1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audio install nightmare...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Darkindustries, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Nov 9, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    Darkindustries

Darkindustries [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Limited Crewmax
    2016 tundra limited crewmax with some bells and whistles.
    Yes I did but it looked like a more complex install than the Recurve EZQ. However I am having nothing but continued problems. Overall I regret ever touching my stock-speakers-with-amp-for-woofers setup and should have just stuck with the original insane boom boom install. Now the bass channel is missing/nonexistant completely. ********* says its probably a bad harness so they are sending me another one. Really low on my probability scale that it is a bad harness. Now I have to rewire a harness through my dash...again..... I've been working with ********* support but they are all over the place. I've copied all the chat conversations with support I've had. Each day I get a completely different set of instructions from different support reps. Really frustrating. All their videos are outdated, contain inaccurate information, and basically is really vanilla in the instructions. For a company that seems to make a profit, they sure do lack professional quality videos and solid install instructions.

I replaced my front and rear speakers with infinity component systems and dynamatted all 4 doors, used boom baffles in all 4 speakers (had to cut them to fit properly but they make a BIG difference, I tested one door with and one door without), CAD then 3d printed crossover mounts for all 4 doors (added another 20+ hours of 3d printing between two printers). I re-ran all the audio cabling to all 4 doors....HOLY CRAP what a pain this was feeding speaker wire through that little rubber door grommet.. removed craptastic original install grounds, sanded paint off and added new ones, replaced original cheap amp kit and installed a proper 0 gauge to a power distribution power block. Used my Xcarve to trace a pattern on a thin piece of MDF and cut out a custom amp rack for under the passenger seat. Bought black suede and covered the custom amp rack, looks super legit. Ran all the wires under the carpet and trims so that NOTHING is exposed anywhere. Made the amp rack slide out for easy access and tuning, slides screwed into the original stock toyota amp holes under the passenger seat.

The component system sounds amazing, I almost thought my subs were working at first.... but again, I am missing a subwoofer channel (originates from the purple/purple+black wiring) however my purple/purple+black wires produce zero signal out for some reason. I also tried using the old adapter/bass out thingy from my first install (used to work fine producing a bass signal) but now that doesn't work either for some reason. The subwoofers, and subwoofer amp still works, I tested it and nothing is wrong with it, just no RCA signal. :shrugs:

At this point I am waiting for the harness. I don't plan on re-runnning it until I test to verify that it works. otherwise at that point I am at a complete loss of new ideas other than A: driving 1400 miles to TX to have ********* get it working for $95, or buying a new headunit with a bunch of adapter cables to get my steering wheel buttons, rear view camera, and integrated aftermarket GPS to work...that already has all the outputs I wanted and trying to sell a brand new recurve. Such a long and frustrating journey.

2. Nov 9, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles OP. Has anyone purchased the ********* system and then just given it to a shop to install for them?

3. Nov 9, 2019 at 6:31 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Post some pics of the install if you have them. I'm interested to see the printed mounts.

Not surprised with your experience with taco tunes. I hope the new harness fixes it, but its the cheapest part they can throw at you.

If this doesn't fix it for you, id say go the aftermarket head unit and the maestro route. Only thing you will loose is the turn notification on your gauge cluster display. Should be a easier setup.

4. Nov 10, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    Darkindustries

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Limited Crewmax
    ********* "we will toss the replacement harness in the box already headed out to you".

Box arrived. Had my sails I ordered, no harness. Customer support has been stuck at "1 in que" for two days. Their customer support page says to "text us at XXX XXX XXXX for emergency support. I had text them on Nov 3 initially for install support. They never replied.

Called the phone number for 3 weeks straight, nobody ever answered and nobody ever replied to my messages I left. This is absurd.

********* is such an unprofessional company it's ridiculous.

5. Nov 12, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    Darkindustries

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Limited Crewmax
    Tactotunes owner reached out to me today via text. He explained that due to Veterans day the office was off early before the weekend... hence the delayed reply. They did fail to send me a replacement harness which I mentioned via text. As we were diagnosing the Recurve it turned out that the input terminals on the Recurve were not securely inserted, not the wires themselves, but rather that whole plastic and metal terminals which the wires are inserted to... they make a distinguishable 'click' when plugged in. Since it arrived in this manner, I didn't hypothesize to push the input terminals in with some force, and oddly enough half of the terminals worked while the other half didn't. Once I clicked it in, everything is working.

I will tune the system today and then post final install pics. I really appreciate everyone's help, advice, recommendations, and input!

6. Nov 14, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    Darkindustries

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Limited Crewmax
    Ok so it is all installed and tuned. While it is much better than what I started with, in hindsight I believe I am waaay off my desired objective. I am giving up and sticking with this :shrugs:.

Turned all the way max, its maybe 25-30% louder than what it was previously, which isn't much. However I've heard much louder from (much cheaper) basic boat speakers. What I am literally aiming for is the ability to hear my music loud and clear at high speeds (85mph) with all windows down over the roaring engine and exhaust pipes, from dubstep to norah jones to merle hagar. The norah jones and merle hagar are the hard ones to get loud. I want it live concert loud. Literally. Possibly I went too cheap...

It also seems that I only have the ability to choose one specific music genre, tune the system for it, but when I switch to another genre, say rock or dubstep, my speakers can't keep up without another re-tuning, I basically need different audio profiles for different genres of music.

What am I comparing my sound to:
    I own a 2017 Aston Martin with the B&O upgraded system, with a single 8" sub. My mids and highs in this stock system beat the crap out of this recent upgrade. The Aston's V12 engine is gnarly loud through the pipes, yet at 100mph I can roll the windows down and hear all the vocals, Im sure people Im passing can too.

I rented a Volvo XC90 in iceland with the Bowers and Wilkins audio system upgrade. The sound was even better than the Aston's. I especially like the DSP that allowed me to add the "Large Room" effect, walking several hundred feet away, this allowed the sound to carry very well and was clear (we put on some jams and had many roadside meals). I'd really like to have a DSP or equalizer that gives me audio effects as this would also include the ability to save audio profiles per genre.

I appreciate all the help and advice from everyone, it made me feel like I wasn't the only person in the world trying to upgrade my Tundra's audio and a lot of advice gave me insights on how to approach problems.

Laugh it up, but I didn't have too many ABS colors to choose from, so hot pink ABS for the drivers side and orange ABS for the passenger side. IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

And here is the sued wrapped amp rack I made (pic taken prior to fully wiring it in)
    IMG_0537.jpg

Trooper2 likes this.
  7. Nov 14, 2019 at 8:32 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    glad to hear you got it working!

8. Nov 23, 2019 at 2:04 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA Still Gonna Send It...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 Tundra SR5 TRD (Psycho White)
    Chopped and dumped dual exhaust; 6" fully adjustable ProComp lift w/ FabTech rear shocks, 12.5x20 Pro Comp rims on 37x12.50x20 tread wright mud tires, pedal commander throttle programmer and sound system from hell which consist of Sony double din headunit, 4 Morel Maximo Ultra 603 component door speakers w/ 4 tweeters ran on a Rockford fosgate P500-4 punch amp under drivers seat then the bass comes from a custom 15” 4000rms sub made from a Skar 15” Skar basket and motor with sundown x series components made by Patrick @ Robot Underground in Mesa AZ which is powered by 2 C.A.B. Audio 2000.1D amps strapped together at .08ohm which produces just under 5000rms. Also installed 100sq.ft. 10mil dynamat sound deadening on all 4doors (both exterior and interior chambers) double layer on roof and back wall as well as inside side mirror covers and behind side mirrors
    INCORRECT. Just because someone doesn’t have a dsp doesn’t mean there system will sound like shit. Ive never had a dsp and mine sounds awesome. I have a JVC headunit, Morel Tempo Ultra 602 6.5” in all 4 doors, Sony 600watt 5 channel amp under drivers seat to power the door speakers, and a 15” frankenwoofer wired down to .8 ohms built by Robot Underground @ 4000 RMS which is powered by a Skar RP2000.1D amp.

85914B57-26C4-49D9-A17A-F389BDF32682.jpg

Stainlesst likes this.
  9. Nov 23, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Chopped and dumped dual exhaust; 6" fully adjustable ProComp lift w/ FabTech rear shocks, 12.5x20 Pro Comp rims on 37x12.50x20 tread wright mud tires, pedal commander throttle programmer and sound system from hell which consist of Sony double din headunit, 4 Morel Maximo Ultra 603 component door speakers w/ 4 tweeters ran on a Rockford fosgate P500-4 punch amp under drivers seat then the bass comes from a custom 15” 4000rms sub made from a Skar 15” Skar basket and motor with sundown x series components made by Patrick @ Robot Underground in Mesa AZ which is powered by 2 C.A.B. Audio 2000.1D amps strapped together at .08ohm which produces just under 5000rms. Also installed 100sq.ft. 10mil dynamat sound deadening on all 4doors (both exterior and interior chambers) double layer on roof and back wall as well as inside side mirror covers and behind side mirrors
    The sounds your looking for will come from Focal 710 speakers if you have the room for them. You can find them for $399 for a pair. Also you can get the sound effect your looking for from an app called Boom. I just did a backseat delete on a 60yr old guy and installed a 12” Sub, 2- focal 710, 2- focal 6x9, 2- Morel Ultimo Titanium 84s and 4 bullet tweeters, 2- ppi 600.2ab amps, 2- ppi 400.2ab amps, 1- dB drive wdx 3000watt amp for the 12” sub plus the enclosure in his 2006 Mustang GT. Still need to wrap the box and hide wiring but he couldn’t wait to cruise it around so carpet will be done next month. I’ll try and upload a video of it playing

10. Nov 23, 2019 at 5:04 AM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    You have an SR5. The head unit is totally different in the Limited which OP has. If you have an aftermarket head unit then that negates the need for a DSP. Otherwise you go to the giant EQ and need to custom tune which looks like OP did. The DSP is a smaller unit that is easier for someone that isn't a sound system pro to install and use.

11. Nov 23, 2019 at 1:09 PM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I missed the stock HU part Lol I was lacking sleep. I thought he had an aftermarket HU. Personally That’s the first thing I swap out

12. Nov 23, 2019 at 11:58 PM
    Darkindustries

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Limited Crewmax
    Deleting back seat is a deep commitment to the audio lmao!

Downloaded the BOOM app. It's decent but doesn't include an "echo-ey" sound effect. I did like some of the effects on acoustic songs, really brought out the vocals. Buuuut it is also a service for $12 a year. And even if I pay it won't allow ANY effects specifically on "apple music purchases", which is pretty much my entire library. I guess I could rip my library and upload it to dropbox or a google drive but I'm not down with subscription apps. :shrugs:

I wasn't driving the truck much without the stereo. Now I have been driving her around again and tweaking the audio settings. Still not entirely pleased. I really dislike having to mess with the Recurve's bass knob per song. ********* said to unplug my subwoofer's amp bass control knob, however when I unplug it, regardless of position of knob, the bass goes almost completely out, so I've left it plugged in and have to adjust it while adjusting the recurve one as well. As you can imagine this is annoying and not conducive to just letting a playlist play and being worry free.

Jai LI likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top