1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Oil Change Thread

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Jota21, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    Jota21

Jota21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    So take it easy on me, but i've never had a car that uses the cartridge-style filter before and it's confusing me. Is the below all i'll need to do a proper oil change? I've always done my own, so i'm confident i can, but just a little unclear since the filter cap assembly/filter wrench/drain tool, fumoto valve are all foreign to me.

My understanding is that i'll use the drain tool to drain the existing filter, then use the filter wrench to remove the entire filter housing? Replace that housing/filter with the ones below for longevity? The fumoto valve is straight forward enough - i can't believe i've never used one before.

Also, Valvoline is ok, right? Why is it half the price of Mobil 1 on Amazon??????

upload_2020-3-27_11-35-39.jpg

upload_2020-3-27_11-30-49.jpg

2. Mar 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    801Tundra

801Tundra New Member

Member:
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    2019 Crewmax Limited
    Skip the MotivX tool and get this one instead:
    https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Guy-Rep...460&sprefix=toyota+oil+fileter,aps,192&sr=8-3

This is the filter socket that all the Toyota techs use. The OEM toyota filters come with the oil filter drain fitting, just need to find a piece of clear hose.

Everyone has their own opinion on oil, but it seems the favorite flavor around here is the Mobile-1 Extended Performance 0w-20.

Tundradrenalin likes this.
  3. Mar 27, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Yeah, that looks good. I'm going to get the Motivx package that includes the screw-in funnel, but what you have there will be fine.

I'm going to use Castrol Magnatec...it's great oil and even cheaper. Sign up for recurring shipments and I think the price drops under $17 for 5qts. I'll have oil delivered every 3-4 months automatically.

On a side note... our very own @Roman parts guy here on the forum is having free shipping on orders over $100. I bought 3 years worth of oil, air and cabin filters for about $135. His price on oil filters is under $4 each.

Roman and ninjajay like this.
  4. Mar 27, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Fumoto Pro Tip: Before you install it, take it to the hardware store and get ~2' of clear hose that will fit on the nipple. Then you can just run the oil directly into the pan. I haven't used one on the Toyota yet, but my Ford valve was horizontal and the oil squired out 2', well over and beyond the pan.

Tundradrenalin likes this.
  5. Mar 27, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    The first two samples are from Mobil 1 and the second two are of Valvoline:

08 TUNDRA-200228.jpg

Green Thunder and ninjajay like this.
  6. Mar 27, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur

Nice report!

7. Mar 27, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    As for the filter cap; you will probably need to swap the existing center (screen) piece into the new housing. If the existing one is longer definitely swap them out. The filter element needs the longer center screen.

As for the oil cost difference, Mobil1 name guessing. Lots of good oils out there.

8. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    Haggis777

Haggis777 I.L.J.C.M.L.

Member:
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver SR5 TRD Tundra Canadian Model
    LEDs interior & exterior, stubby antenna, Bak-Flip cover, 285's, AGM battery, block heater, Pine tree air freshener
    Exactly....did the same thing and saved some coin. Use the plastic insert you get with the oil filter and secure it with a hose clamp.
    Hose: 3/4" O.D. 5/8" I.D.

Green Thunder[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:53 PM
    Apollothetundra

Apollothetundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    07 Super White 5.7l V8 295,000
    That Aluminum filter housing is definitely worth the upgrade . Mine was all chewed to hell up and couldn't get it off with the filter socket do had to get some pliers. When I change my oil I dont worry about draining it out of the housing I just make sure to have the pan under and undo it slowly and dump it in the pan and clean the inside. As others have said you have to switch the inside metal screen with the one that's on your plastic one .

Products Discussed in

To Top