1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Android Headunit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bryanpwatson, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Apr 27, 2020 at 5:31 PM
    ATCinfantry

ATCinfantry Pot Stirrer

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra MGM SR5 TSS Off Road Package
    Running Boards. AJT YEET Chrome interior kit. Tonneau cover. More Mods Coming SOON!
    Well after reading this over the past few days, sounds like its a cool tech toy for guys and gals who are into that but for those of us who like plug and play stuff thats gonna be reliable and user friendly, this doesn't appear to be for us.

HOWEVER, I do like the look and the idea behind it and I think it should be noted that even though I will not be purchasing this, I do respect those of you who are pouring the time and energy into this so that maybe next gen or the gen after, it will be plug and play and I may pick it up.

I'll keep following this thread so that you guys can keep me updated.

Also, my post count is low because I use the search function and google. Thanks for that as well. Every question I've had about upgrades or my truck in general has been answered without having to ask anything. HA.

gtoninn and MT Madman like this.
  2. Apr 29, 2020 at 1:17 AM
    Oregonsurfer

Oregonsurfer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM Tundra TRD OffRoad
    Old Man Emu Shocks; Dakar Leaf; TRD Dual Exhaust; Methods on 29/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx E rated..

Everything you said. It seems awesome; and for those that understand the tech realm and how to troubleshoot this stuff, it is a no-brainer. Like you, I need something that I can install and be done. If I didn’t have lawns to mow, dogs to walk, house renovations, exercising, and an arsenal of other projects, I would dive in. Something always rear’s its ugly little head and I have to adapt. I can’t add a something else, like this. Although people’s pics look awesome.

I need to find an alternative.

MT Madman likes this.
  3. May 5, 2020 at 3:48 PM
    Lightning_Lad

Lightning_Lad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Orange CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky Platinum Pro
    Line x Bed liner Trifold Tonneau cover TRD PRO Dual exhaust TRD PRO sway bar TRD PRO air intake TRD PRO suspension TRD PRO LED 2019 Headlight conversion TRD 2020 Wireless charging tray TRD shift knob TRD PRO Grille TRD red anodized dust caps (+25 hp per wheel) Matt black mirror caps and door handles Tesla style Headunit KTJO 4x4 tail gate pop n lock upgrade Driver side grab handle Viper Remote start Viper alarm system 18” Method NV’s 33.5” Toyo R/T ESP Long box underseat storage 3M ceramic tint
    I too purchased this unit last year, Px6, 64gb 8.1 blah blah.
    I’ve done multiple firmware updates, even reached out to Sergei on the FB forum. Super nice guy and super helpful. Alas, it still sounds like crap.
    Pops n crackles constantly, handsfree microphone is absolute garbage. Sounds fine on my end, the person I’m calling hears a high pitch squelch/squeal.
    It’s annoying as furk. I messed up by not reaching out to Phoenix sooner. I’m basically SOL.

I love the look of the screen, I want to love the interface and sound but it’s just straight garbage. I’m game to tinker with stuff, but this thing is too buggy and “home brew” for $1,000. Disappointing doesn’t even cut it. Does anyone know a good auto sound place in SoCal that can straighten out my truck’s sound?

pearlpower likes this.
  4. Jul 24, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    pearlpower

pearlpower New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 CrewMax in Radiant Red
    I have/had several of these Android aftermarket units on various vehicles, all jalopy garbage. Always some obvious miss in the software, Bluetooth is always crap, very very slow to download app updates, just buggy by design.
    It looks great, but so tired of inept software developers.

5. Aug 5, 2020 at 4:21 PM
    explore more

explore more New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    I've been loving mine for the past 2 years, but it drains the battery when off. I need to find a fix, it'd driving me crazy.

Audio is great, and I love having a big screen for my maps.

6. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    jobe

jobe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jobe
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5 crew max
    im building a really good system. high end. is the tesla head unit good quality for music sound??

YotaTruckLtd likes this.
  7. Aug 11, 2020 at 4:01 PM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    There was a wire you could switch up in the harness but believe you might not have quick boot anymore. I installed a battery tender for when I know the truck won't be ran over a week.

8. Aug 11, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Not sure, very satisfied with the way mine sounds. You could get one and try it, I believe they still have a 30 day return policy.

9. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    I wouldn't say it's high end, it's louder than the stock HU if you change nothing else. Assuming you'll probably put in a good amp, new speakers, boxed dual sub and sound deadening, you start approaching diminishing returns with a different HU that might give you some more output.

Mainly, do you want a tried true plug'n'play known brand, or something you may need to tinker but will give you android in your truck... videos, apps, games etc? Are you techy? The tinkering part gives some people headaches. I haven't needed to fiddle with mine after a month or two of ownership and it's almost 2y since I installed the Phoenix, I enjoy it every day.

Many here recommend Tech12Volts for system components. I bought his group buy speaker package, did not upgrade amp, have a cheap powered sub. It's certainly not up to car audiophile standards but more than good enough personally:

The selling point again for me is video playback for the passengers whether music vids or movies:

FullSizeRender copy 4.jpg

10. Sep 2, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    YotaTruckLtd

YotaTruckLtd Secret Squirrel

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Limited CM
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Boss 4x4 shims Boss 4x4 shackles Fuel Off-Road Vector wheels 20X9 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 35" tires SPC UCAs OEM TRD Pro Grille OEM 2020 LED headlights and OEM LED fog lights OEM color matched mirror caps and door handles OEM black exhaust tip Ecoological color matched metallic grey front and rear bumpershellz Go Rhino RB20 running boards XPEL Prime XR Plus ceramic tint 30% front 15% rear 70% windshield BAKFlip MX4 tonneau cover Dasaita 13in Vivid Headunit AJT interior chrome delete black kit AJT climate control black knobs AJT V3 shift knob TVD exterior emblem black inlays 3BMakers Yota hitch cover Husky front and back floormats K&N Select engine air filter GTR Lighting Armor Series LEDs Reverse lights Cargo lights 3rd brake light License plate lights
  11. Sep 14, 2020 at 2:38 AM
    TunaDr

TunaDr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra
    I joined to see what is possible
    army atc?

12. Dec 24, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    Rolfeman02

Rolfeman02 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 tundra platinum xsp
    will these work in the 2021 platinum?

Thanks!

13. Dec 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM
    LifeCycle

LifeCycle Build..build..build..

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red SR5 XP CM 2017
    TRD Dual exhaust TRD headlights bedmat Elka with adjustment knobs, ARB leafs-ring Fuel Crush +1 offset 20 inch 5 in backspacing TOYO open country 275/65 R20
    IMG_6180.jpg

This is a linkswell unit had it for over a year now.

pearlpower likes this.
  14. Jan 2, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    Voyagermike

Voyagermike New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California
    Is anyone interested in selling their stock 3rd gen 3 nob a/c panel please let me know. Shoot me a PM. Paypal ready
    Screenshot_20210102-154241_Chrome.jpg

15. Jan 14, 2021 at 3:01 PM
    G10dra

G10dra Not a New Member

Member:
    So it looks like Phoenix Automotive is going to release a revised version again. Toyota Tundra 2014 - 2021
    Their disclaimer " Please note that the price will increase as it's getting closer to the release date. The design may be changed according to user feedback, and the actual items may look slightly different from the pictures. Expected release date in March 2021. Unit can be returned within 30 days upon receiving for full refund if nothing is missing or damaged."
    [​IMG]

I just wished the frame and the buttons were black in color.

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/co...-navigation-radio-for-toyota-tundra-2014-2021

Use code 'NY2021' to get up to 20% off on selected items during our New Year sales event!

16. Jan 14, 2021 at 3:17 PM
    YotaTruckLtd

YotaTruckLtd Secret Squirrel

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Limited CM
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Boss 4x4 shims Boss 4x4 shackles Fuel Off-Road Vector wheels 20X9 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 35" tires SPC UCAs OEM TRD Pro Grille OEM 2020 LED headlights and OEM LED fog lights OEM color matched mirror caps and door handles OEM black exhaust tip Ecoological color matched metallic grey front and rear bumpershellz Go Rhino RB20 running boards XPEL Prime XR Plus ceramic tint 30% front 15% rear 70% windshield BAKFlip MX4 tonneau cover Dasaita 13in Vivid Headunit AJT interior chrome delete black kit AJT climate control black knobs AJT V3 shift knob TVD exterior emblem black inlays 3BMakers Yota hitch cover Husky front and back floormats K&N Select engine air filter GTR Lighting Armor Series LEDs Reverse lights Cargo lights 3rd brake light License plate lights
    I was going to place a order for a different version but just saw this new release posted on a tundra tesla radio group on FB. A friend of mine has one in his Titan and it works perfectly and looks so good.

17. Jan 16, 2021 at 12:27 AM
    primeiro

primeiro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henk
    Netherlands
  18. Jan 31, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    eowade

eowade Restore The Republic!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tundra TRD Pro
    Smittybuilt 10klb winch, 295/70/18 Recon Grapplers, Remote Start, WeBoost, Mifi, Philosin 13.3 inch rotatable HU, Center Console wireless charger, Nilight hood, ditch, and bumper lights on 8-gang switch
    pearlpower likes this.
  19. Feb 2, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
  20. Feb 6, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    eowade

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Smittybuilt 10klb winch, 295/70/18 Recon Grapplers, Remote Start, WeBoost, Mifi, Philosin 13.3 inch rotatable HU, Center Console wireless charger, Nilight hood, ditch, and bumper lights on 8-gang switch
    Great news! Received the new HU yesterday and got it all installed. EVERYTHING WORKS! It is gorgeous. Sounds great!
    It connects to the OBDI port to show detailed information on the truck (engine, TPMS, and more). The wireless Carplay works great (both ways). I already installed Gaia GPS for overlanding, Blue Iris to keep an eye on all our cameras while we're gone, Youtube for my wife's entertainment, and several other apps.

It is a little bit of a tease though. The settings onboard this PX6 show it is fully ready for having its own cellular connection. Trouble is, there does not appear to be any place to put in the SIM card for it to work.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    ZPMAN and CanDras like this.
  21. Mar 5, 2021 at 10:40 PM
    CanDras

CanDras New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Plat. Supercharger, Fox 2.5 DSC, Total Chaos UCA, ADD Stealth Bumper, ARE topper, 35x12.5x20 Toyo MT, Fuel D671
    Did you need any add on for the OBDII info? (Bluethoot or Wifi OBDII reader)
    Didn't have any issue with the JBL system like some did?
    Do you regret not waiting for the Sc7862 unit?

22. Mar 6, 2021 at 1:04 AM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    I ve never had to own a google radio to know what could/would most likely happen to some. Software glitches are bound to happen when an os as complex as android is involved. If I was in your shoes the first thing I would do is try to do a system restore, or flash the os: whatever they call it. This would of course reset all user settings to default. Here is what I think is a px6 32 reset video, (it takes a minute to load up) It may be different than a 64gb, but you get the idea.. If not the same radio you can go here, and find the right radio, and most likely find reset info. If that doesn t fix it a repair shop like you said is probably the best option.

23. Mar 9, 2021 at 6:37 AM
    JWillbeatu

JWillbeatu New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra 1794
    Can you post a few pictures or videos?

24. Mar 9, 2021 at 7:44 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
    Found out last summer there is a local shop in the Dayton, Oh area that is installing the Tesla "style" units.
    Not sure which vendor they are using to source them though.

25. Mar 9, 2021 at 1:31 PM
    eowade

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the long delay on responding, but on the bright side it gave me a chance to thoroughly evaluate the HU. The unit we got had a wired OBDII connector, although it reads the ATPS nicely, most OBDI apps require a blue-tooth connection. I have one, but prefer not to use it. The JBL system sounds great in the truck, and very little tweaking was needed for all to work well. Phoenix Automotive even included a great single page troubleshooting guide for the most common challenges you may have. I read somewhere on our forum here that you may need to file down the plastic in back on top to get a good fit in the dash, and that info was spot on. Overall, it looks nearly like what we might expect Toyota to eventually have stock from factory, but until then... well.

We did experience one annoying period of several hours where the screen went completely black for no apparent reason. We found a paper clip and performed a reset on it, and next time we started the truck, it was back to normal.

My only regret is this HU does not have a physical volume control, and the touchscreen volume control is awkward to use, especially when you need your eyes on the road. I wonder if we could execute a trade-in when the SC7862 is finally available. I see it has a physical volume control on it.

Jego likes this.
  26. Mar 19, 2021 at 12:54 PM
    pearlpower

pearlpower New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I went ahead and pre-ordered the SC7862 with 360 camera surround. Shall see how it goes. Worse case I can always do a charge back if Phoenix gives me a hard time with a return if the device is buggy. They gave me an April release timeframe. .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  27. Mar 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Would like to see the 360 view.

pearlpower[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Mar 23, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    PapaGrizz

PapaGrizz MGM CRÜE

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmax

Very interested in seeing how the new unit performs!

29. Mar 23, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    pearlpower

pearlpower New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    On the FB group, the 360 camera did not receive any accolades, shall see. I will definitely post up my impression once I receive and install.

30. Mar 23, 2021 at 6:57 PM
    eowade

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Here we are, weeks later... the HU won't stay in the dash. I tried replacing the clips with a few extras I had around to no avail. Highly annoying! The backlight to the Home button no longer works either. The HU has a temperature indicator near top right by clock. It only works in Celsius, as opposed to Fahrenheit. Changing in in Setting has no effect. Troubleshooting instructions say if you can't change it then just disable it. Wow! No QA/QC on these.

Products Discussed in

To Top