1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARRGHHH....TPMS issue (not the typical one either)/Which sensor for ICON wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dspilot, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Mar 6, 2020 at 6:17 AM
    dspilot

dspilot [OP] Professional Nomad

Member:
    North Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 4X4 Silver Sky Metallic
    Just dropped everything off at the shop to get tires mounted and balanced, and alignment done. Hung out for a few minutes while they got the first one under way. Apparently the TPMS sensors that I ordered from @Roman don't fit the ICON Rebounds. They stick almost straight out into the wheel. Shop guy said it would be nearly impossible to mount the tire without snapping the sensor.

So, what sensor do I need for these wheels? Is there an OEM sensor that fits these correctly? The shop guy is doing some research too. Just thought I'd ask here. Someone in this awesome group has to have the answer.

2. Mar 6, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    dspilot

dspilot [OP] Professional Nomad

Member:
    North Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 4X4 Silver Sky Metallic
    Ok, so.....a few phone calls with the shop, and a couple of emails back n forth between me and @Roman, and the determination is that the TPMS sensors from the steelies are the right ones for the ICON wheels. In the future if anyone stumbles across this issue, you need the 40 degree TPMS sensor from Toyota for the ICON rebounds.

pickeledpigsfeet, Roman and LogCabins like this.
  3. Mar 16, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Just to add my experience. I had my 2019 OEM steel wheels/tires replaced today with TRD Pro alloy rims and new Falken tires. I bought a new set of the 20 degree sensors based on advice here in the forum that the 40 degree OEM sensors don't work with alloy wheels. Some report that their tire shops were able to make the 40 degree sensors that come on the OEM steel wheels work with alloy wheels, but my tire shop could not figure it out without breaking the sensors. They also did not have the right tools to program the new OEM 20 degree sensors and they couldn't use them (I'd have to have the Toyota stealership reprogram them for a nominal fee...)

The tire shop ended up using their in-stock TMPS sensor (Autel 21604 sensors) and installed and programmed like a charm. So if anyone comes across this thread and your tire shop is having a problem - they might be able to use an after-market sensor other than the OEM Toyota version for your application. Good luck.

dspilot[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top