1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audio install alternative...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by shawn474, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Oct 1, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    shawn474

shawn474 [OP] Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    So I did a ton of research and asked a lot of questions on here and other forums.....thanks to all of you here and elsewhere who helped talk me through it. I wanted clarity and a bit more thump to my audio system but wanted to do it on a budget without sacrificing space and without a ton of wire splicing. Here is what I came up with:

Front dash:
    https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GX302-2-...+ohm+speakers&qid=1569983393&s=gateway&sr=8-5
    These measure at 2.2 ohms. Haven’t decided yet if I will (or need to) add a bass blocker.

Front door:
    I used the ********* 6x9 adapters to be able to keep the 6x9 as I didn’t want to sacrifice the sound quality going down to 6.5” speakers. There are not a lot of options in 2 ohm impedance so I went with these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FSYTCSJ?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image Because these are 2 ohm so there really wasn’t any other accessory needed.

Rear door:
    I went with the jbl club 6500c components. They were very reasonably priced off Amazon (literally over $100 less than crutchfield). These are 4 ohm so I lost a bit of volume - I may eventually replace with a 2 ohm impedance speaker.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KW1F4GQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

For the sub, I went minimal. Again, I wanted some punch but nothing to rattle off the rear view and didn’t want to take up usable space. So I went with this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-...nwood+kscsw11&qid=1569984184&s=gateway&sr=8-1

So all told I spent less about $320 to upgrade the sound. I may eventually add an amp and dsp to increase volume but this will definitely get me by for now. I set out to get improvement in sound clarity and detail. I just couldn’t afford dropping 800-1000 dollars for a fancier setup. I can say I am happy with the improvement.

Pudge, Toyotoholic and WFD473 like this.
  2. Oct 4, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    shawn474

shawn474 [OP] Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    I am sure I will; will have to wait a bit as the wife has put the brakes on any more accessories Hahahaha. The single biggest improvement were the dash speakers - the jbl’s are a TIGHT fit. There is enough room to get one of the screws in and wedge it into the space. I used a zip tie to secure the other side to the original mounting hole but it was about an inch and a half off. It isn’t going anywhere, there are no rattles and the sound improvement from the original dash speakers is extremely noticeable. The front soundstage is a tremendous improvement even using the stock stereo and I can only assume it’s because the speakers I chose are 2 ohm.....the loss of volume if I went 4 ohm would have drove me nuts. Bass response is much better as well with the polypropylene woofers and rubber surrounds.

3. Oct 4, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Anything you can do is better than what you started with!
    An inexpensive tip is to take some thin soft foam (like what something glass would be packed in) make a hole in the center for the speaker and tuck it around so as to form a "gasket" to the cab for better projection. It's simple and effective.

4. Nov 28, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    johnxmccoy

johnxmccoy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Grove City, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Crew Max
    Are you still satisfied with your dash speaker set up? I just installed the tech12 system and I want to change dash speakers. Any issues with install?

Thanks.

To Top