1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any tricks for dealing with health insurance?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by teedubbya, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Feb 17, 2020 at 1:22 PM
    teedubbya

teedubbya [OP] I like fat booty

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo 4runner
    Went to the hospital back in September for something minor. They did X-ray, labs and that was about it. Out in an hour and a half.

my insurance is decent, but I have a 3k deductible I can’t do anything about.

bills coming back, $700 (double that before insurance adjustment) billed by the doctor then another $5k+ billed by hospital ($800 owed on my part)

So all in all I owe around $1500 out of my pocket. I’m pretty pissed.

2. Feb 17, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Where's my popcorn salt? Damnit

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blaaaaack, 5.7L DC Limited TRD 4X4
    Zone UCA's, Fat Bob's Vated, Pro Form Fab shackles, Patagonia M/T's, Ranch Hand Grill Guard, RC steps, SDHQ AIP relocation kit, RetraxONE MX, Jomax ABS armor
    I always opt for the low deductible PPO plan at work since it's just me. Costs more but no BS. $300 deductible. Our company puts in $500 in HSA accounts for the folks that opt for the hi deductible plans. Monies not used roll over each year since it's effectively your money. Helps offset hi deductibles.

3. Feb 17, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    teedubbya

teedubbya [OP] I like fat booty

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo 4runner
    like I said, I can’t do anything about that.
    It’s just perplexing to me. Previous insurance was like a $100 copay for ER visits.

4. Feb 17, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    jeffw6236

jeffw6236 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM CrewMax 4x4
    DiamondBack HD Katzkin
    Its confusing. bad thing is once you get past open enrollment it's a year before you can change it. Max out your HSA if you can - I do that and usually roll over enough to help with deductibles each year. Also, urgent care clinics are usually cheaper than emergency rooms.

5. Feb 17, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC tundra lame-o 2wd
    Sounds like you used to have an hmo and now have a high deductible ppo.

My work did the same thing. It’s a tough pill to swallow right now, but even with the higher out of pocket for services, we have still spent less over the last 3 years than we previously spent to buy the hmo option.

Sorry to hear you have to pay, but if you had the hmo still, they may have been taking that 1500 out of your check slowly anyways.

I like the ppo thing because it forces us to not go to the dr when we dont really need to

jtwags likes this.
  6. Feb 17, 2020 at 2:01 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I wish I could help, but I haven't had health insurance since Obamacare dropped me after raising my deductible to $12,000.

7. Feb 17, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    RLHOK

RLHOK Keeper of the smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, just like the musical, but no singing
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 TSS of road crew max cement.
    No longer rolling stock baby....
    I feel your pain.
    Last two years we have lost our ER deductible, now its a flat 30%, that 6 hours in 2018 I spent in the ER and cat scan for that damn kidney stone back then cost me $800 total. Now that bill would be $2000 my part.
    My PCP costs are now $45 per visit and no out of network options, go out of network you pay 100% of all bills.

8. Feb 17, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    I have a $2000 individual and $4000 family max deductble so every year I make sure I have $4K in my HSA to cover my maximum OOP. Yes, I'm still paying it but having it aside seems to lessen the sting and I get a little tax relief from it. Other that that...a couple emergency surgeries in the last 3 years and two out of three of those years I've paid the maximum amount of $4K per year.

Black Wolf likes this.
  9. Apr 13, 2020 at 4:27 AM
    mrmachinist

mrmachinist New Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    6112/5100 shocks, 1” lift shackles, Tuff Country UCA, B&W gooseneck hitch, firestone airbags w/ daystar cradles, RB-10 running boards, front receiver hitch, winch wiring front and rear.
    I’m sure you have gone over your EOBs but be sure the bill amounts match up.

I’m currently fighting an 11k charge that was for “convenience items” that insurance won’t cover while my wife was in the hospital. And I have a 500 deductible 2k out of pocket max....

10. Apr 13, 2020 at 4:59 AM
    RollTide82

RollTide82 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 4x4
    And all these asshats that go to the ER and don't pay a dime......I work for a hospital and I won't go to the ER unless I am half dead cause my co-pays are so high even as an employee...I am not a freeloader but damn its crazy

mrmachinist likes this.
  11. Apr 13, 2020 at 5:52 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    I think COVID is proving our high cost health care is no better and perhaps worse in so many ways than all other developed nations of the world, Great.

12. Apr 13, 2020 at 5:55 AM
    Kung

Kung Not so FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    FLW, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray, N-Fab Steps
    This. 100% this; additionally, make sure you read the manual that comes out every year that explains all your coverages. I'm blessed to have pretty damn good insurance ($350/month premium, $350 deductible per person, $700 per family; 15% paid out of pocket, etc.), but even still, we'll catch them several times a year 'accidentally' not covering something that it clearly says is covered in the manual. Most stuff is small but some stuff has been fairly large.

mrmachinist likes this.
  13. Apr 13, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    If you think insurance is bad to deal with for the consumer, try participating with them as a provider. They do everything possible to not pay legitimate claims and to try and make any issue be between you and the patient when it's not...the contract is between the patient and the insurance company. Why didn't my insurance cover whatever? I don't know dude, your guess is as good as mine but I don't decide what they do or don't pay.

14. Apr 15, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    mcm0455

mcm0455 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    Health insurance premiums are difficult to deal with. We moved from Utah to rural Colorado two years ago and my premiums tripled. But my property taxes are 1/2 and my chronic bronchitis went away with the clean air. But then vehicles registration is 2x in Colorado. Someone has to pay for the Front Range projects.
    But I really cannot complain. When my son was born at 26 weeks, 15 years ago, my wife had insurance through the state of New Mexico. The first month at the NICU was over 1 million, for a total of 3 million for three months. We ended up paying $1000. It is unfortunate that medical bills are often the cause for wrecking so many peoples financial well being.

Products Discussed in

To Top