1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Toyota mechanic!

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by T-Rex266, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Nov 26, 2015 at 7:25 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab

That actually sounds a little more like piston slap. Not so much the exhaust manifold crack that ticks. The older 4.7s do that too once they get some miles on them. Not much to worry about, not much u can do. Drive her, she's fine;)

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 26, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    AaronK

AaronK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2002 White Tundra AC SR5 4x4
    It does have 155k on it. So is it because the extreme cold is causing the piston to shrink giving extra clearance between it and the sleeve? Would a heavier oil mitigate this?
    Thanks for your time and happy thanksgiving!

3. Nov 27, 2015 at 7:40 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Yeah and the bottom of the piston skirts Re just slightly worn... as the piston heats up, the clearance becomes less noise goes away. You could try a heavier oil bit if u live where it gets really cold, may not be a great idea

4. Nov 27, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    AaronK

AaronK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2002 White Tundra AC SR5 4x4
    Ok I'll just leave well enough alone. Thanks!

5. Nov 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Jace, what do you know about ffv alcohol density problems? We went to Colorado this week and the temp in the mountains in the morning were about 20 degrees or so. My truck had a tough time starting every morning, so I checked the ecu thru my torque app and found my truck ethanol levels at 78%. There were no codes, so obviously the truck thinks it's running corn. After the truck was empty, I went and fueled up with 91 octane and it gave me a reading of 56% ethanol.

I've done a ton of reading on this subject and it seems to be a point of pain for ffv owners and I suppose Toyota. My truck has had all of the up to date flashing to combat cold starts and to keep the calibration correct.

In your opinion, is this something Toyota will ever be able to fix? My plan was to keep this truck for as long as it would run, but a problem like this makes me think I should find something else.

I've read there isn't an actual ethanol sensor, but rather some algorithm to calculating this. Do you know how it works? Maybe there is some sort of modification I can do to make sure my truck doesn't think I'm running e85.

Thanks

tat2ude39 likes this.
  6. Nov 28, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Yes we have ran into this quite often. The truck thinks it has e85 in the tank so it ups injection duration. But when 91 is actually there, now its running rich as f*ck. There was a tsb for it i believe, reflash and we had to reset the computers logic. Theres a procedure on how to do it. If its under warranty id bring it in.

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Yeah I've got warranty to 125k. I've had all the flashes already, but I think I will take it and let them look at it. I wish there was a way to make it permenantly disable the flex fuel portion or at least make it to where it never thinks it's running e85. Will removing the battery cable for a half hour reset the values?

8. Nov 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Maybe @LOTSOFTOYS can find the TSB for ya when he goes back to work. ;)

TruckyTruck likes this.
  9. Nov 28, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Possibly. Since you have that tuner thing, see if it resets your value. Pretty sure we have to go in with techstream though.

When im working, im not thinkin about tundras.com sorry

10. Nov 28, 2015 at 6:27 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Yeah I'm wondering if the tuner changed afr numbers making the ecu think I was running flex. I actually think it was the fuel driving thru the panhandle of Texas and all the way to Colorado. I never put anything but 87 in my truck and the low grade thru that area is 85. So I'm thinking the fuel switch, elevation and cold weather did it. But I'm going to flash my ecu back to stock and see if that does the trick before I bring it in for Toyota to flash. But from what I've read, a lot of the time it's the fuel pump that malfunctions. We will see. I was getting an avg of 17 mpg half way to Colorado and then it dropped down to 13 before I even got to the mountains!

11. Nov 29, 2015 at 8:43 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Ill remind you, but when you go back to work, I would greatly appreciate it. I'd like to know the one where they replace the fuel pump. Apparently the one that comes with the tundra has three speeds and the pump they replace it with only has two. This is what's fixing the problem for owners. Thanks man, we know you don't have to do anything for us!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  12. Nov 29, 2015 at 4:23 PM
    Sefferston

Sefferston #37sandlongtravel

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Commufornia (not by choice)
    Vehicle:
    ERMERGERD TOYOTA
    Any reason why the 2nd gens have squishy brakes? I'm going to do lines, pads and new rotors but the extra travel in the pedal is worrisome to an extent

13. Nov 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Stock oem brake pads?

Sefferston[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM
    Sefferston

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    ERMERGERD TOYOTA
    Yes sir, only have 36k on them. Pretty sure the fluid hasn't ever been changed though

15. Nov 29, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I doubt it's the fluid. Lifted with large tires? I haven't heard many people complaining about mushy brakes?

16. Nov 29, 2015 at 8:13 PM
    Sefferston

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    ERMERGERD TOYOTA
    Stock as stock can be.

I'm used to being able to just barely touch the brakes and be able to feel it. Noticed it when we got home yesterday after driving my father in laws Cummins. Just a really long travel like there is air in the line or somethig.

17. Nov 29, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Air is alway possible. It's compressible so would cause mushy brakes. Try the 2 person pump and bleed method to get the air out.

Sefferston likes this.
  18. Nov 29, 2015 at 9:22 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Tough when u are comparing two different makes and models....

19. Nov 30, 2015 at 12:17 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Looks like I didnt have the most recent update for flex fuels. They updated mine and told me if it ever happens again, they are going to replace my fuel pump. I'm good with that. Toyota always takes care of me.

20. Dec 7, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    EdgeWater175

EdgeWater175 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4 - CrewMax Limited
    I have 2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4 that has a water leak somewhere. When I turn to the right, and only the right, I can hear water gushing (sounds as if someone is pouring a glass of water) in the floor board

The carpet is wet under the passenger seat only and if I lift the plastic step against the door, there is some water in both the front and back passenger side. In addition, I can see water dripping from under the truck on the passenger side (where the external frame connects and forms a bit of lip (the drain plugs are just to the right of this and I have removed those without any water dripping out.

I sealed the third break light with silicon based on the Toyota dealer stating this was the source of the leak.

I am at a loss as to where the source of the leak is. Based on my non-mechanical description, does anyone have any input and recommendation based on my issue? Thanks for any help!

21. Dec 7, 2015 at 11:37 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    First off sounds like you have a coolant leak in addition to a water leak. The sloshING noise is typically described when the coolant is low.... so check that.

As for the leak. I'd pull the a pillar on the passenger side. See if u can see a leak with someone spraying water on the truck. Has the windshield been replaced?

22. Dec 7, 2015 at 11:38 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    First off sounds like you have a coolant leak in addition to a water leak. The sloshING noise is typically described when the coolant is low.... so check that.

As for the leak. I'd pull the a pillar on the passenger side. See if u can see a leak with someone spraying water on the truck. Has the windshield been replaced?

23. Dec 7, 2015 at 4:24 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Alright, I know the techs here have been busy, bit I have a question for ya...

Skip to "my question" below to bypass the specifics...

I have a 2014 5.7 CM I bought new. At 2200 miles the transmission was replaced under warranty (my luck). I used to work at the dealership that did the job and the tech that worked on it is a great tech, great guy.

After the transmission was replaced, ONLY after a cold start, occasionally (nightmare to replicate) I get a loud vibration sound coming from the passenger side engine bay/under carriage, it will only do it at a certain RPM range, then goes away after the engine warms a little (about 1 minute). Tech watched a video i took with my phone and was surprised how loud it was. He was unable to duplicate it, I even left it over night and he would meet me in the lot in the morning to listen for it upon startup. Didn't do it in front of him, of course.
    He checked the clearances for the heat shields and said they were good but made some adjustments, however it's still doing it. I was offered a loaner for a few days, but don't want to take them up on it in case it doesn't do it. Someday I may need a loaner for a more serious problem. I want to try checking some things myself (tough without a lift though) because it may be easier for all..
    I also haven't had the chance to be under the truck when it does it to try to pin point it, but that is my first step.

My question:

On a 2014 5.7 CM, what can I check that may have been removed when the tranny was replaced that could cause a loose metal sounding vibration from the front passenger side engine bay/undercarriage. Skid plate, heat shields, anything else?

Thanks in advance gents!!

24. Dec 8, 2015 at 9:09 AM
    2015_1794crewmax

2015_1794crewmax JBO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona red 1794 crew max
    Daystar leveling kit 20" gear chrome wheels Factory tri-fold bed cover Chrome billet grille 6" chrome running boards Black lettering in the tailgate De-badged Hand painted gray pin strip Headlight revolutions L.E.D license plate Headlight revolutions L.E.D. interior kit
    In order to reset the "maintenance required" light on my 2015 5.7 ffv after doing an oil change myself will I need to take it to a dealership or is it the same procedure as my 05 Tacoma was?

Turn key all the way without starting hold trip button continue holding turn key off continue holding turn key back on all the way without starting and release trip button once the dashes go across the trip read out?

Thanks in advance!!

25. Dec 10, 2015 at 6:57 AM
    HTGreen

HTGreen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Halsey
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Tundra Quicksand
    I have a 2016 Tundra CM TRD 4X4 5.7, i installed a scanguage to monitor the transmission temperatures, I am getting 180 degrees on level road, whereas my 2015 TRD OR Tacoma gets 130 degrees. Why is the Tundra 50 degrees higher? I checked the scangauge with transmission cold and the reading agrees with the outside temperature, thus I don't believe its in the coding (using same as Tacoma). Any ideas? Thanks.

26. Dec 10, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab

Sound to me you need to be under it when it is started cold to listen for the noise. When it is that random it can be tough to pinpoint. But yes I agree, look for heat sheilds,starter heat sheild...

Go to trip a. Turn truck off. Hold odo button, turn truck to on position. Let the screen do its thing, then let go.

Huh... my 05 tundra sits around 120 130 cruising. There are 2 sensors in the trans for fluid temp. One is right next to the converter, that one will always run hotter. Are u looking at that one?

MotoTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Dec 10, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    2015_1794crewmax

2015_1794crewmax JBO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona red 1794 crew max
    Daystar leveling kit 20" gear chrome wheels Factory tri-fold bed cover Chrome billet grille 6" chrome running boards Black lettering in the tailgate De-badged Hand painted gray pin strip Headlight revolutions L.E.D license plate Headlight revolutions L.E.D. interior kit
  28. Dec 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM
    HTGreen

HTGreen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Halsey
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Tundra Quicksand
    I'm displaying both, torque converter output sensor runs higher, depending on the amount of shifting and hill climbing. On level flat, both are about the same.

29. Dec 10, 2015 at 11:23 AM
    I3uddy

I3uddy New Member

Member:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Gray SR5 DC 5.7L
    MBRP Dual Exhaust, tint, coin holder cell phone mod, pioneer in-dash DVD, interior LED's, stubby antenna, LED Tailgate light-bar, para chord wrapped Oh shit handles, Tonnopro hard fold cover, bug deflector hood shield, Fuel hostage 20x9 at +20 wrapped in Nitto Terra G2 285/65/20. Debadged, Aries bull bar.
    LOTSOFTOYS I just wanted to say thank you in advance for answering all these questions.

I recently bought a 2011 DC Tundra 5.7L , it is mostly stock except for MBRP dual exhaust, I noticed when I am sitting in the truck in park with it idle if I turn the steering wheel left or right I hear the engine rev a bit. Is that normal?

30. Dec 10, 2015 at 11:52 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I'd say it's probably normal then. I haven't paid attention to a new tundra Temps with a scan tool
    Totally normal. Your loading the engine so it raises the idle

I3uddy[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top