1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any classic car fans here? Mustang question inside.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ForceV4, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Aug 20, 2019 at 12:45 PM
    SK_Tundra

SK_Tundra New Member

Member:
    Stockton Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Mall Rated
    Get a marti report on the car.

2. Aug 20, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    InfernoPRO

InfernoPRO Technicolor BASTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD PRO
    Can’t. It’s a ‘66. :(

3. Aug 20, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    SK_Tundra

SK_Tundra New Member

Member:
    Stockton Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Mall Rated
    Ahhh I forgot. A year too early. :facepalm:

InfernoPRO[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    SK_Tundra

SK_Tundra New Member

Member:
    Stockton Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Mall Rated
    When I bought my 69 Mach1, a marti report confirmed it was a mach1 but it’s far from 100% original :rofl:
    552868D3-00D8-4574-9E28-6379CEC70379.jpg
    Sorry I know this info was no help to the OP :(

5. Aug 20, 2019 at 2:27 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Sorry, I missed this earlier.

Generally, it is better to NOT repaint a collector car unless the paint is hopelessly toast, and you have nothing to lose. In the first place, you can't replicate the old finishes of that period, and the car will look "over restored" (too slick and shiny, collectors are a strange breed). Second, repainting destroys originality re the paint, and the more original the car is, the better.

But, detailing the paint, engine compartment, trunk, the interior, and chassis WITHOUT removing any paint/crayon marks or remaining parts tags (some still have them) will help you get a better price from a collector. You can remove any leaked oil or grease with mineral spirits, but don't try to remove rust. Don't oil it, just clean with soapy water and leave it...anything you can do to remove rust will not help value.

YardBird and Watt maker like this.
  6. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    ForceV4

ForceV4 [OP] Pull my finger

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC TRD 4x4
    JohnLakeman, you've made a lot of good points about originality, among other things, and thank you for the Mustang Club of America link. The car was repainted once already in the late 70s. While the color is OEM, the actual paint job isn't. Plus, it's got chips etc. A new paint job would help attract more people. Whether it increased the value enough to spend the money, I have no idea. I don't think dad will bother with painting, its just a 'thing' with me.

Everything on there that I'd forgotten about is easily reversible. The molding on the side peels right off, the coolant overflow comes off and he's got the original bag for it. He's got the original ignition, the electric fan comes right off. He's got a box of doo dads that are all OEM stuff-lights, knobs, a door spring, duplicate OEM manuals still in plastic. He's a bit of a fanatic. The carpet is original as is the dash. He's got some old floormats but can't recall if they're original or not. All non OEM stuff inside can easily come out. He offered to take it all out before I took pictures. When we need photos for a sale ad, all of that will come right out.

This car has lived its entire life in Sacramento. I've never spotted any rust on any of the family vehicles.

This is all the first step in trying to figure out fair market value as nobody in his circle actually knows. NADA has a classic car guide that put it at 27k. I think that's nuts. A number of people have offered 12, but 12 isn't going to motivate the old man.

Coupe, I hope your wife drives the heck out of that car. What a beautiful specimen. Uh, the car, not your wife. Not that your wife isn't...oh, never mind. Seriously, thanks for posting up those pictures. It really is gorgeous.

Guys/gals, thank you for your help. I'm going to pass info along to dad and do more looking myself. mustang.org is my next stop.

YardBird and Watt maker like this.
  7. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    Porkchop Express

Porkchop Express Its all in the reflexes

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra CM
    Lift , tires , stereo , TRD headlights , Rolling tonneau
    4774700007_large.jpg
    My 69 Mach 1

Rex Kramer, YardBird, Coupe and 4 others like this.
  8. Oct 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    UPDave

UPDave New Member

Member:
    PA soon to be Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR 4X4 White
    Force, your dads car is what is known as a survivor and a daily driver. It’s a shame the paint is not original. But, an otherwise all original pampered car with good options is very good to have. Do not change a thing, just keep on preserving it as your dad did.

It’s a factory air car as opposed to a dealer installed air car. Options are center console, vinyl roof, factory AC with tinted glass, 289 V8. The tires are not original, but that’s a soft item like belts that have to be replaced. The battery is aftermarket and should be a black FoMoCo Autolite.

Determining a value is not going to be easy at all. You can have 3 of the exact same car in the exact same condition and the asking price will go from $20/k to $75/k. Because your dad drive the car for 88,000 miles it may have seen rain. These cars lived to rust at the slightest provocation. The pieces that go first are the frame rails under the doors, floor pans, torque boxes, and the wells in the trunk behind the rear wheels. Make sure you don’t have anything hiding in those areas.

Someone mentioned body style. The coups are the base style, the fastback comes next followed by the convertible. Once you have that you start going by options. For 1966 the options people really want are the GT package, Ralley PAC, 4 speed manual, aV8 is good, the HiPo 289 is better, factory AC, and Pony Interior.

Your dads car is the coupe, with factory AC and 289 V8. It’s nice to have all of the documentation and provenance, but it doesn’t do much for the value. It would have if dad would have bought the car and parked it. I would estimate a fair starting asking price would be $35/k to $38/k. Remember, you can always come down, you can never go up. Be prepared to have prospective buyers nit pick anything they can find and try to beat you down. For how nice the car is I’d stand my ground some on the price.

You can list it on Auto Trader and other similar outlets, local newspapers etc. With auctions, if you wanted to guarantee your price you’d have to put a reserve in it. They don’t like that much and usually charge you a fee so they get paid something. If you just take it to a good auction like Barrett’s and let it rip, your only cost is getting it there as most auctions will have the buyer pay the buyers fee on top of the amount of winning bid.

Best of luck.

Trooper2 likes this.
  9. Oct 11, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    UPDave

UPDave New Member

Member:
    PA soon to be Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR 4X4 White
    I wrote this huge reply and it disappeared. I hate this new IOS version!

Force, your dads car is what they call a daily driver survivor. It’s a shame the paint is not original. Also not original are the battery and tires. No biggie on those. the documentation is nice to have but doesn’t add much to the value. Dad did an amazing job or preserving the car while enjoying it too.

To determine value there are parameters that are not too difficult. What sucks is that there are so many TV shows where they are paying insane amounts for cars that are nowhere near worth it, and then every meat head out there thinks their car is worth a fortune. Not.

Here are the parameters. The cars was offered in three different styles, coupe, fastback, convertible. Value goes up in that order. Then come the options. Ford offered a lot of options. Some are rare, but some are what buyers want. In 1966 for the coupe and you wanted a V8 better a HiPo 289, the GT package, 4 speed manual, factory AC, or Pony Interior.

Your car is a coupe, options are V8, factory AC, console. Very well kept. A good start.

Now, no car ever made escaped rust. Dad put 88,000 miles on the car and probably drove in the rain. Look for rust along the frame rails under the doors, floor pans, torque boxes, and in the little wells in the trunk behind the wheels. Also, pull the battery and look at the battery tray and the inner apron it’s bolted too as these will rust. If you have very little to no rust your OK.

With the car style and options, and being super pampered, with little to no rust, I would estimate an asking price of $35/k to $38/k. Remember you can always come down, but you can’t go back up. If you price too high then your get no interest. Be prepared for prospective buyers to nit pick every little thing they can find and try to get you to come down. The car is nice enough that you can stand your ground some on the price.

You can list it in the local papers, or go to AutoTrader or similar sites. I suggest cash only or certified bank check. You can trailer it to an auction. Do a decent one like Barrett’s as opposed to some smaller local joint. Typically.... if you want to guarantee you get your price or it’s no sale, you put a reserve on the car. The auction house will probably charge you a fee to do that so they are guaranteed to get paid something. If you wing it and don’t put a reserve on it, the buyer pays the fees. This is typical and it’s possible it may be different in some houses. Selling with no reserve is a huge risk, as if it hammers for $8,000 it’s sold for $8,000 and you have to live with that.

Best of luck.

10. Nov 10, 2019 at 10:02 AM
    MAN N BLK

MAN N BLK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rickie
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra TRD CrewMax
    In time
    Late to read this and maybe the car already sold and strictly my personal opinion. Keep the car if nobody is starving. Dads old car will be worth a ton more than money someday. I’ve got my dads 83 C10 stepside, he passed away in 2013. No person or bank has enough money to buy it from me. Cool mustang for sure but being dads old ride makes it cooler than any other.

11. Nov 10, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    ForceV4

ForceV4 [OP] Pull my finger

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC TRD 4x4
    MNB, you make some good points and if things were just a bit different I'd be happy to inherit that car. I don't have room, nor do I really have much interest in cars. To make matters worse, I couldn't drive that thing even if I did own it. I can't fit in it, I'm too tall, too stiff and can't work a clutch anymore. Dad and I share a lot of amazing memories and adventures. We've always been really close. If I'd had kids, I would have been lucky to be half the father he is.

By the way, he's moved away from selling it for the 10th time. We'll have this dance again in a year or so unless someone shows up with a bag of cash.

YardBird likes this.
  12. Nov 11, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    MAN N BLK

MAN N BLK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rickie
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra TRD CrewMax
    In time
    Yeah it probably wouldn’t be much fun if you can’t drive it. And memories are priceless. Good luck to you and your dad on the mustang!

YardBird likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top