1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone running GTR 3rd generation LED headlight bulbs ?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by JP711, May 20, 2017.

1. May 20, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    JP711

JP711 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 1794
    Researching upgrades to my OEM 2017 Tundra headlights and not interested
    in wiring balast and relay etc wiring with HID conversion, the LED 2nd and now
    3rd gen from GTR lighting conversion kit (one supplier example) has 6000 lumens
    or approx 6 times brighter than the stock H4 lighting supplied.

Wondering what feedback from users with LED as the high beam just adds 4 more
    lights on to equal 8 as the HID highs put out a truer beam increase.

In summary just wanted feedback from anyone that is happy or unhappy with changing
    to anything over OEM stock. Thanks

2. May 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    I have the 2nd gen GTR LED's headlights and fog lights. The difference from the 2nd to 3rd gen is they have focused the beam pattern with a better cutoff...according to them and they are a couple hundred lumen brighter then the 2nd gen. The 2nd gen ones are bright but they are not that great in fog or rain at night time. In fog you can see how scattered the beam pattern is. Again 3rd gen is supposed to be better but i can't say that for sure.
    I am assuming that you were looking at them on Headlight Revolution. They just did a LED torture test/output video on you tube. Maybe check that out and see what you think.

If thats where you are looking at them i would STRONGLY advise that you don't purchase any other bulbs from them for your truck. I bought their switchback kit and in two years have had to replace 5 bulbs. Now i will say that when and if you do get a hold of them for a replacement they will send you one but for what they charge for them it should include a free set of spares. Also had the dome light led's and one of those burned out in two weeks. VLEDS are brighter, cheaper...and so far last way longer.

3. May 20, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    r4z0r51o

r4z0r51o have fallen off the forum, but I’m still alive.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northeast San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Sky Metallic Crewmax 5.7L TRD 4x4
    22x12”HostileRage/33”NittoRidgeGrap/StealthFighter/FOX-BDS
    I have some experience with both HR and VLeds and I've had issues with both. My Vleds switchback worked great for a couple of months and then the bulbs started acting up (not switching or just not working) replacements arrived and one bulb didn't work correctly from the start. I ended up pulling the kit and it's now just sitting in my garage As for HR, I've had one of my parking lamps stop working and I returned my GTR headlights bulbs before installing them as I heard that our OEM housings would throw the light all over the place. Retros are the best way to go!

4. May 21, 2017 at 1:54 AM
    JP711

JP711 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 1794
    Super appreciate both of your comments/feedback. My close friend at our automotive body shop advised me not to muck with aftermarket headlights
    period and wait a few months until the 2018 Projector OEM whole assembly is out and get it through him at the shop. Thanks for the advice Dave and
    George. A lot of guys have had good luck with Spyder's I do read. (whole housing etc)

r4z0r51o likes this.
  5. May 21, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    r4z0r51o

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    You're quite welcome! Good luck and look forward to seeing how the 2018 projector might workout for you. Spyders are nice (I've had those too) but I prefer my retros over them.

6. May 21, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    I would love some retro's now. I bought my led's way before i got on here and read all the threads about retro's. I almost bought some Spyders since they have a projector housing but stopped when i realized i would need to order another set of Led's in a different size to make them work. That would have been close to a budget set of retro's.
    My ideal setup when i have the money is Retro's and Baja designs Squadron lights as my fog lights....but thats really far down on my list of wants/needs.

Also i just noticed i missed the high beam low beam numbers. Mine are just barely brighter in high then low. It just kicks off my fog lights when i have to flash other drivers. Another feature i liked about the GTR's was the color shields. I started with 4300k for fogs then got tired of it just took them out and replaced the shields with the 6000k ones and now they match my headlights.

OP the new housings and some led's seam like a great option. i may be interested in that route as well once parts are available.

r4z0r51o[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. May 21, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    r4z0r51o

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    I've got the GTR fogs too, but feel that the pattern of light is more like a flood light than fog. The reflectors seem to throw too much light upward ... not what one would hope for in the fog.

Products Discussed in

To Top