1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Toyota mechanic!

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by T-Rex266, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Sep 12, 2015 at 10:58 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Depends on the wheel

2. Sep 12, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    T_dublecab14

T_dublecab14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RC
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 doublecab 4x4
    TRD
    stock trd toyota wheels , lugs have the protruding bolt like about 3/4 inch then a flat washer like surface like the wheel where the wheel stud goes thru. so the lug nut is like a bolt in a lug nut version

3. Sep 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I would use the same. They make them, I have some on my trd wheels

Virgils12 likes this.
  4. Sep 13, 2015 at 2:42 PM
    Tundros

Tundros New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnnie
    Hawai'i
    Vehicle:
    2011 Gray Tundra Dbl Cab 5.7L 4x4
    Aftermarket front and rear lights, added fog lights, bed liner, bull bar, bed cover, chrome door handles, chrome mirrors, side steps, AFE stage 2 Short RAM intake, Pioneer stereo, Alpine 6x9 front door speakers, 6in Pioneer round speakers rear door, 1 12in Pioneer sub with 1200 watt Sony Xplode amp. Toyota door logo courtesy lights and 20in black and machine rims on 275/60 Cooper HT plus M&S tires also painted red calipers. Also painted red Toyota emblem.
    I bought aftermarket wheels with tpms already installed. The truck is having a hard time reading the sensor. I've taking it to a local shop they said they fixed it but 10-15 miles down the road light came on again. Is the dealership my only option to get the sensors scanned and read?

5. Sep 13, 2015 at 4:08 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    No. All tire shops have the tools to program the sensors. But I'm betting those after market sensors are junk.... hit or miss

6. Sep 17, 2015 at 3:54 AM
    Tundros

Tundros New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnnie
    Hawai'i
    Vehicle:
    2011 Gray Tundra Dbl Cab 5.7L 4x4
    Aftermarket front and rear lights, added fog lights, bed liner, bull bar, bed cover, chrome door handles, chrome mirrors, side steps, AFE stage 2 Short RAM intake, Pioneer stereo, Alpine 6x9 front door speakers, 6in Pioneer round speakers rear door, 1 12in Pioneer sub with 1200 watt Sony Xplode amp. Toyota door logo courtesy lights and 20in black and machine rims on 275/60 Cooper HT plus M&S tires also painted red calipers. Also painted red Toyota emblem.
    Thanks for the feedback I was thinking the same.

7. Sep 18, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    Ilse

Ilse New Member

Member:
    I'm posting this from TT....I tried the gasket switch with no luck. Looking for a Toyota Tech's idea.

The past two weeks, I've noticed a high pitched whining/whistling sound coming from the front of my truck/dash. It seems to be in sync with the transmission or motor but I'm not 100% on that. It is very high pitched and faint but definitely there.

It is not the typical whistling sound you get from the air intake. I do have a K&N CAI that came with the truck but I'm familiar with that sound. This is something completely different.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Bumping this one back up. I bought the replacement gasket and changed it out today. Quick 10 minute job.....that didn't solve the problem one bit.

I'm still getting the sound. It's more of a whining than a whistle. It is not the noise that is associated with the CAI. I've listened to that since I bought the truck in the summer of '14.

This noise recently started and has never been heard before. The truck runs fine, no lights are on, etc. It's acting healthy. There has to be someone here with an idea to try? I'm going to clean my K&N filter but I did that about two months ago. I'm at a loss here.

8. Sep 18, 2015 at 10:01 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Bearing on a pulley? water pump?

9. Sep 18, 2015 at 10:48 PM
    RichWentFishing504

RichWentFishing504 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 SR5 White Crew Max
    Maintenance questions from the manual: lubricate propeller shaft and torque it with what and what torque setting? Also it says to tighten nuts and bolts on chassis. What's the torque on those?

10. Sep 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Is the noise there all the time? Any time the engine is running?

11. Sep 19, 2015 at 2:22 PM
    Ilse

Ilse New Member

Member:
    No, I only hear it when driving. It sounds like a very high pitched whining and follows the transmission or engine revs? It almost sounds like the intake whistle but I don't think thats it.

12. Sep 19, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    If it followed the engine revs like your saying... it would do it in park and just free reving. Kinda sounds like it is drive train related? As long as the truck is moving it makes it? Speed of truck change it?

13. Sep 23, 2015 at 10:31 AM
    Monstahman

Monstahman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra 5.7
    lifted leveled 33s ultra rims
    Does anyone know what kind of brake controller I need to buy for my 2008 5.7 so that I may pull a camper. DOES TOYOTA SUGGEST A CERTAIN TYPE?

14. Sep 23, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    Ilse

Ilse New Member

Member:
    Turns out it was an audio fault. My friend added a ground wire to my head unit and the noise is gone.

I initially thought it might be something like that but when I looked into it online, I saw in a couple threads that other people mentioned it and were told it wasn't audio. Mine did it with the radio on, off, and muted.

But it is fixed now and thats what matters to me.

Max Power likes this.
  15. Sep 23, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    Stelly

Stelly New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro, Crew Max, Metallic Gray
    TRD Rock Warrior 17" Wheels, BFG Tires 315/70/17 KO2's, 1.25" front spacers, TRD Intake, N-Fab BAJA Pro Bumper, Hella Lights, LED fog bulbs
    Question regarding TPMS sensors. I'm waiting for my TRD Pro to arrive and I have already purchased my 17" TRD Rock Wheels for it with tires. I read in an earlier thread that your not a big fan of aftermarket sensors so I'm shying away from those. My question is, if I purchase factory TPMS sensors for these wheels, would they still need to be calibrated to the truck? Or am I better off removing the sensors from the factory wheels and having installed on the new wheels, assuming they would not have to be calibrated

16. Sep 23, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    As far as I know they don't recommend a certain type... I can recommend one for u though? I just installed this in my truck and a couple in second gens like yours. A 20 or 30 dollar harness adapter and bingo your good.

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/br...rs/prodigy-p2/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB52uqDvaehMa!

Weird... but cool glad it's fixed

I would take the sensors out now your wheels and transfer them into the trd wheels. I'm betting they fit. The parts dept will know. No programming needed if you swap... new sensors will need programmed

17. Sep 23, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    tuna813

tuna813 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tuna!
    Vehicle:
    13' RCSB
    Thank you for this thread, helpful.

LOTSOFTOYS I just parked the truck, turned off the ignition, took off the key and the truck wouldn't turn off. I'm assuming it's ignition/starter related? Did a couple times and the truck wouldn't turn off.

Literally had the key off and the truck didn't turn off. Any clues on what to do? Kept the truck on for 30 mins until it turned off by itself, turned it back on a few minutes later, and now seemed to be back to normal.

18. Sep 23, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    That's odd haha kinda like it has a turbo timer... is there an aftermarket alarm on the truck? First thought....

19. Sep 23, 2015 at 8:21 PM
    tuna813

tuna813 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tuna!
    Vehicle:
    13' RCSB
    Freaked me out.... nope, no alarms on the truck.

20. Sep 23, 2015 at 8:22 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Huh.... no warning lights on when u restarted it?

21. Sep 23, 2015 at 8:27 PM
    tuna813

tuna813 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tuna!
    Vehicle:
    13' RCSB
    Not the last time, worked just fine like nothing had happened. When it decided to stay on the air bag light was the only one on for good, then the tire pressure one flashed, but that's pretty much it. Even with the truck on, when I removed the key and put it back in, the lights would come up the same as if I was to start the truck as usual for a sec or so.

22. Sep 24, 2015 at 4:10 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    @tuna813 Is there an aftermarket remote start installed? The next time that you turn if off, try pressing the brake pedal. Maybe try seeing if it drives, just be careful in case it decides to shut down while you're in traffic.

tuna813 likes this.
  23. Sep 25, 2015 at 2:24 PM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM
    Hey Jace,

Thanks for what your doing, keeps a lot of DIY guys happy.

Quick question for you if you don't mind. In my 2014 Tundra I notice a somewhat sour smell coming from my ac when I start the truck. It goes away, but is kind of unpleasant. I did a little research and found that some people say its a possibility that the drain tubes are clogged. Could this be the culprit? I do keep it on recirculating air 95 percent of the time. On my way home today, i'm going to switch it to fresh air since I also read this may have something to do with it. Any thoughts? Once again thanks for what you do!

24. Sep 25, 2015 at 7:03 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Ok Jace, Ive got a question for you... Ive talked with a few "Toyota experts" about the bully dog tuner. They say Toyota cant detect a tune that is loaded on the ecu. Have any first hand experience with this?

And this: If a person was to remove the tune and flash back to stock and bring the truck in, would your systems just see that the ecu had been reset or could you tell it had actually been flashed?

25. Sep 25, 2015 at 7:40 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Happens all the time man... my fiancees venza is doing this currently. I know it's annoying. Your are right on the dot though. Keeping it on recirculation allows bacteria to grow in the a/c box which smells. If the drain tube was clogged you'd notice wet carpet as well.... u can check it though... takE a look behind the carpet on the passenger side under the dash. Haven't done a tundra but most are accessible to clean out fairly easily. Run on fresh air for a bit. Should help. At work we have a spray called fridge fresh. It helps alot kill the bacteria and make it smell good again;) remember once the temp drops and ac isn't used as much, it'll go away.

Ok this question is mush more understandable. No I don't have direct experience with tuners. I have seen numerous piggy back ecu wired in. They connect to the maf, the a/f aensors, throttle motor, injectors etc etc.... those are obvious and yes we will tell u to pound sand if a problem is brought up under warranty.

As for the flash. All we can see are the calibration numbers. If they don't match what toyota shows to be correct it's obvious. But I think I'd need a reason to look for that if that makes sense.

26. Sep 25, 2015 at 7:57 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Thanks man! If I blew my motor doing dumb stuff with it, I wouldn't bother trying to have it warrantied, but if something like a cam tower leak came up, I'd take the tune off and go in with it. I know the tune wouldn't cause a seal to leak, but I wouldn't want to even have that conversation. Or pound sand. Ha

Would you be able to pull those calibration numbers if the ecu was reset by leaving the battery cable off for a half hour after it was flashed back to stock?

27. Sep 26, 2015 at 7:09 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Probably not

28. Sep 26, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    usmp97

usmp97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky CM Platinum
    Sold ‘15 CM
    So, doing more dipping today and noticed this box...what exactly am I looking at? This is in the panel behind my mirror controlsimage.jpg

TruckyTruck likes this.
  29. Sep 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    Emily

Emily New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emily
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    Weathertech mats, Line-x bed liner, 5% tint
    Hey Jace! Would adding a new exhaust void my warranty on my 2015 Tundra?

30. Sep 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Something your dealer installed would be my guess. Remote start, alarm possibly. You may need to ask them, zip-ties like that aren't usually standard Toyota issue.

To Top