1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Apparently, I Unkowingly Ran From The Police

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CourtJester, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Mar 8, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    It's not an episode of Seinfeld. Good luck with that one.

2. Mar 8, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    Dwarven1

Dwarven1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 w/TRD Off-Road.
    2018 SR5 - Bolo Mark XXb - Unit DNE of the Line. "Denny"
    Yup, because most staties set their radar to go off at 10 MPH over the limit. Read "The Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets" by NY Trooper (retired) James M Egan.

Frequently (at least in New England) the staties send a designated trooper to court on any given day. ALL he'll have is the notes from the trooper that stopped you, and if you took notes from the stop (you did, didn't you?) you can use your notes to trip up the trooper who's in court - because he WASN'T there. Worked for me when I was hit by someone speeding and they tried to make it my fault. Showed up with pictures of the northwest corner, the southwest corner... and that's not to mention the aerial photography. ;) OK, I actually just showed pictures of the big "PARKING GARAGE" sign that blocked my view of the road where the speeder was coming down as I was coming out, and that proved I couldn't have seen him given how much damage he did to my car (showing the speed he was going).

dittothat[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    I'm from rural Mississippi originally, and lived in several parts of the state. I've known several MHP, including the commissioner at one time. There are good ones, and there rookies and not so good ones. The good ones get to choose the area where they live. The area where this happened is generally not one of those areas. The truth is, if you actually had been doing 93, with out of state tags, and he really thought you were attempting to evade, there is a high probability that you would have gone to jail. My supposition is that he just put the high number there to inflate your pain, assuming you would just call in and pay a very expensive fine. The judge is likely just as ethically challenged, but your best bet is still to show up in court with a good lawyer who can challenge everything including calibration of the radar gun to the officer's comment. I know someone FROM MISSISSIPPI who went through something similar, had to pay a huge fine for something he was not guilty of, and ended up mounting a camera behind him documenting his speedometer any time he was on the road to provide a defense if it happened again. This was back before dash cams were a thing.

pickeledpigsfeet likes this.
  4. Mar 8, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    TundraTimbo

TundraTimbo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2018 Trd SR5 Crewmax Inferno Tundra
    Stock
    I don’t think a Toyota Corolla can do 93? It would at least take awhile to get there.

5. Mar 8, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    I don't need to read a guide on how to avoid speeding tickets....it's easy, don't speed.

A cop has every right to pull you over for going 2-3-4-5mph over the limit. Heck, he could do it for 1 and force you to fight it in court.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  6. Mar 8, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    Which is exactly why we have due process, to protect us from abuses of the system.

7. Mar 8, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    rockmup

rockmup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's
    Moving violations in the South are nothing more than a revenue stream. I lived in California until I was 45 and had 3 tickets at that time. After moving to the South I had 11 tickets in 4 yrs. Know how many are on my record ? Zero, not a single one.
    For the people saying to go to court because the cop won't show, you're wrong. Barney Fife will absolutely show.

Call them and find out what the fine is, talk to the lady that answers the phone and ask if there is a way to make it a non moving violation. She can usually do it, sometimes it requires a letter to the DA. If you get no love then hire a local attorney to represent you. Likely it will never go to court.

8. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:01 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Thats not too far over and quite reasonable. The speed limit on our highways is 110km/h. I set my cruise at 120.

9. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:07 AM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    I love reading this stuff. I can tell you how to get out of a speeding ticket, but I won't and it has nothing to do with your piss! Lol. Anyways, A cop with that kind of attitude should be fired.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  10. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:09 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    The cop's own story doesn't even make much sense. If someone was really running from him, why would they immediately turn around and head right back to the interstate(from the side road you went down). That same person damn sure wouldn't roll up right next to the cop car afterwards while still speeding. The cop clearly had you mistaken for another car that was going much faster. I'm not even sure if a judge will believe you. Is your passenger willing to vouch for your story? This isn't that crazy to believe when you realize how many Corollas are on the road.

11. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:16 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    Don't get me wrong, I always set mine to about 8 Kph over, but realize if they want to pull me over they will.

That said, if I KNOW there is a cop behind me, I don't press my luck and go under the posted limit. Same goes for passing through a Red Light camera or Radar Vehicle parked on the side of the road. It's unlikely I'll get a ticket for going 5km over, but why chance it.

12. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I never speed other than knowing that the speedo in my wife's car reads 2 kph high but I figure if the cops are passing me (without their lights on), I should be good, right? :rofl:

13. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:25 AM
    Noob Saibot

Noob Saibot New Member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 5.7 Crewmax Ltd
    This sucks, but you are in a no-win situation.

If you think the cop was crooked, just wait until you face the small-town judge.

If it was just a case of mistaken identity, it's still his word against yours.

I had something similar happen to me many years ago, minus the piss. Cop (auto-)clocked a guy roaring on from an on-ramp. I was exiting. The guy nearly wrecked me. I got pulled over on the exit ramp. Went to court and everything, showed that my job was at that exit, and the curve in the road that clearly showed only the vehicles screaming down the on-ramp get clocked (known to anyone who works/lives there). I still lost. The judges are there to convict you.

Forget the lawyer too. Even if you win it's still money down the drain.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  14. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely. If they are driving fast, you can to. If they question you, tell them "Bruce" said it was ok.:hattip:

I know you know, but many don't understand. Many times if a cruiser car is flying down the road, speeding, no lights/sirens, it doesn't mean he is racing home or to 7-11 for a Slurpee. There is more to it, that the general public doesn't realize.

15. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I only thought of that because I was driving around my town the other day and an RCMP car closed up behind me, followed me for a bit then passed me. I assume he was running my plate so I just held it at the speed limit and flew casual.

16. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:00 AM
    PJR202

PJR202 New Member

Member:
    If you can keep it off your record, just pay the fine and move on. You'll probably spend more on a lawyer than the fine. Far more, in-fact. Sometimes it's best to just be the better man instead of letting the ego push you into something just for the sake of being right.

BlueDream and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  17. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:11 AM
    Dwarven1

Dwarven1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 w/TRD Off-Road.
    2018 SR5 - Bolo Mark XXb - Unit DNE of the Line. "Denny"
    Why good cops tolerate assholes like this I have NO idea. Because THIS kind of crap is why so many good people hate cops - the one time they got bent over the hood by some dirtbag with a badge who just HAD to prove he was Billy Badass. But John Q Citizen can't tell the good guy with the badge from Billy BA - so he thinks ALL of them are like that.

And THEN they stop you because "everyone speeds and if you were doing the speed limit it was because you were likely carrying drugs in your car." Seriously - I know people who were stopped BECAUSE they were doing exactly the speed limit. (No, not me. I set my cruise control for 9 over on the interstate and just roll along in the slow lane, passing as needed.)

18. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    There was a story in our local paper a while back about this family who got pulled over for driving suspiciously (can't remember the exact circumstances) and when the vehicle was searched, the police determined that they were selling drugs and arrested them.

A guy at my church wrote an angry letter to the paper asking why this family was "targeted" (they were a visible minority driving an older car). My response to him is: If you don't want to get pulled over, obey the road laws and if you don't want to get arrested for selling drugs, don't sell drugs.

19. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:37 AM
    JimboSlice413

JimboSlice413 Super Nice Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4x4, 2003 Sequoia
    Bilstein 5100/5160 Toyo at2 295/70r18 Ray10 GunMetal
    I would reach out to the rental company and see if the corolla has a speed limiter installed. Your lawyer should (probably will) request for the highway patrol dash cam. You can also request this for yourself through FOIA

ryanwgregg likes this.
  20. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:38 AM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    wow... damn.... that was eye opening. everything is setup to be used against you; even if you are totally innocent.

21. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    Conversely, It also doesn’t mean they aren’t headed to 7-11.

The sirens and lights are there as safety measures to help prevent accidents in the event that an officer is in a situation requiring a deviation from norms.
    I find it especially interesting that the police can, and do, lie to you to get what they want but if you lie to them you’re in trouble. The system is irreparably broken and it’s unfortunate.

22. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    Is there a certain amount of public urination that they will allow before arresting the OP for that?

Maybe that's why the officer jacked up the speeding, to avoid giving him an Indecent Exposure or Public Urination ticket. Which would go on more than your driving record.

There are more to lights and sirens than that. I won't get it into it on an internet forum if you don't already know why they use them sometimes and not others.

He confessed to speeding and exposing himself in public and urinating? That is not up for debate. The way I see it, he broke the Criminal Code and HTA, why is this even a thread?

23. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:53 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Couple years ago I had a rental Corolla driving from Houston to San Antonio. It would do 90 but it definitely wasn't fun to drive at 90, super twitchy steering and blown all over if you got close to an 18 wheeler.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  24. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    CourtJester

CourtJester [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro, 2015 Tacoma
    I give up. Why?

25. Mar 8, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    Funnyguy713

Funnyguy713 I can't get Jiggy with this Sh!t

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 1794 4x4
    35s on 20s with 6" Pro Comp
  26. Mar 8, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I always knew when I was running from the cops.

27. Mar 8, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Interesting. I was just Googling and it seems like the Constitution also protects the rights of visitors. So if I'm ever traveling in the US and get pulled over for some reason, keep my mouth shut.

28. Mar 9, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    CourtJester

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I called several attorneys yesterday afternoon. One was one of the prosecutors and the other is the child case judge and couldn't represent me, but both recommended the same guy so I went with him. I should hear back tomorrow.

I'm guessing that if he knew dead to rights that it was me, he would have arrested me. But who knows. We'll see what happens.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  29. Mar 9, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    rockmup

rockmup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's

Did you call the court at all ? Many times they can do what you need done, no need for a lawyer. You're going to pay something, no getting around that. You can however make it a non moving violation

30. Mar 9, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    CourtJester

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    The courthouse doesn't have the paperwork on it yet. They said it could be a week or so before they receive anything.

ryanwgregg and rockmup[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top