1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Toyota mechanic!

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by T-Rex266, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Sep 26, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    usmp97

usmp97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky CM Platinum
    Sold ‘15 CM

It's weird, there is a max and min on the dial. There are also lots of wire tapped into itimage.jpg

2. Sep 26, 2015 at 3:58 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    It's only weird that you don't know what it is and it's your truck. ;)

It shows in your profile that your truck is a 2015. Based on that, I would suppose that you bought it new from the dealer. You're going to have to ask them what they had installed, it's certainly not factory. I have an aftermarket remote start installed in the same general area of my 2011. Could be a coincidence.

3. Sep 26, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    usmp97

usmp97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sold ‘15 CM

Yup, hadn't pulled this panel yet. Strange to me. No remote start that I know of. I'll ask next time I head up there. Thanks

4. Sep 26, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    No worries, sorry I couldn't give a definitive answer.

5. Sep 26, 2015 at 7:38 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Min max is the sensitivity adjustment for an alarm.

Nope, people addexhaust all the time

What he said^

Emily[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 26, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    usmp97

usmp97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sold ‘15 CM

Thank you kindly. Tried the auto start and that didn't work. I'll talk to dealer when I can get up there

7. Sep 26, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM
    Jace,

thanks for the info man! :drunk:

LOTSOFTOYS likes this.
  8. Sep 27, 2015 at 3:38 PM
    bb2124

bb2124 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Dbl cab 4wd
    Hello, longtime Toyota owner, first time Tundra owner here. Backstory, Just bought an 08 Tundra with 66,000 miles, YAY me right? Well, I knew it had a few issues, but I got it for $15,500 so I had some wiggle room as far as my budget. I noticed right off that the front rotors were warped, which is somewhat typical. I also noticed a low growl, that turned into a vibration at 43-47 mph. I called the local dealership and had them run the VIN to see if any recall work had been done, they said no, bring it in. Had the recall work done and had them identify the driveline issue. The tech said it was the right rear axle bearing, $450 for bearing+$3-400 for labor. I said thanks, but ill handle it. Forward to today, I removed the axle. first thing I noticed was quite a bit of gear oil came out of the axle tube when I pulled the axle. I was under the impression that there are baffles that prevent this, so do I assume that the baffles are bad? What is involved in replacing/repairing the baffles?
    Next, do I take the entire axle assembly to the machine shop or is there anything else I need to remove before hand. I cant really see anything other than the speed sensor that could be removed.

9. Sep 27, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Did u not drain the diff oil? If u didnt, yes alot of fluid would come out. Fluid should come up all the way to the inner seal. I would have your bearing replaced and you should replace your inner seal in the axle tube.

10. Sep 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    bb2124

bb2124 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Dbl cab 4wd
    Thanks! Haha, no I didn't drain the diff, I was following a DIY thread and had never tackled anything in the axle area. I didn't think about it and the thread didn't mention it, LESSON LEARNED! I did order a new retainer and seal from toyota and will replace those as well! So, I guess the baffles don't keep the diff fluid out of the axle tube?

11. Sep 27, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    No they do not

12. Sep 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    bb2124

bb2124 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Dbl cab 4wd
    Ok, thanks for the info!

13. Oct 1, 2015 at 12:37 PM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM
    Jace,

This one has been bugging me, and you may not be the right one to ask on this. So my 3 yr/ 30k mile warranty is about to be up, i've got 29k on her. Now of course the stealership is trying to get me to pay $200 and extend it to 40k miles. My question is A. Is it worth it? and B. What are the service intervals you need to follow to keep the lifetime powertrain warranty? When i bought the truck, they made it clear that I have to abide by the factory service intervals to maintain the warranty, yet no Toyota employee can tell me what those are. I also cannot find them in the owners manual.

14. Oct 1, 2015 at 1:26 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    They should be in your owners manual. Basically u have to have proof of oil changes and rotations up to 60k. Your driveline fluids are due at 30k intervals.
    200 bucks for another 4k miles? 3/36 btw.... doesn't seem worth it.

15. Oct 1, 2015 at 1:38 PM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM
    Sounds like I have some calling to do if it is actually 3/36 because I was told, and have continued to be told 3/30. They have also tried to tell me that there is a big service to be done at 40k. Is that true? maybe it was just all maintenance was covered until 30k.

16. Oct 1, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    All maintenance is covered to 25k. Bumper to bumper factory warranty is 3/36 power train is 5/60

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.
  17. Oct 1, 2015 at 4:43 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    What if I do my own maintenance? They can void my warranty because I didn't take it to them every 5k to have my oil changed? I do not have any plans to take Toyota up on the "free maintenance" but I definitely don't want to give up my warranty.

18. Oct 1, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM

I was wondering the same thing.

19. Oct 2, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I said PROOF of oil changes. Keep your receipts and your warranty still stands

20. Oct 2, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM
    I'm not saying warranty admins are unreasonable...but I could definitely see "So you bought oil...that's all this receipt proves." I keep all my yota service documents in the glove box and would just add the receipts to this growing collection with mileage noted. However, in the case that something drastic happens, I hope they are level minded people. Some techs in Virginia got a shipment of Toyota oil with water in it, serviced my buddies taco with it...ruined. He still had to fight with Toyota.

21. Oct 7, 2015 at 3:16 PM
    Mannishboy

Mannishboy New Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Limited, Blue Ribbon Metallic.
    TRD exhaust, TRD cai, TRD rear sway bar, TRD shift knob, Sequoia front sway bar, bed extender, bed step, Weathertech floor mats and window vents, spray in bed liner, Morimoto fogs, Access tonneau bed cover.
    Hi. New Tundra owner, 2015 DC 37 mi. New to this forum as well.
    My old 04 Tacoma had an issue with the parking brake. I never used it and the Toyota mech said it was frozen and I had a choice of disconnecting it or replace it for 500.00. I chose to disconnect it as I live in Indiana and is relatively flat. I don't go off road at all and my truck is a daily driver exclusively. My question: Do I have to make myself use the parking brake in my new Tundra to avoid this problem? If I don't, am I destined to have the same thing happen on my new truck?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  22. Oct 7, 2015 at 7:52 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I have a first gen taco and my tundra... first off, first gen tacos had drum rears which are way different than ur new tundra. Should u use ur parking brake? Yes it helps keep the truck where u want it with little effort from the transmssion. Do u have to use it? No, not gonna hurt anything. I'm willing to bet 90 percent of tundra owners don't use it... up to u.... I will say, I use mine probably 8 out of 10 times i park.... lifted with big tires, I don't want it to move:)

23. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:16 PM
    Muggs

Muggs New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra TSS
    I recently had an oil change at a local Toyota dealership and to make a long story short they forgot to install the gasket to the filter. After several miles driving i had a huge oil leak which caused my engine to knock. The dealership had it towed in and said no damaged was done however they wanted to do another oil change after a 100 miles. When the change was done they found shavings in the oil but not the filter, it was taken back after another 100 mile and i was told no shavings was found in the oil or filter. Now my oil gauge fluctuates from a little less than half to 3/4 and the knocking sound is gone. Is it normal for my gauge to fluctuate? Should i be concerned with this? Will damage occur in the near future due to this problem?

24. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:29 AM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    110 miles north of Los Angeles, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2001 Tundra, original owner
    Bone stock
    I would be very concerned that they found metal in the drain oil, if that's what you mean by "shavings". Metal shavings to me is like swarf off a mill or drill press. If they found metal in the oil then i would think damage had been done to a certain degree, I would get the dealer to admit their responsibility in writing. This could have an impact on the engine's service life and future reliability. Good luck.

25. Oct 9, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Yes it is normal for the oil pressure to fluctuate.
    I agree, just make sure it's documented somehow that this was done and drive the truck. Should there ever be a problem related, you'll have a leg to stand on

26. Oct 9, 2015 at 1:42 PM
    shukvegas

shukvegas New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax Platinum
    I have a 2011 Platinum with power fold mirrors. My passenger side mirror hits the door window when folded. Is there some type of limit switch that can be adjusted to make it stop hitting? My other issue is that both mirrors have puddle lights on the bottom of them. The bulbs are good and they are getting NO power to them. I checked the wire harness and all fuses and they are good. Thanks for the help!

27. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Sounds like the passenger mirror was forced folded and the limit mechanism broke. Replace it.

Puddle lights aren't getting power? Are they factory mirrors?

28. Oct 10, 2015 at 4:49 AM
    shukvegas

shukvegas New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax Platinum
    Ok, thank you!

I'm guessing they are factory mirrors, not 100% sure. How can I tell if they are OEM or aftermarket mirrors?

29. Oct 10, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    There are more and more aftermarket mirrors becoming available now a days... post a pic and have these 2nd Gen guys comment in

30. Oct 10, 2015 at 10:12 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    What you might try next is removing the small plastic triangle piece from the inside of the door panel where the mirrors attach. It pulls straight away and flies in some random direction. Pull out the connector for the electrical and see if the number of wires coming from the harness is the same as the number of pins on the mirrors. They may be fit from another Toyota Tundra.

To Top