1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Tundra or Jump Ship

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Sierra_Nevada, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Dec 9, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    Pano roof - I like it on my Platinum as well as on my wife's MB SUV. It is a luxury feature not a requirement.

Crash test - F-150 has 5 stars in every category except rollover which is 4 stars. Definitely a safer vehicle. I believe they use solid concrete walls for crash tests, I doubt a Tundra is tougher then that wall.

Seats - unlike what somebody stated above, the KR, Platinum and Limited do have premium leather and massage seats standard on Platinum and Limited

Different people look for different qualities in a truck. Most Tundra buyers (here anyways) like the "truck" feel and simplicity. I like the luxury features and refinement on my current truck and it can still out tow an optioned Tundra (not that I really care because I don't tow). I like the Tundra but they need to step up their game with the next generation and I will be more then happy to shell out an extra 10K or 15K to get a nice truck with quality high end materials and features. For you real truck guys there always will be the SR or SR5 Tundra (and they have a higher towing capacity to boot). IMO the SR and SR5 are excellent trucks in their segment, Platinum and 1794 are heavily outclassed and mediocre at best in their respective segment (as in luxury truck).

B737 likes this.
  2. Dec 9, 2019 at 4:35 PM
    RPKEAN

RPKEAN New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Can’t disagree that that are outclassed per the above. I’m just cheap and id rather have the cash and higher residual. In my mind the cost of going 80% to 100% is 10-15k and I’d rather put that into my house or another car.

3. Dec 9, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    The physics behind crash tests are that they are essentially hitting themselves head on. Since the Tundra is ~1000 lbs heavier the truck has to deal with roughly 25% more energy than an F150 in those crash tests. Semi trucks would do absolutely garbage on crash test, but in a collision between a semi and a pickup we all know what the results will be. Crash tests inherently have this flaw, and it's difficult to determine how vehicles would fare in the same collisions.

DIYDad, jtwags and szabo101 like this.
  4. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    fundratss

fundratss Send it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey Tundra TSS
    Toytec 2.5” Coilover boss suspension 3/1 lift w/camburg uca’s Morimoto xb headlights Morimoto fog Rough country grill 2 RC blacked light bars Volant air intake system Rear air bags (for towing) I’m sure there’s more but I’m lazy
    10 year ford sr master tech here <~. And I bought a tundra. If that tells ya anything. Fords f150 problem list is much larger than a cam seal concern. Plus look and read through the seal thread. You can shine a light on there and see what color they used before buying the truck. I’m at 60k + miles no issues.
    Reading concern threads on a forum is like looking at why sick ppl are at the hospital.

just saying though. I’ve put a brand new engine in an f150 with 586 miles on it.

rebmo, Istvank11, sundance and 4 others like this.
  5. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:21 PM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    360 camera, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, active LDA, apple carplay/android auto, locking diff, 4wd auto mode, power step boards, 6.5ft bed, 2 engine choices

6. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    szabo101

szabo101 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum 4WD
    This is correct. Mass always wins when speed and acceleration are equal. Without getting complex with formulas for Force and Energy, think of a receiver running into a goal post at full speed ~ 20 mph. Maybe a little sore, maybe a broken arm or even a concussion. Thinking of driving your truck straight into that goal post at 20 mph. Your truck is pretty screwed up. Now, think of your truck and that receiver running straight into each other at 20 mph. The receiver is likely dead, and you might have a small dent in your bumper.

WNY PAT likes this.
  7. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:45 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Limited (Mines) 2019 Crewmax SR5 (Work)
    Yes. The beauty of physics... and equal and opposite reactions / energy. All of the energy of a crash, especially one when one goes from XX speed to zero speed (or XX kinetic energy to zero kinetic energy), has to turn in to something. The crumple zones take care of a lot, some is diffused as heat, some as sound and some is even transferred in an almost perpendicular fashion as the rear of the truck springs up. You can actually watch the energy transfer through the entire frame and body of the trucks on the high speed cameras. In any case, the Tundra has a lot more energy to get rid of because of the additional mass, the F150 has less energy to absorb and otherwise dissipate. When the two trucks run in to a wall, the Tundra has to do a lot more work to maintain the structure of the truck. But in a head on crash, the laws of physics dictate the Tundra has the advantage. Newton’s Laws and all that.

szabo101[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Limited (Mines) 2019 Crewmax SR5 (Work)
    If Jamie Davis is wrong... I don’t want to be right! Season 6 episode 5... family rolls their Tundra and walks away. :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  9. Dec 9, 2019 at 6:02 PM
    szabo101

szabo101 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum 4WD
    Can't dispute most of that. But I can dispute "two engine choices" or at least two that make sense. If you try to build the Ford with their better rear axle (3.55) you must get the turbo 3.5, you can not get that axle with the 5.0. It would make a whole lot more sense to offer it with the 5.0. Instead the better towing engine, the 5.0, is only available with an inferior 3.15 rear axle.

Why is that? Well the answer comes in Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) rules. Ford had a reliable towing engine with great low end torque in the Triton V8 of the mid 2000s. It was a gas hog, but could do it's job and was reliable. Ford sells a lot more trucks than they do efficient 4 cylinder passenger vehicles. So the CAFE rules necessitated scrapping that engine and putting 2.7L and 3.6L engines into working and non working trucks (seriously 2.7). They still make a V8 (the 5.0) but can't mate it to their best 1/2 ton transmission for towing because people would want it and their fuel economy numbers would tank and they would fail to comply with the CAFE rules.

Toyota doesn't have this problem. They make and sell a shitload of very efficient electric, 4cylinder, and 6cylinder passenger vehicles. Toyota sells relatively few trucks by comparison. This allows Toyota to make heavy (steel), reliable, working trucks that get really crappy fuel economy. They don't have to compromise the capability of the transmission or the engine.

Based on the investment in the Texas plant, Toyota's experience with electric vehicles, and the hybrid engine that Aisin will be building there, it is almost a certainty that the next generation Tundra will offer some form of an 8 or 10 speed transmission with a Turbo V6 and hybrid. Toyota's always been late employer of "new " technology, but when they do, they always bring their "A" game.

"My factory (non-modded) Toyota has all kinds of problems and been in the shop more than in my driveway", said no Toyota owner ever.

10. Dec 9, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    Apple carpay/android auto is now on the Tundra on all trims. Driver controlled locking diff is a $500 option. Still gets it up to 11 differences between Tundra Platinum and F150 Platinum in Ford's favour.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  11. Dec 9, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    That's the first I've heard of a locking diff being available on the Tundra. How do I get my hands on one?!

12. Dec 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    That option was for the F150, poor writing on my part. Use the full TC off to get the rear tires to both spin in the Tundra.

13. Dec 9, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Oh, I see. That makes more sense.

That's ok, my brother says you only need a locking diff if you're going mudding and I'm unlikely to take my truck anywhere I don't currently take my car.

14. Dec 10, 2019 at 12:08 AM
    Yoder18

Yoder18 Veteran underwater basket weaver

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Front range Colorado
    Vehicle:
    18 tundra trd off-road
    •Toytec Radflo 3” with 1.5 shackles •+25mm icon rebound wheels matte black. •Prox15 tonneau/Softtopper •315/70r17 ridge grapplers •Wheelers front bumper stops •Spray in bed liner •Vleds floorwell leds front and back and interior led kit •Boss front bumper spacer •First choice fabrication welded sliders •8” ss dirty deeds exhaust •Tech12volts remote start with carlink •Vleds front turn signals leds •AFE pro dry s air filter •Baja xl sport amber fogs •Victory 4x4 strike bumper w hoop •Ajt designs chrome delete for vent rings and cup holder/gear shifter (black) •Wet okole seat covers •Husky floor liners •RCI skid plate and transmission skid •Jomax SpEed sensor guards •Rear diff breather location mod
    I’m sitting in a 2019 f150 w 40k miles on it at the hospital where my sister is having her first kiddo and it’s rattling and shaking like hell. Check engine light has been on since 4K miles on the truck and all they did was replace a sensor that did something w the oil while it was on auto regen (truck shuts off at lights). It’s died I can’t tell you how many times and is straight up a piece of shit. Oh also brakes at 12k miles and they didn’t warranty it even though it’s a known issue and all of ford brakes are on back order for this truck. They threw aftermarket on and it’s fine now. I’m a ford guy but would never in a million years buy a f150. Thankfully it’s a work truck and I have my reliable tundra to get me ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE this piece of junk can’t. Love me some fords but hate the f150’a w a passion now. Just my experience w the last 6 iv had all great up until this 2019. POS

ScottsBad and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  15. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:07 AM
    TxTundracm514

TxTundracm514 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4X4
    Glad you're okay!

16. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    @ninjajay hit some of them...

F150 Platinum will come with upgraded leather. F150 has better crash test rating. 3.31 axle is included with 3.5 v6 or the 5.0 v8 standard. There are 4 axles to pick from (with lockers), as well as engines, two V6's, one V8 or a Diesel. Bed + cab configuration options not offered by toyota. F150 with 701A will have 360 surround view cameras, 120v outlets, forward facing flood lights on mirrors (additional puddle lights too), cargo box lights (might be on tundra), auto deploying running boards, electric adjustable pedals, hands free lowering tailgate, tailgate bed step, memory seats/mirrors linked to fob, heated rear seats, flat rear cargo floor (really toyota?!), cell phone remote start (i think on toyota now), power locking tailgate, rain sensing wipers (not sure if on tundra), ford keyless entry (door numerical code), seat massagers, auto extending + folding tow mirrors, blind spot and cross traffic monitoring with trailer, sunroof delete also available... that's roughly 25 for you, this is anecdotally off the top of my head, im certain ive missed a bunch.

I did, two actually. Have had a 2018 King Ranch for about 20,000 miles, and just ordered a platinum last week, thanks! Once the second one arrives ol' Betsy is going out to pasture

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Atomic City Tundra likes this.
  17. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:16 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    According to whatever data Consumer Reports has, the F150 is Ford's least reliable model.

18. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    Most of those things you mentioned cost more money - sure you can get them, but for most of us if we're going to spend $80k CAD we would go 1 ton with a diesel. Go price out a $65k CAD F150 and it's missing features that a Tundra has. Money matters to most of us.

3.31 axle is a downside, Ford doesn't offer the 4.30 that the Tundra has on the F150. Tundra will always have the best ratio, even if it doesn't ever come with a way for the user to actually lock it in.

19. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:59 AM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    That is an excellent point why spend all that money US or CAD on a half ton in that point when you can get a bigger truck. I have seen people do this by buying Ram 2500s or F250s for this reason.

20. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    To me the Platinum Tundra is right at about the maximum I would spend on a 1/2 ton, it fits right in at about an XLT F350. There's enough of a jump in creature comforts to not upgrade to the much more capable truck. Heck after my experience with this Tundra and replacing so many damn parts with better aftermarket ones my next truck may be a work trim stripped out HD, take that cash I save and go crazy on mods :rofl:

B737 likes this.
  21. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    I agree with @belanger9 looking at what is increasing the prices of the F150s or even Ram is not worth staying in the halfton. I rather get a Ram Powerwagon or something in the 3/4 ton truck range at that point which would be more bang for your buck.

22. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    I do admit however, I have always had 3/4 ton trucks and the Tundra is the first 1/2 years on I have had in 15 years. I sort of miss my 2500hd Duramax's.

I bought the Tundra as all I was towing is about $3k every once in a while. Now we are looking at a travel trailer and sure wish I had a 3/4 ton for some uses.

Oh well....

I absolutely love my Tundra though.

Ford does make a good looking truck and their interiors are really nice. There is no denying that.

23. Dec 10, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    Sorry Mike I have to strongly deny...Looks are a matter of preference. I think the front of the F Series trucks are the most butt ugly aborted attempt at styling with all the weird angles and senseless geometric shapes they look like a Jenga game on acid. But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Tundra_power likes this.
  24. Dec 10, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    yeah opinions are subjective for sure. I actually think the Titans look pretty good but everyone on here says they are the worst looking truck ever made.

25. Dec 10, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I'd rather have a Duramax if I was buying diesel.

Outbound likes this.
  26. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:16 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I've thought about Diesels a ton...... Might own one sooner or later, I'm almost convinces it is best to buy an old disabled truck back before the new emissions. (06 and before) and rebuild it.

27. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    You don't want any diesel that has DEF in it. Such a pain. Ruined the reliability that Diesels were renowned for. I think Dodge was the last to fully implement because of the Cummins' smaller displacement and that was around 2010-2012.

28. Dec 10, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Free Idaho, escaped Commiefornian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Just a Bed Rug, Soft Topper, Console Safe
    Resale value tells you just about everything you need to know. Resale is based on the collective wisdom of tens of thousands of truck owners over time. Obviously, there is more VALUE in a Tundra, which is why I bought one.

I bought a 2018 Tundra Limited in late 2017, my first pickup. It has been a great vehicle so far. I've owned a lot of vehicles, many Lexus, some Mercedes and a couple Fords. And while the Tundra is behind on tech, frankly, I did not even want the TSS because I want a truck to be simple and reliable. I went with the 2018 instead of the 2017 because of the LED headlamps, and increased resale for a year newer truck.

I've had no trouble with the Tundra and they've done the software upgrades no problem. I do have one small problem; When the fuel gauge gets down near empty I still have something like 8-10 gallons left in the tank. I'll eventually ask them to re-calibrate it for me.

I've used the adaptive cruise control pretty much since I got the Tundra, it works great! The Tundra rides great, pulls my boat well, and just feels like a truck should feel.

Reasons for me NOT to buy from American manufacturers.
    1. Lower reliability and more shop time.
    2. Turbo charged engines suck, I'd rather have a little less gas mileage.
    3. Higher cost, too many options to get what I want.
    4. Lower resale

Cpl_Punishment and B737 like this.
  29. Dec 10, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    I've looked at diesels in that range just for fun - they're selling for $40k with 100k km's. People who bought them back then, barely drove them, and are now looking to sell are getting what they paid for them brand new. With the gas engines they're all out with now diesel's are going to be for the heavy haul guys mainly

30. Dec 10, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    Check through this forum, we all have mentioned the 'extra' fuel in the tank. It's due to the shape of the tank and if you park on a slope you may not be able to get any fuel to the pickup. It's nice knowing I have 200 km in reserve if I happen to get the fuel light on.

ScottsBad[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top