1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Toyota mechanic!

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by T-Rex266, Aug 15, 2015.

1. May 17, 2023 at 11:54 AM
    quietcanine

quietcanine New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Access Cab 4WD
    OME Lift, Sound system by Sony/Hertz
    I am haunted by a check engine light.

Last November I bought a 2005 Tundra, Access cab 4wd. 117k mi. Almost immediately, I observed problems with the transmission. Slipping, hard shifts, etc. I took it to a nearby dealer for diagnosis. They found the trans fluid to be 'sparkly' and suggested that I just drive the truck while I could and that the transmission could be on the way out. And they found some other things that needed fixing, of course, mostly worn suspension parts.

After doing some research on transmissions, I found a used one at a nearby salvage yard from a vehicle with 150k. I bought that and put it in. Such a short sentence for such a long project. At any rate, the transmission shifted correctly right away, but still did some random things like hard shifting, and a check engine light, P2743. At which point I took it to a local trusted mechanic who swapped out the transmission wire, which didn't help, and continuity tested the wiring harness. Which came back good. At this point, the next thing to do was swap out the ECU. I took the car back and obtained a used ECU, which I swapped out.

Viola, the transmission works perfectly! BUT, I still get the check engine light. I'll reset the codes, and it always comes back on after about 15 minutes of driving. Nothing else appears wrong.

What should I do next? Replace the wiring harness? Is there something else that could be causing this?

2. Jun 19, 2023 at 7:47 PM
    solidsnake36

solidsnake36 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5
    Not sure if this was asked here but I own a 2023 Toyota Tundra SR5 I want to upgrade the camera system with the addition of an OEM front camera and potentially OEM side cameras. I want to know if this is possible? Is the base SR5 prewired for this? How extensive is this? I have the 8 inch touch screen and I understand to have the 360 camera capability requires the 14 inch screen, is that accurate? Can I run with the 8inch for the 360 and various camera views?

3. Jul 23, 2023 at 4:03 PM
    Tundra13101

Tundra13101 New Member

Member:
    Question for the mechanic
    2013 Tundra , air does not come out in defrost , hear the air flow but no air . Local mechanic said cable came off and they put back on and worked for a week , took it back and they said they put a shim on it to try and help keep cable from coming off. After a long th did it again and they said take to dealer . Dealer wants to replace whole heater box.
    Where is the defrost cable located at ? Is it by the gas pedal on drivers side ? I tried looking but can not see where it is located . Any help would be great .
    Thank you

4. Jul 23, 2023 at 5:28 PM
    Sillybear

Sillybear New Member

Member:
    Hello, question for mechanic.

Was out today with the family. Turned on the truck, when I tried to put it in drive it didn't feel like it shifted properly. I was gassing and it wasn't moving. Placed it in park, then reverse, back to drive and nothing was happening when I pressed the accelerator. Turned off engine, back on and it shifted to drive fine afterwards.

Things were ok, then a few mins after I noticed the engine RPM was getting high before it shifted into the next gear. This was happening with every gear. I'd hit the pedal, RPMs soared, truck took an extra few seconds to shift gears. Then the check engine light came on, trac control off and no cruise control. The gear shifting problems continued until we got home.

2016 TRD Pro, has 138k miles on it. I had a check engine light last year and took it to dealer. They said it was the Neutral Safety Switch. They offered to lubricate it and then suggested I get it replaced soon. I honestly forgot about it because everything was working fine. Could this be the cause now? Or is it more severe?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5. Jul 27, 2023 at 9:46 PM
    Cjosh113

Cjosh113 New Member

Member:
    TRD lift kit
    Does anyone that this will work for rattling noise for my tundra. Idk if it’s my vvt or my lifters. I was hoping to use this additive oil on my next oil change but I wanted to get some
    Opinions on this BG oil

C554924F-9A04-4A26-8613-E18250F3ABF5.jpg

Mike59 likes this.
  6. Jul 28, 2023 at 5:18 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Turn the can around and see if it says, "No snakes harmed in the making of this additive."

7. Jul 28, 2023 at 5:54 AM
    Jorts

Jorts New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 MBM Platinum
    Hi, question for the mechanic. I picked up my new 2023 Platinum Tundra 4x4 (non-hybrid) last weekend and today I am towing my 5,000 lbs camper approximately 175 miles and then returning on Monday. I currently have about 100 miles on the truck. I've read that I should put 500 miles on it before towing, but I don't have time to do that. How much damage am I potentially going to do by not doing a proper break-in?

8. Jul 30, 2023 at 5:25 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Potential or realistic damage? Sometimes I think the break in procedure is written by lawyers to help the new owner get acclimated to their new vehicle. I also believe that following the break in as stated in the manual will give you a better chance of having a trouble free vehicle for many years. I put 480 miles on mine before hitching up with the ~three ton trailer. That's all I could accomplish in one week.

Back to your situation. You may see reduced brake effectiveness due to glazed pads, increased oil consumption if the rings don't seat and accelerated wear in the transmission and rear axle. Personally I don't think you will ever notice any difference.

Leo's first and Mike59 like this.
  9. Jul 30, 2023 at 6:02 AM
    Jorts

Jorts New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 MBM Platinum
    Gotcha! So not the end of the world; glad to hear that. Thank you!!

Leo's first likes this.
  10. Jul 30, 2023 at 7:41 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Just remember that's one opinion of thousands. I would definitely not run it hard...and after 22k on mine I still don't run it hard. Considering getting a Scangauge and watch temps. On my 21 I watch two transmission temps and coolant temps.

Jorts[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 30, 2023 at 6:55 PM
    Nickboggs

Nickboggs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2011 White Tundra
    Hey All, I have a question for the mechanic.
    I have a 2011 DC base model that did not come with a tow hitch, and at this time I am not needing one. With that being said, I am looking to install a rear sway bar.
    I have read the instructions and watched plenty of videos, and the install seems pretty straight forward with a hitch.
    My question is on the instructions it says “Install end link into the second hole forward of the rear leaf spring hanger”. Am I thinking too much into it or is it using the same hole as if I would have the hitch in place? I believe everything is the exact same on install just need to use and extra washer in one step. Just wanting to make sure I measure twice and cut once.
    Thank you all for the help.

12. Aug 16, 2023 at 2:50 PM
    LR Pro 2022

LR Pro 2022 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 LR Pro
    Quick question for the mechanic if i may- i swapped seats over from one tundra to another. Took negative battery cable off both trucks beforehand waited 15 minutes before unplugging all three connectors.all plugs matched up, one 2022 and one 2023 trd pros. everything works, heated/ventilated, lumbar, power seat adj. only problem is airbag light came on both trucks after reassembly. Is there a reset or does that have to be done by dealer? Thanks in advance

13. Aug 17, 2023 at 7:48 PM
    66Platinum

66Platinum New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Salinas Valley CA
    Vehicle:
    20 Platinum MGM
    Got a 2020 crewmax, Anyone ever noticed leakage or condensation build up around the transmission area? Seems to happen when AC is running, I tried to look up over the tranny couldn’t find anything? Any experiences with this thanks!

14. Aug 17, 2023 at 9:55 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Normal, that's where the drain is located.

66Platinum[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 17, 2023 at 10:04 PM
    66Platinum

66Platinum New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Salinas Valley CA
    Vehicle:
    20 Platinum MGM
    Appreciate the reply brother, never noticed it before but now that it kind of drips excessively it definitely has my attention. Do you think it could be a sign of the ac lines clogging up? Been reading a little about what could be or others having some similar experiences

16. Aug 18, 2023 at 6:03 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I've never read anything about A/C lines plugging up. Are you meaning the drain itself? That I have read about. Debris can work it's way down the drain and clog the outlet, like the way leaves can do the same with downspouts. Some are able to resolve a clog by blowing compressed air in from the bottom, but it's not real easy to get to. But if you're seeing water dripping from there, that suggests that it's working as intended. I've noticed on mine that it can drip down from either side of the transmission depending upon how the vehicle is parked. How A/C works is by removing the moisture from the air, if it's especially humid, there's going to be more water draining.

Mdl and NewImprovedRon like this.
  17. Aug 18, 2023 at 7:04 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    You might look at checking to see if the U-joints need grease, and/or the transmission fluid level. The carrier bearing may need some attention, it could be worn or loose as well. If those are all fine, the differential itself might be the next thing to have looked at.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  18. Aug 18, 2023 at 9:21 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I'm not familiar with checking the level in the trans in your model year truck. The "forever" claim is kinda marketing. Some have had no issues with "flushing" the fluid, but it it's often not recommended with higher miles, it could hypothetically cause problems. Most feel that just having the oil changed out is adequate. I'm sure that there's a lot more information on the forum here if you have the time to dig around before your visit to the dealer. Then you can make a more informed and comfortable decision.

Having someone assist you in trying to more specifically localize the location of the sound might be enlightening. It may be as subtle as the joints and the slip yoke needing some grease.

19. Sep 5, 2023 at 5:31 PM
    Jacobb89

Jacobb89 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Been looking and reading a lot of post on here but now have a to post my own question.

2014 tundra 146k 5.7L
    Misfire cylinder 5 and now 3

Misfire started the other day on cylinder 5 so started with the easier stuff. Truck was due for plugs so replaced all 8 plugs (NGK)
    Misfire still present on 5

Changed coil pack on cylinder 5.
    Misfire still present on 5

Changed all 8 injectors number 5 definitely looked dirty but still misfire on 5.

Read on here about valve spring breaking so pulled the valve cover, nothing looked wrong there.
    Did a leak down test on 1,3,5 and all passed.
    Did compression test 180 range on all cylinders.

Put everything back together misfire now is on cylinder 3?!?!?!.

Moved coils plugs swapped stuff around seeing if the misfire would move but nothing.

Plan of attack tomorrow to check everything on the fuel rail since that's the only thing that ties them all together that was removed.

Any other suggestions ill take it.

Thanks

20. Sep 18, 2023 at 7:16 AM
    Filthyphil

Filthyphil Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4.7
    check fuel pressure

21. Sep 20, 2023 at 7:31 AM
    sider64

sider64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    2009 tundra rock warrior
    have you found the problem?? im having the same issue ...

22. Sep 21, 2023 at 7:47 AM
    Tamutundra

Tamutundra New Member

Member:
    Frisco Tx.
    Vehicle:
    19 super white CM TRDoffroad 4x4
    Hey all,
    I received a " check antenna" message when trying to listen to my sat radio? is this a known
    problem or am I just that lucky?
    thanks

23. Sep 21, 2023 at 8:06 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I've never read of anyone mentioning that before, you are lucky indeed. Have you recently had any dash work done around the radio, or somewhere around the headliner where the antenna is located?

Tamutundra likes this.
  24. Sep 21, 2023 at 8:10 AM
    Tamutundra

Tamutundra New Member

Member:
    Frisco Tx.
    Vehicle:
    19 super white CM TRDoffroad 4x4
    No unfortunately no work on this or any area, I had just gotten into the truck the next morning, was out of town may have been a critter decided to nibble (if there is actually access from hood area) not the biggest of deals right now can stream sirius from spare phone just a pain to swap channels.. thanks for the reply

25. Sep 21, 2023 at 8:24 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
  26. Sep 25, 2023 at 4:13 AM
    Toyota5.7

Toyota5.7 New Member

Member:
    Whats going on everyone I need some help please. I have a 08 tundra sr5 5.7 I was pulling my trailer and check engine traction came on as well as vsc and 4lo started blinking plugged in scanner has a p0345 code help would be appreciated thanks

27. Sep 25, 2023 at 4:28 AM
    Toyota5.7

Toyota5.7 New Member

Member:
    I think I keep posting in the wrong thread I'm new here. Anyway I have a 08 tundra sr5 5.7l I was pulling my trailer when the check engine and traction came on as well as the vsc and 4lo was flashing plugged in scanner gave a P0345 code I did have it in the shop about 6 months ago they did the heat transfer plate and messed the wire to the camshaft sensor up and fixed it the truck drives fine but would like it fixed any help would be appreciated thanks.

28. Oct 6, 2023 at 2:03 AM
    dondino

dondino New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tunda Crewmax
    2007 CM with 232000+ on it 5.7. Full maintenance about 1 year ago. My question is as follows: about 1 month ago I went to start the truck and it started fine and then died, like someone turned off the ignition, tried it a couple more time and it did the same thing. Waited about 10 minutes and tried it and everything was fine.
    Yesterday, 10-5-23 I went to fire it up and it started and died again just like before. A couple more tries and it did the same thing. Waited about 5 minutes, retried and it started up fine however, I noticed some weird chattering coming from I'm guessing, the gas tank and then the chattering stopped.
    I do not have a CEL on, the truck is running fine with no over heating or balking or anything else going on, and still have plenty of power. I'm leaning that my fuel pump might be going bad, so is there any way to check the fuel pump out to see if that is definitely the problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

29. Oct 6, 2023 at 10:50 AM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
    2021 Tundra w/ 10k miles. Why would my throttle position sensor fail after the baterry completely drained. Truck stalls 2 seconds after starting now. Have ordered a replacement TB to troubleshoot

20231006_102512.jpg

30. Oct 15, 2023 at 7:53 PM
    Rathesun

Rathesun New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Double-cab 5.7L engine
    Yes I found it: the problem was caused by a low oil pressure or maybe flow. In this case my son had been using an off-brand oil filter housing cap. I am assuming that the aluminum oil filter housing cap was on the engine by the time he bought the truck in 2020, and didn't realize that that the oil pressure should rise past the center mark on the gage when the engine RPM is above 1,000 on a cold start Cold start (cold as when the engine is cold in a cold morning like it happens in Alaska). And also that the oil pressure indicator or needle on the gage should follow any engine RPM increase of decrease (RPM up = pressure goes up. Low idle = RPM settles below or near the center mark, and so on).

In this case the oil pressure would take a very long time to rise just below the center mark, and the lifters would be noisy for perhaps 8-10 seconds or more as they were being filled with oil. I am assuming that oil wasn't flowing as it should thought the cam position solenoids, and this in turn would create the fault codes mentioned above (P0012 & P0024, if I well remember).

Important: Then I read somewhere in this forum what another poster had said about his Tundra losing oil pressure, and his realizing that the reason for the problem was a collapsed oil filter because the housing's cap didn't have the perforated tube in the middle, so I decided to do an oil change myself-aided by a friend of mine.

Before doing the oil/filter change I ordered a filter housing cap from Amazon for the 2013 Tundra's 5.7L engine, making sure that it was a perfect fit and that it had the perforated tube attached to bottom of the cap, in its center.

Before this oil & filter change, I could not remove the "permanent" fault codes stored in the Tundra's ECU, just the temporary ones. So we drained the oil and I removed the filter housing cap, and found that the filter was collapsed in the middle, like an hourglass. That's when I realized the reason for the low oil pressure. I replaced the cap with the one I ordered from Amazon, poured into the engine 8 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 oil, and started it. This time the oil pressure rose quite fast to a place about 3/4 up on the gage as the RPM reached high idle (somewhere from 1,000-1,100 RPM). Then I proceeded to erased all the codes once more, and this time Blue Driver reader and app removed both the temporary and permanent codes. The check engine lights and the two fault codes have not shown again. I have been driving the truck about three weeks already, and everything is fine now (no codes, not check engine light, the engine is quieter, and it does not bund as much fuel as before).

When the OBD tester shows the two codes above, more than likely one is going to go through the following steps:
    1. Cam position solenoids (2 for the left bank, and 2 for the right bank).
    2. Dirty oil can cause this problem, too.
    3. The worst one: timing chain work.
    4. I will add the one that made the difference for me: low oil pressure caused by a collapsed oil cartridge, because the cap didn't have the perforated tube in the middle. The oil pressure indicator would never reach the center mark on the gage, and it would stay put just below the center mark regardless of how fast I would accelerate on the road.

I replaced the 4 solenoids with a cheap set I bought at Amazon, but that wasn't the problem. If I would have first troubleshot the abnormal oil pressure, I could have solved the problem without having to replace the solenoids. In other words, I took a wrong turn in the troubleshooting process, since I should have started with an oil pressure problem first.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    Wynnded likes this.
To Top