1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any home audio guys/gals out there? Have a speaker question...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BuckWallace, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Dec 27, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace [OP] Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 L8T
    So, my wife got me a turntable for Christmas and I'm looking to get some new speakers to accompany it. I have a 100w (per channel) 2 channel amp and now just need to decide on which speakers to get. My room setup is far from ideal in that the speakers need to go in actual bookshelves. The "cubbies" they'll be going into are about 19.5" wide by 19.75" deep, and I can adjust the height as needed. I have some Klipsch RP-500M on order that I listened to in person and loved them, but the rear-firing port is what's concerning me given the location they'll be going into. I did some more research and came across the ELAC Debut B6.2 (front-firing port) and the Wharfedale Diamond 225 (down-firing port). I went and listened to the ELACs today at Best Buy, but I really don't think they had the system set up properly as I thought they almost sounded bad, which surprised me based on the reviews. I'm thinking the Magnolia guy didn't know how to set the amp to send all frequencies to the speakers.

Anyway, do you experts think the Klipsch speakers will suffer greatly being enclosed in the bookshelf cubbies and I should look for a speaker with a non-rear-firing port, or will I be OK going with the Klipsch RPs with the less-than-ideal setup? Any other recommendations for my situation?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 27, 2019 at 2:31 PM
    Twinky

Twinky Keep the shinny side up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kemah, Texas chillin on my ChrisCraft 480
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    Typically if you have about the same amount/distance/clearance from the port, to say a wall, as the width of the port it should be fine.

Ex. 2 in wide port should have no less than 2 inches of space from a wall.

4 in wide port should have no less than 4 inches of space from a wall.

Of course theres always exceptions.

Is building your own speakers a possibility? If so, you'd be amazed at all the exceptional builds there are available and the quality of drivers you can get for factions of the price.

BuckWallace[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 27, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 L8T
    DIY sounds interesting, but I haven't looked into that at all. I'm not sure I'd trust myself, and I think my wife would prefer a more aesthetically pleasing speaker. I'll definitely look into it!

4. Dec 27, 2019 at 3:31 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Not sure on the speakers but welcome to the wonder world of Turntables and vinyl.

I got back into it about 20y ago and it's about all I listen to.

5. Dec 27, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 L8T
    Thanks, I'm excited to start getting into it! Some friends of mine have turntables and comparing the sound from those to the compressed streaming garbage I normally listen to is pretty amazing.

Products Discussed in

To Top