1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone not like the 2018 safety features?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Robster80, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Oct 16, 2018 at 6:19 PM
    Heeler13

Heeler13 21MGM

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sr5 XP
    Bilstein 5100 Front @ middle setting Bilstein 5100 Rear @ stock height Oem older Pro wheels 285/75/18 Maxxis Razr a/t
    Lifting/leveling is fine on 2018 and 2019 Tundras. You just can't have over about a 1 1/2 inch difference in front to back...basically you need to keep a very small forward rake so your safety stuff doesnt misread.

Im not fond of the lane dep assist, been turned off since day one. Pre-collison stuff isnt terrible, i just keep it on sensitve setting.. Now the adaptive radar is the biggest HATE i have. Absolutely annoying imo.

2. Oct 16, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    Philly Tundra

Philly Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tre
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Debadged chrome Color matched side mirror door handles Swap chrome grill for color match platinum honeycomb
    I had an 08 which i miss so much (spent $26k for crewcab) i got an "18 crewmax limited for $46k and yes I've def had problems....
    Got it in Feb for 1st few months radar constantly didnt work (pretty sure it had to do with temperature/as well as hard rain/sleet, but stopped working often even with no rain/sleet). I was pretty annoyed.
    Once it warmed up a bit started working consistently...I've had a few flakey BRAKE warnings come on (maybe 1 a month) but it also helped me a few times so to me thats a wash.
    The adaptive cruise is well worth the TSS problems so far...love it!
    Its about to get cold here again so my guess is the whole system will stop working again but i think i saw there is another "airbag" recall which is toyota code for software issue so I'll take it in and hopefully the system will work this winter.
    But to answer your question yes after spending $46k initially (especially since it was winter) i was pretty pissed. I dont think I'd recommend not buying it because of that though.

3. Oct 16, 2018 at 9:55 PM
    Hoologan

Hoologan New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement Limited Crewmax TRD
    I haven't had any problems except for two false pre-collision warnings in 18,000 miles. The truck beeped at me. Big deal. It does not "lock up the brakes" as one poster claimed.

Radar cruise is awesome.
    LDA stays turned off unless I've had a couple of beers. :cheers:

I'm leveled (3.5"/1.5" dead level) so the false information about requiring 1.5" rake is also false.

4. Oct 16, 2018 at 10:25 PM
    Field Walker

Field Walker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I am 3k into mine. No problems on anything. I’d go for it..... No buyers remorse whatsoever.

5. Oct 17, 2018 at 12:35 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    All these added ”nannyfied safety features” did was let Toyota increase the price of the new Tundras...so for this reason I don’t like.

My paid off 2014 Platinum CM has gotten me everywhere I want to go very safely since I purchased it new.:D

FWIW...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  6. Oct 17, 2018 at 5:24 AM
    BigdaddyII

BigdaddyII New Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 1500
    I never said it "locked" up the brakes. I only said it stopped the truck.....like now. And yes it will do that, and it did do it to me. Just because it hasn't happened to you does not mean it's not going to happen to anyone else. Yes the system will apply the brakes for you if it seems necassary, even tells about it in the encylopedia with the amount of braking pressure it will use......"a large amount". Not trying to argue sir, but making my experience seem ridiculous because it hasn't happened to you does not mean that it doesnt happen.

Screenshot_20181017-071741_Dropbox.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Vizsla likes this.
  7. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I like the technology, my insurance is 1/2 the price vs. my 16, but also understand the limitations. It would be wise if you do not care for the safety features to buy an older Tundra, you don’t want to explain in a court room and to your insurance carrier why you had your safety system turned off in an accident(defaults on every start for a reason). The system is continuously recording data, but when you see the brake warning the camera also starts recording. This is Toyota’s property, mostly for use in lawsuits. As far as the actual braking, had no idea a big ass truck could stop so fast, violent best describes it.
    FA5748AF-F291-490E-9B4E-ADF971E3CCB9.jpg

BigdaddyII likes this.
  8. Oct 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    That's the first I've heard that the new Tundras record video, among other factors. No thank you.

Vizsla[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 17, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    L3TT3RS

L3TT3RS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra
    Fox/Total Chaos/Coachbuilder
    I've only got 1k miles on my truck but have had 3 false alarms for pics. I dont use lane departure nor do I use radar cruise. I dont find it to be a nuisance tho

10. Oct 17, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    I have had zero issues with the safety features. I turned a lot of them off (lane departure, parking sensors, and cross traffic alerts), but I do turn them on in times of need. Like when I am driving in tight spots I turn on parking sensors so I dont scrape my beautiful tundra. I had the braking alarm go off but I turned down the sensor distance. I see no issues with them. I would buy my truck again tomorrow

Vizsla likes this.
  11. Oct 17, 2018 at 4:45 PM
    Hoologan

Hoologan New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement Limited Crewmax TRD
    I must have misread that then.

Mine only beeped at me when it “malfunctioned” (happened twice), but did apply the brakes when I was actually about to rear end someone, which I was thankful for.

Vizsla likes this.
  12. Oct 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    BigdaddyII

BigdaddyII New Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 1500
    Tis sarcasm man lol. When I posted about my experience specifically I said the truck stopped In a hurry. I was still sour and was being sarcastic in the post you quoted. Of course a truck with anti lock brakes wouldn't lock the brakes up on it's own, but the effect it brings when it does decide to brake for you certainly gets your attention.....to the point that I gave it the benefit of the doubt at first thinking I maybe didn't see something. I still don't know what it read when it acted out or why, and it has never done it again so hopefully it was a one off event because we seem to get along fine when its acting right.

Vizsla likes this.
  13. Oct 17, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Your not far off with the locking up description. I wasn’t locked up, but the tires were screaming regardless. I could never stop that truck that fast on my own, maybe 1/2 as fast.

BigdaddyII[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 17, 2018 at 5:14 PM
    BigdaddyII

BigdaddyII New Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 1500
    It was a scary experience for sure. The adaptive cruise gets you slowed down pretty aggressively as well. Feels like you're in a semi with all the downshifting .

15. Nov 6, 2018 at 4:06 AM
    Dephased

Dephased New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue SR5
    In my first 700 miles I have seen the PCWS twice. Once incredibly briefly, I saw the screen go orange for an instant and I didn't know what it was and a second time this morning when it beeped and stayed steady orange and read "BRAKE" but did not assist or anything. In both cases there was nothing ahead even close. I have adjusted the sensitivity to medium and will monitor it from here. I think these features are great if they work as intended.
    On a related note, I inquired with a dealer certified 2nd party installer about upgrading certain things up front, mostly lighting and such. He notified me in no uncertain terms that making ANY modifications up around the grill ie. amber lights or other LED additions would cause Toyota to not honor the warranty on any malfunction to the factory installed array of safety features. Even if it was installed by their certified installer. He basically said he wouldn't do it. Has anyone else had similar experience or done any upfront mods and how has that worked out for you?

16. Nov 6, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    Ok, so that camera is recording. I wonder how long it saves info for? I also wonder if I can have the info replayed should I be in an accident and need it to show I wasn't at fault?

17. Nov 17, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    parallax

parallax Professional Zamboni stunt driver

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Crewmax SR5 5.7 TRD 4x4
    Dash camera
    My pre collision turns off randomly. Is that normal ? Where is the sensor. Maybe there is a bug stuck to it

18. Nov 17, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    Highly doubt you can access the data. That's for Toyota's benefit, not yours. Because of that, the msrp should have lowered.

There are plenty of options to add your own dash camera that YOU have control over.

19. Nov 17, 2018 at 12:35 PM
    tundraforme

tundraforme New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Em
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Off Road Quicksand
    the lane departure drives me insane so gets turned off (unless I'm on the highway for a long time)

haven't used the parking assist at all

I've not had it brake for me yet - but I know it has happened to a couple friends when there was nothing on the road in front of them, so that is concerning

I do think that we should be able to fully disable it until all the bugs are worked out

20. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:41 AM
    rsgt

rsgt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 crew cab TRD sport 4x4
    all stock
    I have every bell and whistle turned on and operating. 2019 trd sport love the technology !

757TUNDRA likes this.
  21. Nov 18, 2018 at 3:20 AM
    mgxsequioa

mgxsequioa New Member

Member:
    :mad::)Took my kid driving in a big parking lot today for the first time and all the features removed the need for the lane position conversation as well as proximity to other objects when parking.

Not sure she’ll be driving this often, but great opportunity for her to get feedback while I can remain positive, supportive and answer questions.

She was excited that she has now driven it more than my wife.

22. Nov 18, 2018 at 4:45 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    My only grief with tss is that the front bumper needs 2 more sensors towards the middle. To aid in parking closer to a low object.

Cant shy away and not buy a new car because of some feature. Many moons ago people would say they would never own a car with seatbelts. Well no car comes without them these days, and you cant buy a brand new 1975 anything.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  23. Nov 18, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    I agree, the "parking assist" should be a lot more sophisticated. A beeper warning does not tell me how close I am to whatever is causing the sensor to beep. I still have to get out to see how much farther I can go into the parking space making the "assist" essentially worthless. I would really want distance readouts (probably way too expensive) but the current system doesn't help me much.

If I had a cast iron front bumper I wouldn't care if I bumped the light pole or fence post. But I have color matching front bumper parts and I can't use those for "curb feelers".

Dan

24. Nov 18, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    PA452

PA452 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    The beeps get faster as you get closer until it's a solid tone. I think it's a pretty decent system and like that feature a lot.

Since I last posted in this thread I've had the PCS "Brake" alert come up once. There was a car ahead of me that was turning and I continued my approach at pretty much the same speed expecting it was going to be out of the way by the time I got there. And it was. It didn't try to brake for me though, only gave me a warning and I think it was a fair call on its part. Still don't feel the need for it and it hasn't been an obtrusive problem yet at all.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  25. Nov 18, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    Interesting, I never worked it to see that part of the feature. Now I need to do some experiments in my driveway to see exactly how this works. I may turn it back on after this...

Dan

757TUNDRA and ardnutoz like this.
  26. Nov 18, 2018 at 10:51 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    Have somebody walk in front of the sensor or just stand at the bumper near the sensor and walk backwards. You will see it go ape shit and slow down the further away they move.

Your mfd will change too.. i believe amber to yellow depending on range and location on bumper

27. Dec 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    I know I'm bumping an old thread but I gotta tell ya.
    Roadtrip to from Upstate SC to Memphis by way of Atlanta, Birmingham, Tupelo (thank you very much) all through this Winter Storm Diego. Only saw heavy rain the whole way, wind, cold but nothing frozen at all.
    This Cruise Control thing kept turning off because the sensor was dirty. I i could acknowledge the message but the sensor stayed disabled and I could not set cruise again. It was a PITA to say the least. Sometimes it would clear and allow me to hit cruise again but 3 times I had to stop and wipe water off the T emblem (hope that's where the damn sensor is). But it was crazy, 4-5 times it did this.

What are our options on this? A little wiper on the sensor?

Is there any other way to reset the sensor while going down the road?

28. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    I posted this in another thread, but I'll cut and paste it here for you. You won't need to worry about the sensor if you want to use cruise control:

If you want to use cruise control while the light is on, I figured out how you can. Normally, when the light is on and you try to set cruise, it gives you the "radar ready" message, then when you lower the lever to set the speed, it fails to engage because the radar is unavailable. Next time, press and hold the cruise control button, and after a couple of seconds, the "radar ready" message goes away, and you'll be able to use regular, non-radar cruise control.

29. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    clean off sensor and apply carwax. this should help but it depends on the amount of rain and size of the wake splash from the cars ahead of you. I've found that doubling following distance yields a better result. I'm sure they will figure this out soon enough. technically speaking cruise shouldn't be used during rain, I wish we could engage at 25mph for when traffic is crawling.

30. Dec 9, 2018 at 4:56 AM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    1: never tow with cruse control on
    2: never use cruse control in inclement weather
    3:never use TSS as a crutch for driving intoxicated
    If you actually use these systems and they're working correctly, then it probably means your not the greatest driver and need them.
    Just my o2 but, for the new truck driving snowflakes on the road these new safety features will make driving safer for all of us.

Products Discussed in

To Top