1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Toyota mechanic!

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by T-Rex266, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Nov 1, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 What's a Dickfir?

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Seem normal for city driving. I get about 14 in the city.

2. Nov 3, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    Field Walker

Field Walker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    LOTSOFTOYS you are a saint for putting up all these questions. I have a 2018 Crewmax that I took out for a cruise this morning. With the windows down I noticed a squeak at low speed (8-12 mph). It reminded me of a u-joint squeak. Once speed increased the noise went away. Any insight into this? Thanks in advance. -Ben

3. Nov 3, 2018 at 3:31 PM
    NjPro

NjPro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    2017 Trd Pro Tundra cement
    Auburn Pro LSD, Sprint booster, ICM step rails, CB TRD PRO kit, 285/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, K&N Air charger CAI, Black TRD shift knob, Rhino shackle hitch, Lund Tri-fold bed cover, 1.25 Spidertrax wheel spacers. TRD rear sway bar. Bud Built cross member. Arb Diff breather. Grab handle installed. 2012 DC SR5 TRD Supercharged, Gone but not forgotten.
    I will be picking up my truck tomorrow morning with a newly installed Auburn LSD, on Auburn’s website they say there differentials are broken in at the factory but should I still take it easy for a while so the ring gear can seat correctly ?

4. Nov 5, 2018 at 7:26 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Front or back?

Did they reuse your gear set? If yes then I'd RIP and tear. If not and u have new gears, then yes break them in

NjPro likes this.
  5. Nov 6, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    Field Walker

Field Walker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5

NjPro likes this.
  6. Nov 6, 2018 at 6:23 AM
    NjPro

NjPro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    2017 Trd Pro Tundra cement
    Auburn Pro LSD, Sprint booster, ICM step rails, CB TRD PRO kit, 285/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, K&N Air charger CAI, Black TRD shift knob, Rhino shackle hitch, Lund Tri-fold bed cover, 1.25 Spidertrax wheel spacers. TRD rear sway bar. Bud Built cross member. Arb Diff breather. Grab handle installed. 2012 DC SR5 TRD Supercharged, Gone but not forgotten.

Yes, I reused the original ring gear. Thanks for the response.

7. Nov 6, 2018 at 12:58 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Check where the driveshaft spins next to the fuel tank. Sometimes that little guard around the file tank bends and runs the drive shaft. Also check the backing plates and make sure they aren't rubbing the rotor

Field Walker likes this.
  8. Nov 6, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    slomark

slomark New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax
    This AM I discovered a puddle of coolant under my truck. Puddle was about the size of maybe 2 hockey pucks next to each other. Truck is a 2011 crewmax, 75k miles, 5.7, 4wd. It has to be from the radiator and the stuff related to it or the water pump right? It’s dripping off the skid plate. From above I can see fluid sitting on top the skid plate. Looks to be inline with the serpentine belt on the front of the motor. Drove it around town today, temp gauge was good, all fine, no antifreeze smell.

I have a dealer appt this Thursday for oil change and tire rotation. Just got to make it till then.

Hate when my vehicles leak, I’ll lose sleep tonite, ....just bugs me.

If it needs a water pump, what else should be done while they’re in there with it all apart......?

Thoughts? And Thanks!

9. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:27 AM
    tsuggs

tsuggs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Limited crew cab 4x4
    2006 Tundra Crew Cab 4x4 Limited. I started using my factory heated seats the last few days as it is getting cold here in Wisconsin, First few days worked great, now the driver's side only heats up on part of the seat. The lower left portion of the seat does not heat up. Any common causes for this that you know of? Thanks in advance.

10. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:55 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Sounds like water pump for sure. Have them inspect the radiator too cuz ut wouldnt be much more work to replace at that time. Throw a new serpentine belt at same time.

probably needs a new heater fo the seat. Gotta have a seat guy take the seat cover off and install the new part then reinstall cover

11. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:02 AM
    JQ3

JQ3 New Member

Member:
    What would cause a mild vibration in the steering wheel while stopped with your foot on the brakes...like sitting at a stop light in an 05 Tundra with 94k miles?

12. Nov 8, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    madmatt

madmatt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ocala Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax 4x4. TRD
    Ok, this thread is really long, so if I missed the answer to this question, I apologize in advance.

I have a 2018 4x4 crewmax Trd with nothing aftermarket at all. Totally stock with 10,000 miles on it. My “BRAKE!” Warning comes on (along with the alarm) intermittently for no reason. Beautiful sunny day, not too hot or cold, no traffic around at all (I live in the boondocks). The truck has not tried to stop on its own, but when you’re driving along minding your own business and that thing comes on, it gets your attention! Lol. It’s only happened 3 times so far and with the problem being that rare I doubt that the dealership will be able to recreate it. Any suggestions?

13. Nov 8, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    Tiamat

Tiamat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra crewmax xp
    How do i increase throttle from 82% max to at least 95%.

14. Nov 8, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon "220, 221- WHATEVER IT TAKES" - Michael Keaton

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Have you seen if it is throwing a code? May want to check and see. Most parts stores have a code reader they will let you use.

15. Nov 9, 2018 at 3:55 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades: Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold) Limited Wheels Limited Grill Stubby Antenna Automatic Climate Controls Automatic Headlamp Mod TRD Rear Sway Bar Sequoia Front Sway Bar Sequoia Transfer Case Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Sequoia LED Headlamps Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMF Stainless Catback DAP N/A Tune Engine Block Heater
    High frequency vibration, or low frequency oscillation?

May be as simple as your Parking Brake being out of adjustment from the factory.

Going for the easy one here, might you have a floor mat preventing pressing the throttle to the floor?

16. Nov 9, 2018 at 4:27 AM
    Tiamat

Tiamat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra crewmax xp
    No floormat is not in the way. I know the factory sets the throttle at 82% unlike most other manufacturers i cant find a local guy that can adjust the lag and throttle opening.

17. Nov 9, 2018 at 7:42 AM
    JQ3

JQ3 New Member

Member:
    I’d say a low frequency vibration. Almost like a rough idle, but you can’t hear it or see it in the tachometer.

18. Nov 9, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    OEM Upgrades: Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold) Limited Wheels Limited Grill Stubby Antenna Automatic Climate Controls Automatic Headlamp Mod TRD Rear Sway Bar Sequoia Front Sway Bar Sequoia Transfer Case Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Sequoia LED Headlamps Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMF Stainless Catback DAP N/A Tune Engine Block Heater
    I've not encountered anyone claiming that these adjustments can be made, I guess this is out of my realm of speculation.

I'd be wondering about the condition of the engine air filter, the MAF sensor, and the spark plugs. If they were in poor enough condition, I would expect the last two to set a CEL.

19. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:11 AM
    JQ3

JQ3 New Member

Member:
    No CEL. The owner before me put in a K&N filter. I plan on replacing it with a regular one.

20. Nov 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    wwolvverine

wwolvverine New Member

Member:
    2018 Tundra 1794
    Hello, i have a 5 month old Toyota Tundra crew max and it is making a continuous snapping noise in the upper windshield passenger side. This has been an ongoing problem for Tundras since like over a decade. Have you heard of this problem? What can i do, and thank you LotsOfToys!!!

21. Nov 9, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Clean the MAF, K&Ns are easy to over-oil and oil can get all the way to the throttle body, may want to check that as well

22. Nov 9, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    JQ3

JQ3 New Member

Member:
    I changed out the K&N. I’ll see if that does it...then I’ll try cleaning the MAF.

Thanks!!!

23. Nov 10, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    slomark

slomark New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax

Thx for responding...... and it was the water pump. New one is in, truck is now back up and running. :amen:

LOTSOFTOYS likes this.
  24. Nov 11, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Never heard of that noise?

25. Nov 11, 2018 at 6:46 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Wasn't there a forgotten clip or something of that nature that was attributed to what you're describing? Maybe ask the dealer if the windshield of this truck needed to be replaced before delivery. It's not unheard of for a person to accidentally strike the windshield with a pressure washer wand when cleaning it prior to delivery, happened to mine. Otherwise take it to a dealer, it's under warranty....

26. Nov 14, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    MOSTTX13

MOSTTX13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crew MAx
    Memphis Audio 12s, Mayhem Beast 20S Amp Terrain Grippers
    Hello, I am sorry for this question as I read a very long ongoing thread similar but did not help my situation.
    So September 10th we received massive Rain Fall here I live in Lytle Texas "the Country" right outside of San Antonio. Well I was crossing right at bottom of Rim level in My Tundra, when a "nice Guy" tried to cross at the same time splashing a huge wave into my truck, The Truck stalled out, I have been fighting with the Geico, who told me not to move or attempt to fix well its been 2 months now and no resolution. I took the spark plugs out to attempt to force water out etc, but unfortunately there is no spark the engine is not cranking at all after 2 months and replacing the battery You can hear the fuel pump kick on and electrical components turn on lights etc but engine will not crank. Can anyone suggest where to begin? Due to where I live unfortunately 4 different "Diagnostic" guys have no showed on me and I def cant afford to have it taken to the dealership. If anyone can relate this has caused some major heartaches/depression and inconveniences as I live 40 min from my job and own a small business on top of that, over last couple of months we have taken in my wife's not so "fast" cousin his 2 kids so running 8 people in 8 diff directions everyday is mentally and physically almost in possible not o mention paying for a truck and oh full coverage ins that don't work. Any help or advice is highly appreciated, and I apologize for my vent session. Oh my truck is a 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 5.7 ltr 305-55-20 2'' level

27. Nov 15, 2018 at 3:54 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Crankshaft position sensor maybe? I don't know if the engine would turn over if this sensor is wonky or not. That would be a question for someone who's experienced it. I don't know exactly where it's located, but it's low on the front of the engine and I would think that it could easily get swamped and possibly create an open circuit.

28. Nov 15, 2018 at 5:22 AM
    shawn.roe24

shawn.roe24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Crewmax TRD Offroad
    This might be a dumb question but I havent had this happen in any of my chevy trucks. Is it normal for for the 5.7 to run higher oil temps on initial startup in cold weather? After I drove it for a mile or 2 the gauge went back to normal. Was just curious

29. Nov 15, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    CPS is on the back of the 5.7 drivers side. But that shouldnt effect it cranking. When you to crank does it click or do anything?

Grab a long ratchet and try turning the crank shaft by hand using the front crank bolt. Let's see how much water go sucked in. Sounds like it hyrdrolocked

30. Nov 15, 2018 at 5:26 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Pressures? yes.

To Top