 option for Tundras. 2 weeks went by, heard nothing. Reached out to them and they said, "Well we dont offer the Tundra ring it that size, it shouldnt have been available on the website."

Which sounded right, I couldnt find 8" speaker adapters ANYWHERE. I sent them my speaker specs, and they said, "We're going to try and make it work, you may have to do little adjustments." They literally made a custom one for me for the same price. Cant wait to see if it works. Ill send all kinds of business there if possible. The company was a class act.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    GSil and Kiddnapped Tundra like this.
  23. Jul 10, 2022 at 9:03 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Suspension finally went on yesterday. No major issues. Currently riding without a front sway bar but i think that will go back on. Slightly crooked ride heights. But I’m working on getting the bumper welded and installed with the new winch before Igo messing with the pre loads because it will likely have to be adjusted again anyway.

IMG_2202[1].jpg
    IMG_2209[1].jpg

Peeeheeuuu, B.Ross, gnatehack and 3 others like this.
  24. Nov 29, 2022 at 6:24 AM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Developed a water pump leak. CSF Aluminum radiator, thermostat, OEM waterpump, OEM belt tensioner, Rubber heater core and Rad hoses, and OEM fan clutch delivered. Waiting on install.

25. Nov 29, 2022 at 9:12 AM
    Jaredst

Jaredst New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Crewmax TRD
    Great looking build! Just bought a tundra with 160k miles. It gives me more confidence in these trucks to see you putting this much money and time into it.

26. Nov 29, 2022 at 12:30 PM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    It's been a great truck so far. Gas mileage sucks. But I love seeing it every time we go out. We ran the numbers when we first bought it all the way up to an engine and trans replacement, with all the extras to customize it and make it ours, and we were still coming out well ahead of a used f150 with 50k miles that was plain and generic as every other one out there. Plus no car payment. It was a no brainer, even with the terrible gas mileage.

Plus the thing damn near tows what the new trucks do.

27. Nov 29, 2022 at 4:08 PM
    Jaredst

Jaredst New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Crewmax TRD
    It’s so funny you say that, because my wife and I had that exact same conversation about a week ago. I could buy my tundra, put 15k in repairs and maintenance into it and still be ahead of buying a 2yr old truck. Even at 160k mine drives better than some vehicles I’ve owned with 50k miles on them.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build! Very well done thread brother!

28. Dec 1, 2022 at 2:45 PM
    gnatehack

gnatehack New Member

Member:
    Middle of Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 5.7 4x4 Bench
    PRO wheels. Maintenance
    Great looking truck!

I’m intrigued by those Nokians for our next tire. How have you liked them thus far??

Have had good success with other Nokians in the past.

29. Dec 12, 2022 at 2:55 PM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Nokians so far have been superb. Brilliant traction in the wet, and mild mannered for an AT. Would buy again especially for the prices you can still grab them at compared to the competition in the C and D ranges.

30. Dec 12, 2022 at 2:58 PM
    Audiolust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    So it continues....

I knew the trans was on its way out. It was slipping pretty badly. We towed a skid steer for ~10 miles (probably close to 8k lbs) and it just didnt like that at all. Cold weather really made it noticeable afterwards. Finally threw a P2757 today. Put in an email to IPT Trans. Found a used 2020 trans with 30k miles but it would still be ~4k shipped. For the extra 1k I'll go the IPT route since it will keep having to tow tractors occasionally.

WVI likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top