1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Florida Lemon Law Experts out there?

Discussion in 'South East U.S.' started by Delta1Seven, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Mar 8, 2024 at 5:40 AM
    Delta1Seven

Delta1Seven [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    I think I messed up the Lemon Law Process (Florida)

My 200 mile '24 Tundra has just ticked over the 44th day in service. They are replacing the transmission, but its backordered. I opened a case with Toyota a few weeks ago, and they put in a request for a buyback/replacement of the vehicle. I received a letter stating "This letter is to acknowledge Toyota is in receipt of your claim requesting Toyota to repurchase/replace your vehicle.....". No where in the letter does it actually state Lemon Law, etc.

Was I supposed to also send a letter snail-mail to corporate? When I called Toyota Corporate and they submitted my request for the buyback/repurchase, they made it seem like this was the lemon law process.

I just got a text from my service advisor this morning stating they plan to have my truck back up and running next week (they just got the transmission delivered). Did I miss out on Lemon Law, assuming even If I send a letter into Corporate, they will still have my truck fixed by next week? I was reading online that they have 10 days for the date of receiving the letter to repair the vehicle, which even if I overnight the letter today, I would bet they will still have the truck fixed by next week.

I really don't feel comfortable driving this truck any more. The reliability, safety, and resale value has all decreased in my opinion. I just want a replacement truck as my truck only has 200 miles.

2. Mar 8, 2024 at 5:49 AM
    JohnWhicker

JohnWhicker New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Just continue with the buyback/repurchase process even if your truck will be ready. That's your lemon law in Toyota terms. If you ok with the buyback/repurchase then pursue that venue immediately. Don't let them stop just because you truck is fixed. They can take their POS back and get you a new 2024 truck. If they stop the process due to your truck being fixed then get a lawyer.

3. Mar 8, 2024 at 5:53 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Delivered with a faulty transmission (new) that they are replacing with a new transmission. Do you not want a Tundra anymore, or just not want that one? Transmission swap isn't as involved as an engine swap. I wouldn't be worried about a vehicle just because of that. Are there other reasons to want to get rid of the truck?

4. Mar 8, 2024 at 5:54 AM
    Delta1Seven

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    Correct, I just want another new tundra. They claimed this transmission may be "re-manufactured" (still waiting on verification on that claim) which is an absolute NO for me. I do not want a brand new $60k truck with a refurbished transmission.

KNABORES[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 8, 2024 at 5:57 AM
    Delta1Seven

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    Thanks for the reply. Corporate told me a buyback/replacement happens when the affected issues impact the value, use, or safety of the vehicle. I'm afraid they will claim the repair addresses those concerns, which is subjective because in my eyes a new transmission installed by Joe-Blow getting paid flat-rate being incentivized to do the swap as fast as possible, isn't' very confidence inspiring.

6. Mar 8, 2024 at 6:03 AM
    JohnWhicker

JohnWhicker New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Stick to your guns and ask for a replacement. As soon there was major failure and repair on your truck that will show in the record and value dropped, so you have a case. Insist to get the replacement or get a lawyer if they refuse.

7. Mar 8, 2024 at 6:38 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    Don't get talked into closing anything out

8. Mar 8, 2024 at 6:59 AM
    Delta1Seven

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    Listen to this one... When I spoke to corporate a few weeks ago, I explain how the resale value would be affected. The lady disagreed and went on and on about how the replacement of the transmission won't show on the carfax, only "Warranty Service" will show. But this just proves my point on how a replaced transmission on a brand new truck does in-fact affect resale value. Her only defense was "well it won't technically show transmission replacent on the carfax". So why not show it??

I can tell you, if I was about to buy a "like-new" truck (less than say 10K miles) and it had a replaced transmission already, I am passing on that deal....

9. Mar 8, 2024 at 8:10 AM
    JohnWhicker

JohnWhicker New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Call one last time and say I am about to get a lawyer, here is your chance to get it right, else I will get a lawyer to get me a new truck and extra $$$ to cover my lawyer fees. Also send a certified letter with the same message. If after this last strong message they don't budge is time for you to actually get a lawyer.

10. Mar 8, 2024 at 8:16 AM
    SM Tundra

SM Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2024 Limited Smoked Mesquite Tundra
    Just reach out to a lawyer that specializes in lemon laws and see what your options are. Seems like the most logical option over pleading with strangers on the internet. It sucks for sure, but seems like you are at your whits end and Toyota is just giving you the run around. If you can afford a 60k truck you can surely afford and hour of two of a lawyer’s time to figure out a solution. But I’m with you. If my new truck needed a new transmission 500 miles in, I wouldn’t want it back and would demand a new truck.

To Top