1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Annoyingly delayed shifts.

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Pucks18, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    She had me at "fluid"

Ely010606, bmf4069, YardBird and 2 others like this.
  2. Mar 25, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    wandering_boy

wandering_boy Junior Tech Wizard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    California
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC SR5 TRD
    Don't let a kid out smart you.
    at least she doesn't wear meth perfume :rofl:

Tundra2 likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2021 at 6:06 PM
    Faye

Faye New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Faye
    Vehicle:
    89 Supra

Wow, thank you so much for sharing my video! I really appreciate it. I always wondered why that one has done so well, and I think it's from folks like you sharing it. That means the world to me! I'm about to make a follow up including the filter.

I realize this is an old post, but I'm curious what happened to the OP? Were there any codes set?

I also recommend only using the OEM fluid. I've seen issues with aftermarket over time. I also don't recommend a flush, (usually that term indicates the use of an aggressive power flush machine) only a drain and fill, and only a little at a time if it's over 150k miles.

And thanks for all the compliments -- and for the record, I don't smoke or do any drugs, so I'm not sure where that came from

4. Mar 8, 2021 at 6:17 PM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    [
    Thanks for making it! :thumbsup:

I think it's popular because for non-professional semi-literate shade tree "mechanics" like myself who have been working on cars for years, when you come across a transmission with no dip stick the first time it's a bit of a head scratcher. I look forward to the follow up with the filter. :)

5. Mar 8, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    I actually prefer no dipstick... sometimes the damn dipsticks are a bitch to get back into the tube on trucks. My Tacoma will be getting the dipstick-less aftermarket extra capacity pan for the a340 if it ever actually comes out.

but first I still have to deal with the valve body issue in the tundra... but I can’t find anyone that can get their hands on the sonnax HD valve body. (Seems to be discontinued?) my valve body has some erosion hence my cold shift 4-5 flare...

6. Mar 8, 2021 at 7:47 PM
    wiggilez

wiggilez New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 access cab 4x4 tundra
    Topper, 1.2-2" lift, older motorola radio
    I know it's cause the truck is cold, but damn does it take time to go into 4th when it's cold, same for the converter lock,

7. Mar 8, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    myktundra

myktundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra DC TRD SAP
    Welcome Faye! Even if its only for one post lol! Its an easy to understand video and quite helpful. The follow up will be good as well. I need to do my Tundra with no dipstick at some point. I've done a couple drain and fills on my Lexus and my brothers Scion but they both have a dipstick.

Oh yeah...and the hottest thing about Faye? She graduated from Harvard, she works on cars out of a true love of being a mechanic.I can't help but wish her all the success she can handle

mtntop and Leo's first like this.
  8. Mar 8, 2021 at 7:52 PM
    myktundra

myktundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra DC TRD SAP
    The dipstick is also a bit difficult to read sometimes as well. For the oil too.

Have you tried contacting Sonnax directly? I emailed them a tech question about a U241E valve body and got an immediate repsonse. I actually ended up coming across a legit place on Ebay that used sonnax parts and rebuilt valve bodies by pure luck. But sonnax may be able to point you to a retailer since I don't think they sell direct to consumer.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Mar 8, 2021 at 7:57 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    They don’t. They sent me to a local guy, but he came up with nothing.. I’ll worry about it later. I just leave OD off till trans temp hits 100.. no issue then.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    myktundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 8, 2021 at 8:38 PM
    myktundra

myktundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra DC TRD SAP
    What trans is in your truck? Just went through your build on your Tundra, that thing is a beast! I still like the older Tundras...something about them. I have a 2011 but its a bit...bulky I guess is the word.

11. Mar 8, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    What happened to everyone that was rating Faye and claiming she was puffing? Haha, classic!

Because she came on here and handled herself gracefully I’m definitely giving her a 10. :thumbsup:

12. Mar 8, 2021 at 8:57 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    a750F 5 speed auto. same one in the video posted in this thread. its a known issue with them when they're up there with mileage and weren't kept up on with maintenance. erosion of the aluminum happens causing line pressure related issues that create the flare.

and yea, i love this ol truck. not many vehicles can say they've survived a roll like that!

Darkness likes this.
  13. Mar 9, 2021 at 4:37 AM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    But you are not a semi-literate shade tree mechanic with limited tools and no access to a lift....:thumbsup:

Darkness and empty_lord[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Mar 9, 2021 at 4:46 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    My truck has had the shifting issue between 1-2nd since the first year I mistakenly drained the transmission fluid thinking it was the oil pan. :anonymous:

Unfortunately Toyota in their infinite wisdom decided to publish in the owners manual that it was 2 quarts to drain and fill. I knew it was more so I put in 3 total (drained oil was contaminated by pan).

Only after a week of driving and calling 3 separate dealerships did I find out the true number was four.

Put in an extra quart, but it was too late since the damage was done. Thankfully it still works at 240k+ miles but has that annoying delayed shift.

15. Mar 9, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Might be time for one of these. Mine is going in today.

upload_2021-3-9_8-22-14.jpg

speedtre likes this.
  16. Mar 9, 2021 at 5:26 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Proper fluid level is key as mentioned. Also, I think the a340f (4 speed) has that delay inherently built in to it on the 1-2 downshift coming down from speed.

Weirdly, the 12 hole injectors eliminate that ‘lazy’ shift. The gear is right there when you need it after the install.

wandering_boy and lsaami like this.
  17. Mar 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    wandering_boy

wandering_boy Junior Tech Wizard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    California
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC SR5 TRD
    Don't let a kid out smart you.
    Tell me about it. I took the muffler of my '05 and I live in a neighbor hood with tight streets in the bottom of a valley. Let's just say if you live up the hill it sounds like a jet is rolling through in the mornings :p. Sometimes I get a delay between 3-4th even when its warm but the shift point speed load and rpm wise has changed over time. mainly because I flog it a bit more than the old guy before me. And @Professional Hand Model, the 12 hole upgrade helped tighten up that shift point for me too. But has to how my poor tranny has held up to me doing burnouts and drifts on dry pavement with a bumper up front and a tent way high up on the back is a minor miracle to me. But I'll definitely be changing all my driveline fluid soon. Oh, and @Faye thanks for the fluid tip. I was thinking about using good ol Amsoil for my trans, transfer case but I guess I need to go hunting for that red yota gold instead or that Valvoline blue ball..... jug of ATF.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  18. Mar 9, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    i guess i should come out now and say, I've been living a lie.. my tundra is actually a ford f150. I work for walmart and i've never touched a tool in my life

:p

19. Mar 10, 2021 at 3:17 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    I know what the product is and does, and I think it's a really good idea. But good Lord, what are they trying to communicate in Diagram #1?
    Again, I understand what it is and how it works, and for the life of me, I can't make that illustration make any sense.

@Professional Hand Model I know you have extensive baseline observations of the transmission temperature. It'll be interesting to see the difference the thermostat makes.

20. Mar 10, 2021 at 4:07 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Yeah. I had to lean on Years of Sensei Mind Jujitsu. Test ran it yesterday briefly without any Temp Gauges hooked up. Will report back later in a week or so with results.

Products Discussed in

To Top