1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any realtors on here ? Am I being unrealistic in expectations of service ??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Shamrock92, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Jan 25, 2023 at 11:18 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I think the difference on the referrals would be don't ask someone if they know a realtor. That's when you get their family or acquaintances. Ask who they use. If they haven't bought a house in 30 years, ask someone else.

2mchfun and PermaFrostTRD like this.
  2. Jan 25, 2023 at 11:53 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior
    why settle for less than if you know what you're appraised at?

3. Jan 25, 2023 at 12:24 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    This is one in a list of many examples of assessment doesn't always equal market value.

4. Jan 26, 2023 at 4:48 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    So - in respect to the “call the listing agent” (dual agent) suggestion - here is a great reason NOT to go that route:

A house popped up yesterday - interesting enough that we wanted to see it quickly. Have a family member who could go on our behalf to n the next day or 2 - so contacted the listing agent for a showing. Get the following reply:

“I maybe can show it - but you won’t get it. I have another client who wants to make an offer and they’ve been looking for a while. I’m going to push their offer over anything else”.

So basically just admitted they would favor a client they have been assisting before me (without even knowing my offer - if any) and even screwing over the seller (not soliciting all offers and presenting them to the seller - who they also represent). Also have no doubt if my offer were higher - they would tip the other buyer to raise their offer.

Clearly the realtor is trying to bank a double commission and favoring a client who has been looking for a while and hasn’t found what they want. I mean - they look at it like 3% of an addition 20k (best case possible on a higher offer from someone not using them as buyer agent) is far less than 6% of the entire sale at a lower price - and bonus you get rid of a client who likely is getting wary of not finding anything or winning bidding wars.

Hope this new realtor works out - and glad I didn’t waste their time on this house. Clearly dealing with some shady operators- and it gets old quickly. Kinda want to just tip the seller with the message I got from their realtor. I’m f it were my home - I’d be pissed. The realtors job is to MAXIMIZE MY TAKE - not theirs. Let me decide who to sell to and which is the “best” offer.

Dealt with this a few years ago - wound up taking a grand less because the young couple wanted the home clearly and were prepared. Had 6 offers - first 2 were cash and when it came down to it - they were playing a game - made stupid offers then tried to “renegotiate” after accepted. Fortunately - after dealing with the first 2 idiots - the remaining bidders remained interested and we made a deal with one of them. Have a feeling though the market is not quite as strong these days. If someone brought me only 1 offer - and then it failed (as 10% do under best of times - that can easily hit 15-20% in less seller friendly markets or when valuations can’t keep up with prices on financed homes). I’d be pissed - nothing like wasting 2-3 weeks on a buyer without ability to follow through (or who bids high to get it and tries to “renegotiate”. Ohio is wrong in that any “good faith” money put forward with an offer is fully refundable if the deal falls through. Wish they were like NC in that respect - you bid and win and if it falls through due to YOUR inability to buy - seller keeps it. That cuts down on alot of the games buyers play - funny how risking and losing a few grand keeps people honest.

PermaFrostTRD and 2mchfun like this.
  5. Jan 26, 2023 at 8:19 AM
    TexasTacoma713

TexasTacoma713 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5
    A licensed realtor has a legal obligation to present their client all written offers… That’s how it is in here Texas.

If you are serious have your representation write up the contract and send to selling agent.

I wouldn’t take the listing agents words too seriously.. Of course they’re gonna hype up their listing to get others motivated. I would just get an agent to write up the contract but be careful to not sign the representation agreement with them unless you decide that’s the agent you want repping you.

6. Jan 26, 2023 at 8:20 AM
    TexasTacoma713

TexasTacoma713 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5
    And another thing, don’t ever get emotionally attached to any piece of real estate.. Things change, things get bought and sold. Life goes on.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  7. Jan 26, 2023 at 8:32 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have no attachment to this one - in fact I really didn’t even like it (wife did).

Just another example of the crap that passes for professional here - I’ve seen it before too…amazing how half the time I get a similar story (but never have been told not to make an offer) and I pass - 3-5 days later I see the house remains active and I’ve got a realtor asking if I’d like to reconsider making an offer. Usually I’m like “not with you - if I do I will submit it via my NEW realtor and hang up” - it’s all just a poorly played game on their side trying to build fake bidding wars/sense of urgency.

I mean any home you go into first day is going to have some showings overlap - doesn’t mean everyone is a serious buyer. I usually like to view after a few days - enough time that sellers realize that pipe dream of someone coming day one, falling in love and bidding over ask IS NOT happening - but before they officially start cutting the price. If there are just a few realtor cards in the kitchen counter - that means few showings and likely only 1 or no competing offers coming their way - so I can play it slow and cool. A lot of cards - there are at least likely to be 2 - so I bid what I’m willing to pay - if I get it, great - if not - move on.

Doesn’t always work - but I just need 1 place - not a bunch. Kinda like car shopping - keep it straightforward and realize unless it’s a one off / there are multiple options available to meet your wants and bid accordingly.

Products Discussed in

To Top