1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any thoughts regarding a "break-in" period

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Demar002, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Nov 16, 2021 at 3:57 AM
    Demar002

Demar002 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra
    I am scheduled to pick up my Tundra - December 13th. I am about 450 miles away. I am guessing I cant just get in it and drive 6 hours straight at 75 MPH. Is there any break-in period - Any advice.

Thanks
    F

2. Nov 16, 2021 at 4:07 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Yes, there is. Your manual will cover it in detail. I can say that driving at one speed for long periods of time is mentioned as a no-no. Hard braking is also not recommended. I'm pretty good about following recommendations regarding break in and have been rewarded with long life and little oil consumption.

Metro14536, Oey12, gosolo and 2 others like this.
  3. Nov 16, 2021 at 4:08 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    The manual is online and should say what to do. My 2018 said something about NOT going a constant speed for a long time. Maybe mix highway and backroads with a lot of stops.

gosolo and Black Wolf like this.
  4. Nov 16, 2021 at 4:20 AM
    Demar002

Demar002 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra
    Thank you Both. I found the manual - Thanks again. Here is what it said specifically - (I did find it interesting that to prevent damage to the turbo chargers you should allow the engine to idle after high speed driving. I guess I will be shutting the auto stop off after highway driving). They define high speed driving at 50mph. So am guessing extremely high speeds being 75-80.

■ Breaking in your new Toyota To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

●For the first 200 miles (300 km): Avoid sudden stops.
    ●For the first 500 miles (800 km):Do not tow a trailer.
    ●For the first 1000 miles (1600 km): • Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
    • Avoid sudden acceleration.
    • Do not drive continuously in low gears.
    • Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.
    • High-speed driving (Constant speed of approx. 50 mph [80 km/h])
    To prevent damage to the turbo- charger, allow the engine to idle immediately after high-speed driving or hill climbing.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  5. Nov 16, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I wonder if Toyota included an after shut off turbo cooler. My 124 Abarth has a small electric pump that circulates coolant through the turbo for a few minutes after I shut the engine down. Nice feature.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  6. Nov 16, 2021 at 5:26 AM
    ArcticEd

ArcticEd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    '24 Plat Hybrid Crewmax 6.5 CSM
    No hard braking and no towing for the first bit - that's fine. I don't know that I could drive 50 or under for the first 1k anywhere around my house - nothing but highways where driving 50 would be dangerous. Have to get on interstate to go anywhere.

snivilous and 1UP like this.
  7. Nov 16, 2021 at 5:29 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Sometimes I wonder if that ridiculously slow speed was added by legal just to get the new driver used to the vehicle.

Hoff likes this.
  8. Nov 16, 2021 at 5:36 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    It has something to do with letting them run at idle to cool down before shutting them off completely. Like @Retired...finally said, some manufacturers make theirs run a little after shutoff. I don’t think anyone knows if the new tundra does it yet.

9. Nov 16, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    I would think Toyota has this feature too. Afterall, FIAT, the crappiest of automakers do.

10. Nov 16, 2021 at 6:42 AM
    Larly5000

Larly5000 Local Scumbag

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Crewmax
    Did a burnout out of the dealership and towed my boat within the first 50 miles.

200k miles later, never even had a CEL pop up.

Get er up to operating temps and drive normal. Some of those “procedures” are absolutely f’ing ludicrous (high speed being over 50:rolleyes:)

stanky, RavingOx, Leo's first and 5 others like this.
  11. Nov 16, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I would totally not listen to the Toyota engineers that are the number one selling auto manufacturer in the world. Instead I would listen to the sound advice on this forum of “screw it” and roll the dice.

If you didn’t get it…a little sarcasm in that comment.

12. Nov 16, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    Demar002

Demar002 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra
    Now that made me laugh.

TK1979, gosolo and ColoradoTJ like this.
  13. Nov 16, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    SnowRunnerTundra

SnowRunnerTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
    highway driving is okay, you can even stay at 75 mph constant, but make sure you upshift and downshift so that the engine RPM varies even holding the speed constant, you have so many gears to play with so I'm sure 2k-4k RPM range you can hit

also, do not go over 100 mph, your diff, transfer case during break-in will shed a ton of metal the fluids will get super hot, going too fast can potentially overheat the fluid especially if you do it for hours on the highway. Also, I'd swap out the diff and transfer case fluid after 5k miles just to get ride of the break-in fluids

Acedude and BecauseRacecar like this.
  14. Nov 16, 2021 at 8:21 AM
    BecauseRacecar

BecauseRacecar New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4 Magnetic Gray
    That's funny language in the manual about cooling down the turbos. Pretty old school design issues. The issue of coking a turbo is real and the warning should be heeded, but I'm guessing they simply mean don't pull off at a highway rest stop and immediately shut off the engine, give it maybe 15-30 seconds of idle. If you're towing, maybe give it a little longer.

In regards to break-in, basically just avoid using cruise control on your highway trip and you'll be fine. The big thing with engine break-in is 1) they're already broken in from the factory, and 2) you're trying to get the piston rings to wear correctly. Engine braking and moderate boost below 4k rpm when you can for the first few hundred miles is probably all you'll need.

15. Nov 16, 2021 at 2:07 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Someone should try the same break in process used for a Diesel engine made to pull. Then compare it to the typical car manual for break in. I’d love to see a tear down immediately after break in procedure variations to see what actually happens.

Guys who build diesels for class 8 trucks make sure it’s pulling a load and building high cylinder pressures as soon as possible to seat the piston rings properly. They really really don’t want to see the engine get much run time under light loads. Then again often times the freshened rebuilt/re-sleeved engine is going in front of a driveline that is well broken in.

snivilous and ColoradoTJ like this.
  16. Nov 16, 2021 at 2:12 PM
    Audiolust

Audiolust New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    Absolutely change out your oil around 500-1000 miles. With conventional oil again. Run it normal till your next interval and then put in full synthetic. Regular oil is important for break-in, the early change after 500-1000 miles removes any additional shavings. Cheap insurance. You need to let the vehicle get a few K's under its belt before switching the the super slippery synthetics.

Dr Doobie likes this.
  17. Nov 16, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  18. Nov 16, 2021 at 2:55 PM
    FO LO

FO LO New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 CM w/ 5.7 and 4.30s
    toyota service told me they wouldnt worry about it and that the important break in is done is done at the factory.

if you called the folks that made the trans or diffs and such they would probably tell you different than whats in the manual anyway. Like you should change your diff fluid at first 500 miles and that you need to only drive a few miles at slow speeds stop and turn it off let it cool down but toyota isnt going to tell you that. No telling about the trans... I dont worry with any of it anymore. Last tundra i bought I had a bay boat with me when i picked it up...

stanky and matthinkle like this.
  19. Nov 16, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    I observed no break in period at all with my Tundra back in 2007 either. Just put gas in and drive it.

It's a mass produced truck engine made to run on 87 Octane fuel with a redline of like 6,000 RPM and useable power from 1,600 RPM to 5,200 RPM with very little time north of 4,000 RPM because there's usually no need. If this were a hand built fully balanced, blue printed high strung race engine that will spin to 8,500 RPM, and will spend all of its time north of 4,000 RPM I can see a valid need for a careful break in period to properly seat all the bearing surfaces, piston rings, and valve seats that will need to be as close to perfection as possible to survive those kinds of piston speeds, and internal friction loads.

Not trying to disparage the precision, tolerances, or clearances on the 3UR-FE or the V35A-FTS but I highly doubt they're race motor tight and why would they be? That is the opposite of what you probably want in a utilitarian workhorse engine. I have no doubt the precision of manufacturing is such that tolerances are super super tight from part to part in production, like so close from part to part that they will all interchange with no additional machining needed to fall within tolerance minimums or maximums 100% of the time. Toyota has a reputation for reliability because they make really really good consistent parts over and over and over again from good consistent materials, or have their suppliers do so consistently. That said the actual oil clearances for bearings, and things like that are probably fairly generous to allow the occasional use of a higher viscosity motor oil to be used, or to allow different markets with different climates to spec a slightly different grade of oil, so clearances aren't so tight that if you run 10W-40 in your engine that calls for 0W-20 you won't spin a bearing due to oil starvation at the bearings because they don't have adequate oil clearance for that grade of oil. Similarly I don't think you are going to find any other parts in the engine that need special treatment for the first 500 miles. There aren't any more flat tappet lifters or followers riding on cam lobes in the vast majority of modern engines, and certainly not on the V35A-FTS so no worries there. The piston rings are about the only thing that I can think of that could benefit from some attention, and honestly piston rings made for a boosted application are not going to seat properly if they're babied all the damn time.

Put good quality fuel in your new Tundra, and drive it. If it gives you a warm and fuzzy to drop all the fluids at 500 miles it sure as hell won't hurt anything and it's a great opportunity to install a Fumoto drain valve etc with everything is still nice and clean under there. That is more or less my plan.

theripper and Larly5000 like this.
  20. Nov 16, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD

That would be an interesting test. Pretty expensive though.

For light duty diesels, the break in procedure is very similar. The engine is tested on a dyno at the engine factory (early load) to ensure engine performs properly.

My Duramax was similar to most trucks.

31A0EFD7-443F-4E5C-9F3C-1BC4E4DE69D2.jpg

There was a section on the first 500 miles of towing to not exceed 50 mph, but I didn’t feel like going through a huge stack of operational manuals again. This is ridiculous.
    CF50280C-CBE9-43D3-8019-1946B77677CB.jpg

TTund16 likes this.
  21. Nov 16, 2021 at 4:18 PM
    Totherion

Totherion New Member

Member:
    I'd stay pretty close to what the manual says.

Or ask the dealer what they recommend when you pick it up.

I'd cap it at 55 and gently ride it home.

Retired...finally likes this.
  22. Nov 16, 2021 at 5:20 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The engine would be a concern, but pretty low on my concerns when it comes to breaking in a new truck.

My 2012 Tundra was purchased used with 4004 miles on it in 2013. It was 8 months old, so I could say it wasn’t used a lot. Drained all drivetrain fluids by 5000 miles and did another short drivetrain break in under load. I will say this, after I had an alignment shop change my toe in to the low limits of spec (6* on each, total toe 12*) the truck did really good on fuel economy. Even towing I was getting better than most on here with similar weights. I really seen first hand how good the truck was after I had the front differential changed out around 60k miles. The best I could do empty and on the freeway was 14 mpg where as before 18-19.5 was pretty normal. Towing was horrible. Not sure if something was wrong with the new front differential, but at 89k I let the truck go.

On my current 1 ton, I followed the break in procedure to the letter and my truck has always done pretty good on the fuel economy. This month on the 6th I took a little 173 mile trip through the mountains to grandmas house. We had some city driving, so it wasn’t all freeway. This has been pretty typical MPG for the 71k miles when empty.
    026F2C4C-E19E-4449-9678-77C38EDA52BD.jpg 0EAED6F9-873E-40D7-B6A2-7186EFD569CA.jpg

Breaking in the drivetrain can have long term benefits for economy, not just reliability.

ryanwgregg and TK1979 like this.
  23. Nov 16, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    Larly5000

Larly5000 Local Scumbag

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Crewmax
    100%

24. Nov 17, 2021 at 4:04 AM
    Hadelson

Hadelson New Member

Member:
    Allentown - Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra TRD Pro. Fun Ride 2019 RS3 Roush SC Mustang
    We picked up a Camry with the 3.5L engine on Friday and left Saturday for 850mile trip. No Issues. Slow acceleration, no hard breaking, no set speed for long periods of time. I did cycle the trans a lot down from OD varying engine speed. Never an issue as long as we owned car.

Good luck

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    TK1979 likes this.
  25. Nov 17, 2021 at 4:13 AM
    Hadelson

Hadelson New Member

Member:
    Allentown - Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra TRD Pro. Fun Ride 2019 RS3 Roush SC Mustang
    Exactly. My fun ride is an RS3 running 12lbs of boast with 750 Crank HP and 660HP at the wheel. Drove this 500 miles following break-in. No issues.

TK1979 likes this.
  26. Nov 17, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    matthinkle

matthinkle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Hybrid
    My understanding is that break in periods were from back in the day when machining and production methods weren't nearly as good. It honestly surprised me to see this thread.

TK1979 likes this.
  27. Nov 21, 2021 at 3:13 PM
    GaryC

GaryC New Member

Member:
    A good portion of the break in recommendations are for the gears in the drivetrain, not the engine itself.

Rodbolt likes this.
  28. Dec 20, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
  29. Dec 20, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    ArcticEd

ArcticEd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    '24 Plat Hybrid Crewmax 6.5 CSM
    There's nowhere I could drive under 65 for 500-1000 miles in my area unless I just drove back and forth to the corner store for 6 or 7 hours. I'd have to go 75 or so to get home from the dealer though.

Not questioning his knowledge or expertise, and thanks for sharing the video. It just seems like between this one and his transmission video the best way to extend the life of your vehicle is not to use it.

30. Dec 20, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Not saying there isn't merit to breaking in a new car but the more I read or see or hear on the subject I can't help thinking some of this is just to help with the new owner become familiar with their new car preventing accidents.

stanky likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top