1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any one have these tow mirrors? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by TomC843, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Apr 22, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    legger99

legger99 New Member

Member:
    The U.P. - MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    Hello Beardedbeast I see you have the backup led's wired to your courtesy, how do you like them? Are they too overpowering when approaching the truck?

I just installed these last weekend and like them overall and can't wait to tow my travel trailer.

I had to re-wire the right side marker light + wire as it was swapped with the reverse light + wire. I also had to connect the grounds on the 2 wire connector to the main grounds on the mirror side plug as without this the maker lights wouldn't work. I did all this on a bench test before install.

I didn't purchase the extra diode to have the marker lights flash, but everything else functions properly (after cutting the BSM wire)

All that is left to hookup is the remaining "white + wire" from the little separate connector when I decide to either hook it to the reverse lights, courtesy, or cargo. Oh and run the wire through the door wire boot :( for both sides :(:(

2. Apr 22, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    Beardedbeast

Beardedbeast New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Killeen TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 tundra crewmax
    ALOT!
    I actually like it as a courtesy light and they don’t bother me visually but that may be because I’m 6’4 lol

legger99 likes this.
  3. Apr 22, 2019 at 3:12 PM
    legger99

legger99 New Member

Member:
    The U.P. - MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    Well I am not that tall, only an inch under 6 ft though, but do the lights shine more toward the ground or straight back? It was hard for me to tell when bench testing.

My thought on the cargo light wire would be it could be used for backing up if needed too and I think the cargo light comes on with the dome lights if the switch is in the correct position. I currently have mine off because of the cap and the light doesn't do anything...

And I need to locate this cargo wire regardless for my upcoming bed light install, the cab to bed wire has been in place for a year now.

4. Apr 22, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    Beardedbeast

Beardedbeast New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Killeen TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 tundra crewmax
    ALOT!
    It shines more straight back but the bottom bulb angles down some as far as I can tell and you can definitely wire them to be dual functional!

5. May 5, 2019 at 7:51 AM
    Punisher17

Punisher17 New Member

Member:
    I looked at my plug for my 2007 SR5 crewmax and there are only 3 wires going to it. I believe they are positions 10,11 and 12 for mirror adjustment only. Which means they don't have wires for blinker, drl and the courtesy light. I've been debating getting these mirrors. The main purpose for me is to see better with them. I'd probably run the courtesy light to my courtesy lights and the drl to the window switch but I was wondering if anyone has figured out which wire I could run the blinker light to possibly in the door sill on each side of the vehicle. I would imagine that there is a wire for the rear blinkers in that harness. Any help appreciated.
    If not I was thinking about forgetting about the blinkers and running those as drl also so they wouldn't have blinkers at all..
    And another option would be to spray paint the side markers black and just not wire anything lol

6. Jul 15, 2019 at 12:48 PM
    Corr2626

Corr2626 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    So what did you end up getting??? I basically have the same questions as you, just two years later :)

7. Dec 8, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    Meltz

Meltz New Member

Member:
    Where did all of you get these gm type mirrors with BSM? 1aauto only has them with power fold. I have a 2017 limited with no power fold and wanted to keep them manual fold plug and play. Can anyone link me to the gm type mirrors with power fold. I want some that people have bought and have proven to work with no vibration. Thanks

8. Dec 8, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    I searched 'Tundra Tow Mirrors' in ebay and found a set.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/123561850344

Not 1000% sure if the BSM works or was wired in the set I bought, my truck doesn't have that. Ad says it should though.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Dec 8, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    DvilleMafia

DvilleMafia New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 4x4
    https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/312420933089

10. Dec 8, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    legger99

legger99 New Member

Member:
    The U.P. - MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    I have this set: https://ebay.us/JrGBiI

I installed them last April. I did bench test them and found out one side had the wiring switched. I also clipped the BSM wire as I didn't have those. After a week or two I had to tighten the pivot by taking off the curved cover as the right one kept moving when the door was closed.

Other than that no issues or vibrations. I never did wire the "backup strobes" to anything. And the front lights function with the parking lights, and the red mirror leds and heaters work great too! I had also extended them a lot last summer pulling my RV. I don't recall any vibrations when extended either.

My truck doesn't have power fold, or BSM.

I had a text file with notes from mine here it is in case anyone needs it (and after reading those I think I moved the ground from the single plug to the main harness, as there is a common ground inside the mirror, so the reverse lights would be a one wire connection now):

on separate plug:
    for white reverse leds:
    white is +
    gray is -

purple is blind spot
    blinker on mirror glass is pink w/ orange stripe

the negative from separate plug
    is the ground for the orange running lights
    blue wire

RIGHT MIRROR
    has white and blue wires reversed
    for white leds and orange running lights

11. Dec 8, 2019 at 8:24 PM
    Meltz

Meltz New Member

Member:
    Ok awesome I actually found some on eBay and was thinking hard about getting some. I suppose eBay ones can be trusted? I just thought everyone was buying 1aauto ones.

Does anyone know if the in mirror signals on some of the mirrors work with factory plug and play or some additional wiring need to be done?

12. Dec 8, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    Should be plug and play. If it's not it would be as simple as tapping into a wire in the mirror. My truck didn't have signals in the original mirrors but the truck is already wired for them. Those mirrors tie into that OEM wired circuit for the light on the back I can verify, I would assume the manufacturer of these would use the same circuit for the face signal.

13. Dec 9, 2019 at 10:01 AM
    legger99

legger99 New Member

Member:
    The U.P. - MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    I also think they would be plug/play. My wire cross issue wasn't the norm. It was wired wrong from the factory and I didn't want to bother with returning them.

14. Dec 18, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    DvilleMafia

DvilleMafia New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 4x4
    so boost auto sells kits to swap the marker lights to white led... are mirror clearance lights required to be amber? I know a member on here swapped his, but he’s in Canada. I’m in TX... wondering if I’d get pulled over...?

15. Dec 18, 2019 at 3:46 PM
    Meltz

Meltz New Member

Member:
    Update all. I just installed some tow mirrors I got off ebay. Everything appears to work, even a blinker located on the inside of the mirror however there's outside LEDs that are supposed to run the blinkers and the running lights and they do not light up off the factory harness. Any ideas how to fix this? I thought they would work since all the other features on the mirror works including the blinker on the inside of the mirror. Belanger9 said the truck is wired for this. Any idea how to fix these outside LEDs. If so is it an easy fix?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2021
  16. Dec 18, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    Are you talking about the backside turn signals being on as running lights? Mine do not do that, they are only turn signals. The truck is wired for them, I had the running lights on with OEM tow mirrors, but the GM mirrors I bought the lights only come on with the turn signal with no extra wiring. There is extra wiring to do for puddle lights if that's what you're asking about - there's too many lights on these damn things it is kinda confusing.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2021
  17. Dec 18, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    Meltz

Meltz New Member

Member:
    So I got these

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/333419369708

These have the in mirror signal lights for when the signals are on. These work as well as power mirror and BSM seem to work. However the problem is the outside(front) of the mirror, lights do not work. I see you also had an issue with that above. How did you fix this so the signals and running lights work?

18. Dec 18, 2019 at 5:49 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    Mine the front running lights never worked, they only work for turn signals and that was plug and play for me. The truck is able to run running lights as mine did it with OEM style tow mirrors, the GM mirrors I have won't do it though. So if yours are doing the same as mine it would be wiring inside the mirror, I'm not sure how to get it to work as I haven't even looked at getting them to work in that way.

19. Dec 18, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    Meltz

Meltz New Member

Member:
    Thanks for clarification. I know there's a way but I'm thinking because I technically have 2 blinkers, I'm wondering if my blinkers on the inside of the mirrors took priority to run vs the lights on the back. I'm sure if I exchanged for mirrors without signals inside the mirror the back LEDs would work as a signal. If anyone has any clue on how to fix these and make the outside LEDs work, I would greatly appreciate it. I know I have to wire it but I just don't know how or what to do. Thanks!

20. Dec 18, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    legger99

legger99 New Member

Member:
    The U.P. - MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    My front "orange" running lights wouldn't light up until I grounded those. They seem to share a ground with the white rear mounted puddle lights. I cut the ground wire off the 2 position plug and spliced it to the other plugs ground wire (mirror side) This post has the diagram for that plug (the truck side): https://www.tundras.com/threads/any-one-have-these-tow-mirrors-thoughts.28775/page-3#post-1066943

Those "orange" lights now are on with the parking lights and do not flash. that is a separate mod that requires diodes to be purchased and installed in the red mirror blinker lights and the orange front lights in-order to make them flash.

I initially looked into doing this, but I removed one of the glass mirrors and some of the small clips broke off, so I put it back together as I didn't want to risk the mirrors not clicking into place.

The 2nd issue I had was the puddle lights and the orange lights were switched on the right mirror, but you won't know this yet until you put 12vs to it.

If I ever do decide to hook up the puddle lights I just need to run a single wire up to each mirror as the grounds are already hooked up.

I hope this helps.

Note - I did test all this before I cut the wires!

Another note - You might not have your truck side pre-wired for the running lights? You can check by looking at the post I linked and looking at your truck to see if the wire is there (looks like you have a limited so I assume it is). Also you could just connect the little wire harness and run one side to ground, and would be an easy test.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    TRD-tv likes this.
  21. Dec 19, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    Meltz

Meltz New Member

Member:

That sounds sort of difficult. I'm not good with wiring. I was was just thinking it was my mirrors and to return my mirrors and try a different one as it seems other people with the same trucks have no issues just plug and play and everything seems to work.

On the other hand it appears many other mirrors include the wiring along with the mirrors making me think many trucks also need additional wiring. I wish they gave instructions with the mirrors. That would make this process a lot easier and less guessing.

22. Dec 28, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    JC-TRD-TX

JC-TRD-TX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tundra Army Green
    6 inch ready lift Kit Ranch hand grille guard
    I got mine color matched and installed today! I had the OEM tow mirrors before and can honestly say these beat those any day. Way better mirrors overall.

C4FBE5CF-0AE0-4599-92EB-48B299510373.jpg
    0E57B09F-8FA7-4591-B1BA-97C774B6CC77.jpg
    58898D57-2167-46AC-8459-691D3421043A.jpg

23. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:07 PM
    Stanky10

Stanky10 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stanky
    W Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tundra TRD Sport
    3/1 leveling kit with 295/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Go Rhino Dominator D6 step rails, Husky X-Act floor liners (front and back).
    JC-TRD, what mirrors are does?

24. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    Meltz

Meltz New Member

Member:
    Great looking truck! How much did that cost you to have them color matched ? And what type of shop did it? I may do that with mine as well.

JC-TRD-TX[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    TRD-tv

TRD-tv Menace2Ohio

Member:
    Cleveland OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Tundra TRD
    how are these working for you? did this work?

JC-TRD-TX likes this.
  26. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    TRD-tv

TRD-tv Menace2Ohio

Member:
    Cleveland OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Tundra TRD
    what about the BSM? how do you disable that?

27. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    JC-TRD-TX

JC-TRD-TX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes the BSM was disabled. Don’t know exactly how because I had a highly recommended auto shop do this project for me since I knew it would not be an easy one.

28. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    JC-TRD-TX

JC-TRD-TX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!

I had a auto paint shop do them paint them for me for $120.

29. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:32 PM
    JC-TRD-TX

JC-TRD-TX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    33097AE3-1244-490F-A3F7-DCC9A06A7FE4.jpg

30. Dec 28, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    If your truck is not wired for BSM it doesn't matter what the mirrors are. The BSM wire in the mirror won't have anything to connect to from the truck side.

Products Discussed in

To Top