1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Summit Bumper and Recommended Suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by WX4SNO, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Mar 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    WX4SNO

WX4SNO [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Snowville, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 CM Limited 4x4, 5.7L Cement Grey
    Hello everyone! I hope folks are managing the virus threat well-enough. I'm looking forward to spring and hoping things settle back to normal in the coming weeks.

I have a 2019 CM Limited TRD Off-Road and have had bad luck in the past with deer collisions. I picked up the new Tundra a little over a year ago and luckily I haven't had any deer run out in front of me. My father-in-law has an ARB bumper on his old Nissan Titan and I am seriously considering getting the Summit bumper from them for my truck.

[​IMG]

I assume I need a beefier suspension since the bumper weighs in over 200#. I live off-road a good distance from the main highway, but nothing overly bumpy...got some rough ditches and potholes though. The truck is my daily driver for the next several years and I do plan on keeping it for as long as she continues to run. My questions are:

1) Is a replacement suspension necessary with the TRD Off-Road package? If so,

2) What recommendations do you all have for a good replacement suspension to accommodate this bumper setup?

3) Is the suspension swap-out a job for the average Joe? Do I need special tools and a lift to do it?

4) Any other suggestions or helpful hints about other possible full-grill bumpers or other suggestions??​

I would have the Toyota stealership install the bumper, but I thought I might get them to do the suspension at the same time once the bumper is installed. That is assuming they don't charge an arm and a leg for it. The bumper labor was reasonable...I think $130 is what they quoted me several months back.

For example, would the meet my needs and what about the rear options...anyone else have a similar setup and have thoughts on this?
    [​IMG] I appreciate the suggestions in helping me choose. Maybe once things calm down some I'll be able to have this done!

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. Mar 23, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    I run the c4 front bumper (160lbs + winch and lights) and run the icon vehicle dynamics front coilovers, UCA's and 2 coachbuilder shims and shackles in the back.

3. Mar 24, 2020 at 5:05 AM
    WX4SNO

WX4SNO [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Snowville, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 CM Limited 4x4, 5.7L Cement Grey
    Thanks Dexter...I like the look of that bumper! How does it ride when you go over bumps or hit potholes...and driving down the highway?

4. Mar 24, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    Skey44

Skey44 GreenvilleOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    Lift, tires, wheels, roof rack
    Some companies have a longer heavier coil for a winch and bumper that still equals a 2” lift. OME is made by ARB, and Dobinsons suspension also has this down IMO

5. Mar 24, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    Rides great!

6. Mar 24, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    StrmTroop29

StrmTroop29 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Hey Anthony!

You have a great name! I'm Anthony over at Toyteclifts! Our boss system is definitely going to be able to handle the extra added weight especially with that arb bumper. We have noticed the 2.5 shock body's are more popular with the Tundra guys with that much extra weight. Let me know what specific questions you have and I'll help out as much as I can sir!

7. Apr 2, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    codename607

codename607 New Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra / 2024 Tundra
    I plan on getting this same bumper for my Tundra in the next few months and I've been researching what I'll need before it goes on.

1) A replacement suspension is necessary once you add the bumper. The TRD Sport suspension is the firmest from the Tundra line up. The TRD Off Road suspension is the softest and will likely yield the most sag once the bumper is added.

2) I recommend something that is designed to handle the weight. If you plan on adding other things like lights, winch and skids you might need to look at getting springs with a higher rate. The Toytec Boss 2.5 would be a better recommendation. Depending on the amount of sag you get when adding the bumper you could add some preload to gain the correct height. Also, consider Upper Control Arms the closer you get to a 3" lift.

3) Suspension installs are pretty easy and if you have the space and time I highly recommend doing it yourself. Ask someone to give you a hand and you can easily knock it out over a weekend. Take your time and watch a few YouTube videos before hand. The bumper is not something I would recommend doing at home. Since you need to cut your stock bumper I would take this to a place that has done it before. NOT a Toyota Dealership. Labor on something like this is way more that your quoted $130. More like $500.

4) I highly recommend ARB bumpers for one reason. They are designed to be used with your airbag system.

AggiePhil likes this.
  8. Apr 2, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    I have had and ARB bumper before....best and strongest bumper I have ever seen.

blackcloud08 likes this.
  9. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:29 PM
    Yota100

Yota100 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra 4x4 97 T100 4x4
    14 Tundra 2.5 kings all around with remote reservoir and adjusters with 700# springs Total chaos bushing style control arms Camburg 1.5 inch lift shackles Coachbuilder polt bushings in leaf springs Bmc and front bumper trimmed 37x12.50x17 toyo MTs 17 inch Icon rebounds +25 offset 5% tint Winjet taillights True dual flowmaster super 40s ARB summit bumper Smittybuilt 12k winch White Knuckle Offroad sliders
    Currently running the arb with a 12k winch and now wko sliders. I'm running king suspension all around have 700# springs on the front does great for me

20200102_103939.jpg

Y0TA PR0, 68 RS/SS, AggiePhil and 4 others like this.
  10. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    Yota100

Yota100 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra 4x4 97 T100 4x4
    14 Tundra 2.5 kings all around with remote reservoir and adjusters with 700# springs Total chaos bushing style control arms Camburg 1.5 inch lift shackles Coachbuilder polt bushings in leaf springs Bmc and front bumper trimmed 37x12.50x17 toyo MTs 17 inch Icon rebounds +25 offset 5% tint Winjet taillights True dual flowmaster super 40s ARB summit bumper Smittybuilt 12k winch White Knuckle Offroad sliders
    The suspension set up is simple to do your self honestly I did mine in my in my driveway not hard if you have the basic tools and a torque wrench. the bumper was simple as well to do just take your time and have some help to install me and my grandfather did it ourselves in his shop

11. Sep 7, 2022 at 2:30 PM
    ToyoD

ToyoD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DC
    Build page link in signature
    @WX4SNO
    Did you ever get this bumper?
    What did you end up going with for suspension, and did you have any issues with the TSS sensor from the bumper being in the way?

12. Mar 19, 2023 at 7:49 PM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Texas Chapter President

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Smoked Mesquite Platinum 4x4
    How much length does this bumper add to the truck over stock? Have some garage limitations I need to assess before pulling the trigger. Thanks!

13. May 13, 2023 at 11:29 AM
    EasyMoney

EasyMoney New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Platinum - Build in process
    5.29 gears. E-lockers front/rear
    Can anyone with an ARB Summit bumper tell me whether the bumper must be removed for headlight replacements? I am in the market for a bumper but looks like taking the grill off would be impossible with this bumper on there. Would love some feedback

AggiePhil likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top