1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Android Headunit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bryanpwatson, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Aug 25, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    Fiestee23

Fiestee23 A CHICK'S TRUCK

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    White sr5 4wd
    Can someone put together all the options for attachments on this unit please... OBG2 , antenna adapters etc

2. Aug 26, 2018 at 12:19 PM
    Young80i

Young80i New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Garden Grove CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum
    Finally pull the trigger on one.. hope don’t run into any problem..

3. Aug 26, 2018 at 5:18 PM
    TBS

TBS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 CrewMax 4x4 Barcelona Red
    E50 extinguisher, Valhalla Plates, ESP Storage, Chrome Delete, Pwr Tailgate Lock,
    Where did you get your update for your V1?
    Also can you tap the version 7.1.1 multiple times until it shows the animation. Then tell me what the animation is on the screen. Is it an N ???

EDIT: Never mind I guess they uploaded a new update.img file to the Dropbox share. I must have missed it. It shows 7.1.1. but it is still KitKat with the big K when you tap the version number. They "Spoofed" the version number again.
    I hope the V2 is the real android version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcmb185isuorqcr/update.img?dl=0

Thanks,
    ~TBS

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    1971sport likes this.
  4. Aug 26, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    A kenwood , pioneer, or alpine would be a much better choice. Proven head units without all these insane bugs, for similar price tag. I'm actually shocked how many guys still are buying these. I guess for looks and the hope that one day they work seamlessly without issues.
    With that said theres a Tesla android unit for sale on this forum for 300 if you want one, that's even more savings.

5. Aug 27, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    lucky13atx

lucky13atx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Tundra Platinum CrewMax 4X4
    Fast Boot Phoenix Android Radio, Bilstein 5100s, Custom Hoop Step Bars, LED light bar in lower grill, JL Audio XD600/6 Amp, Kicker zx400.1 Sub amp, Kicker Solobaric 10 L7 in custom enclosure, color matched door handles, Husky Xact contour floormats, 2-way alarm with remote start, 6000K retrofit Xenon projector headlights
    I initially bought the 1GB RAM/32GB ROM version of the radio, but returned it due to having issues it not playing audio at all. I called Phoenix and troubleshot with them for an hour or so. I have a 2015 Platinum, and the speaker wire on the audio harnesses did not match up at all. I also had problems with fitment. The top of the bezel on the radio would always pop out and would never stay snapped into the dash as it should. I returned it for a refund.

I sent the radio to CA from TX using the prepaid FedEx return label. I sent it on Friday afternoon 8/3. It arrived in CA Wed (8/8) or Thurs (8/9). On Monday AM (8/13), I sent them an email about 5AM CST asking about the refund. I then sent them a message through their Contact Us tab on the Phoenix website before noon that same day. About 7PM I checked PayPal and saw the refund was being processed. The funds were available about 1AM Tuesday (8/14).

I ordered the Fast-Boot version Tuesday by 2AM. Around 9AM CST I sent them a message through the Contact Us tab on the Phoenix site. I gave them my new order number and asked them to process my order ASAP (i didn't want to wait for up to 5 days for the order to be processed), thinking it would take a couple of weeks at least to receive the FastBoot Radio from China. I explained that this was my second order due to the first unit not being compatible with my vehicle. Later Tuesday afternoon, to my surprise, I received an email stating that my order had shipped and that it would arrive via DHL on Friday (8/17) from Hong Kong, which it did. It was delivered right at 6PM CST to my front door. I did not pay for expedited shipping (around $40). I thought it was great customer service for them to get the FastBoot version shipped to me so quickly.

I will post more of my experience as time allows... I'm at work now.

I plan to shed some light on differences between the radios, since I couldn't find much info on the FastBoot version before ordering it myself.

Hope it helps... This is my first post...

D3Tundra likes this.
  6. Aug 27, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    lucky13atx

lucky13atx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fast Boot Phoenix Android Radio, Bilstein 5100s, Custom Hoop Step Bars, LED light bar in lower grill, JL Audio XD600/6 Amp, Kicker zx400.1 Sub amp, Kicker Solobaric 10 L7 in custom enclosure, color matched door handles, Husky Xact contour floormats, 2-way alarm with remote start, 6000K retrofit Xenon projector headlights
    Continued from Post#1550

(I'm going to call them slow boot vs. fast boot radios to differentiate for the remainder of this post.)

There are several differences between the slow-boot version of the Tundra Phoenix Android Version and the FastBoot version:

The slow-boot version (with A/C dials) required removing the OEm stereo, the climate controls, and the bottom panel with the 12V plugs/security sensor/USB/aux input. The bottom panel plugs/inputs had to be removed from the OEM panel and installed in the the corresponding places in the Android radio. Also, the Airbag indicator and hazard lights button cover had to be moved from the stock climate controls to the android radio. I thought this was strange, since it had all the other buttons. (this did not have to be done in the Fast boot version).

In the fast boot version, the bottom panel with its connections stay in, and only the OEM radio and climate comtrols have to come out.

The harnesses were significantly different, partly because the FastBoot radio has a "brain" separate from the screen, whereas the slow-boot version of the radio was all one piece.

I had to connect a separate ODBII integration module to the the slow-boot radio, which also connected to the OBDII port under the steering column area of the truck. When I started hooking up the fast-boot version to my truck, it had no ODBII module or ODBII cable with it. I was afraid they forgot to send it, and that my tach/speedo/door open indicators, etc wouldn't show, but after getting it hooked up, they did. (All comes from Canbus, I'm thinking)

When I had the slow-boot radio installed, all steering wheel controls worked, except the most important ones (Vol up/ Vol down). I could never get them to be recognized or work at all.

On the fast boot version, all steering wheel controls worked (except voice button is mute, and Mode/Mute is only Mode).

Temp displayed when changing in slow boot version was crazy, with temps jumping all around in no apparent order. Not accurate at all.

Fast boot climate controls work perfectly. Heated and ventilated seats have buttons, and work great. (I was really hesitant about giving up the manual controls for A/C. It gets hot down here in Texas.) But not at all an issue. You can choose the initial fan speed that will blow when the car is started and the unit first kicks on, then after a few seconds it returns to whatever you had previously set.

The slow boot version had a separate external mic that could be run up the A-pillar and over to the rear view mirror area, along with the built in mic. I didn't try out the external mic, and barely used to internal mic, so i can't really comment on how good or bad either was.

The fast-boot radio fit much better in my Tundra. It fits flush with the surround dash plastics. The top doesn't try to pop out all the time. The tablet screen is almost an inch bigger than the slow-boot version.

The color of the bezel of the both tablets is just a shade off of the metal colored plastic composing the dash of my Tundra platinum. It has a slight gold tint compared to what is in the truck. Unless you really look, its hard to notice the difference.

IMO, many of the bugs present with the slow boot version (at least the 1GB, 32GB ROM version) have been fixed in the fast boot version. The bezel design and fitment is much better. But it is not quite perfect.

When I first installed the fast boot radio, it seemed to lag with every action I performed. I downloaded the lastest update for it, installed it, and it didn't seem to help. I installed the update 2 or 3 times, with no better results.

I deceided to download the update again, and load it on a differnt flash drive. It helped tremendously. Now the radio runs pretty smoothly, with some exceptions.

After the update, the Radio Icon on the top scroll bar disappeared. Also, when I first start my truck, if I play the Radio, I get sound. But no sound from Spotify, the HD-Videoplayer usually won't detect my 1TB hard drive that contains Movies, or any other sound doesn't seem to be output from other apps. I'm not 100% positive, but I think that no audio is played if I get a phone call, and I don;'t think that callers can hear me when answering the phone. It is as if other than the radio, not audio input or output works.

2 ways I have found so far to fix this:
    1. Use a paperclip to press the reset button
    or
    2. (My preference until i get it worked out) I go to Settings, System Settings, scroll to bottom, and press save and reboot.

After reboot or reset, everything seems to work perfectly, though it does take some time for the system to reboot and kind of settle in.

I will detail how I connected my amps, speakers, and front cam soon.

Also, I replaced the horrible component speakers in all 4 doors, and ripped out the poor excuse for a sub enclosure that Toyota chose to pair with the system. Toyota really missed the mark on the supposedly Premium JBL sound with Entune blah blah.

That being said, I did install much better JBL component speakers for not much money, and an existing 10" Kicker SoloBaric L7 I had from a previous build and the system sounds 10000 times better than stock. The stock system was pathetic. I'm still using the left, center, and right channels in the dash, too. I will detail how I currently have the setup in a later post, as I stated earlier.

More to come..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  7. Aug 27, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    lucky13atx

lucky13atx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Initially when trying to contact Phoenix, I had trouble reaching someone in the morning hours. I had best luck calling them around 5pm-7pm CST.

D3Tundra likes this.
  8. Aug 28, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    I broke under pressure and got the fast boot, was happy with the first gen and hopefully it will be worth the change. Now I was thinking about what to do with first gen? Maybe for my work bench? Mount it in the rear for the boys?

Fiestee23 and D3Tundra like this.
  9. Aug 28, 2018 at 10:24 AM
    G10dra

G10dra Not a New Member

Member:
    has Anybody got the new version with or without the button? I am looking forward to reading the reviews and most importantly pictures.

10. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Insane bugs?
    tumblr_static_bugs-bunny-bugs-bunny-26143775-500-355_zpsq2hqj2gt.jpg

11. Aug 28, 2018 at 2:08 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    Yea, I decided to get one on the group buy as well. Went with the one with the new buttons.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  12. Aug 28, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    My exact thought! From what I've read, Phoenix has been very pro-active and successful on improving this unit.

ZPMAN[QUOTED] and sprtbkr like this.
  13. Sep 8, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    lucky13atx

lucky13atx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (continued from Post #1551)

So yesterday I called Phoenix about the issues with my new fast boot radio, which were:
    • only radio played audio upon first starting my truck. In order to play audio from anything else (any App, the HD-Video player, or anything else), the radio had to be rebooted or reset.
    • occasionally, when starting the truck, the screen would stay black (no video). you could see that the screen was getting power, just not displaying anything. Sometimes, after 15-20 minutes, the screen would finally come on.
    When I first installed the radio, I didn't have these problems, but the system seemed to lag upon every command or action you tried to make it do. I installed the update listed on the facebook page as:
    July 7th
    Here is the newest software for PX3 vertical screen Android 7.1 fast-boot units.
    (https://www.dropbox.com/s/10gonhrqydz3hk2/px3.img?dl=0)

Though the radio ran a bit faster, that is when i started to notice the problems with audio only playing from radio. Also, the Radio icon on the top scroll bar disappeared. I could start radio through the Mode button on the steering wheel, or through Car Launcher Pro. (by the way, I was wondering if Car Launcher Pro or any other app I had installed was causing the issues with my radio, but I removed everything back to how it was when I got it, and it made no difference in resolving my issues.) I hated having to reboot every time i wanted to listen to Spotify or something, so I finally called Phoenix again.

I spoke with Chris and explained the problem. He emailed me a link to another update px3.img file. I downloaded it from their Dropbox, installed it on my radio, and it fixed audio, black screen and radio icon reappeared. I still have more testing to do with the unit, but it has made a world of difference so far. I think the PhoneLink (screen mirroring) is working properly now. (before it kinda worked, but wouldn't display video from Netflix or Google Maps).

That's all for now. Will post more soon...

ZPMAN and D3Tundra like this.
  14. Sep 8, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    dud13

dud13 níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 4WD 5.7 (noFFV)
    See Info Page DeChroming... in progress.
    WTS? I just called them and they said it would be another 3 weeks before they shipped?!?!

15. Sep 11, 2018 at 4:05 AM
    AK-in-MI

AK-in-MI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Crewmax
    D.A.P. Tune Bilstien 6112/5160 33x12.50xr20 Toyo Open Country M/T 20x9 Fuel Coupler TRD Exhaust
    I received mine without buttons yesterday. It got here in 3 days after they shipped it.. Installed it last night and everything is working great but didn't get much time to really get into it. The HVAC temp control works perfectly and they was the only real issue I had with the first model. 20180910_200638.jpg

16. Sep 11, 2018 at 7:13 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Looks great very clean, I got with the dials/buttons and hope it won't look to clustered.

AK-in-MI[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Sep 11, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    AK-in-MI

AK-in-MI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Crewmax
    D.A.P. Tune Bilstien 6112/5160 33x12.50xr20 Toyo Open Country M/T 20x9 Fuel Coupler TRD Exhaust
    If anyone is interested in the first model I will sell it for cheap . Not many people where I live that drive tundras..

Fiestee23 likes this.
  18. Sep 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    TheTripleLindy

TheTripleLindy New Member

Member:
    Does anyone know how to download your phonebook out of your cell to it and how to remove the Tundra truck on the home screen (not the boot screen)?

19. Sep 11, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    dud13

Member:
    Vehicle:

This is kind of BS... I called them again today and they said they had no idea when my order would ship. How many people from the group buy have received their already?

D3Tundra likes this.
  20. Sep 11, 2018 at 11:48 AM
    TheTripleLindy

TheTripleLindy New Member

Member:
    I received mine yesterday from the group buy (No buttons version).

21. Sep 11, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    think it was in this thread, you might have to dig. I would guess between #75 and #150
    Patience Grasshopper it will come, did you pay for the bettor shipping?

D3Tundra likes this.
  22. Sep 11, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    dud13

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’m trying, I don’t mind waiting. It’s just a bit weird when I see others getting their order and when I call to check status i can’t even get an estimated time to ship.

23. Sep 11, 2018 at 12:14 PM
    D3Tundra

D3Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Midnight Black Tundra Limited 4x4 CM
    Rigid fog lights Interior Led light upgrade Spray in Bedliner CRUX Avity-01 VIM Bypass module 5% tint all the way around 50% on the windshield Wireless charger arm rest mod Amp Research Steps Bak Revolver X4 Tesla Style Headunit Procomp 4" lift Toyo M/T's 35x12.5xR22 Fuel Maverick D538 wheels 22x10 -24 offset
    Hows the sound on yours? I think I was talking to you on FB haha. My sound is the only thing that isn't perfect. Everything else works like a charm. I followed this thread for a long time and I think they got ALL the kinks worked out on this version. The only thing I've noticed is the sound and in the settings if you turn on the temp its not completely accurate.

24. Sep 11, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure I will be getting mine after yours, I accidently got mine just hours before the dead line:facepalm:

D3Tundra likes this.
  25. Sep 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    D3Tundra

D3Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Rigid fog lights Interior Led light upgrade Spray in Bedliner CRUX Avity-01 VIM Bypass module 5% tint all the way around 50% on the windshield Wireless charger arm rest mod Amp Research Steps Bak Revolver X4 Tesla Style Headunit Procomp 4" lift Toyo M/T's 35x12.5xR22 Fuel Maverick D538 wheels 22x10 -24 offset
    Did you get the version with or without buttons?

26. Sep 11, 2018 at 12:40 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    with the Buttons/dials, I'm hoping that I can program at least one of the buttons for Google search.

D3Tundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Sep 11, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    AK-in-MI

AK-in-MI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Crewmax
    I don't have any issues with the sound. It is just as good as the older model.. Better then stock for sure . I would make sure to go into your equalizer and click the loudness button to on.. Then you can go into the console which is between the music and Bluetooth button. Go into the amp info from there and adjust the current volume and bass.

28. Sep 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM
    DallasTundra

DallasTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4X4 5.7L Silver Sky
    2" MotoFab leveling Kit, 2Crave NX-5 wheels(5X150 +15 offset to fill in fender flares space), 275/60R20XL Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Tires, VLEDs Triton V3 Switchbacks, TRS Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights, CCI Chrome Grille, 2019 LED Headlights, Extang Solid Fold, Texas Edition, Leather, Nav, JBL, OEM Flares, Husky WeatherBeaters.
    Any pics or video showing “fast boot”?

29. Sep 11, 2018 at 1:09 PM
    AK-in-MI

AK-in-MI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Crewmax
  30. Sep 11, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    D3Tundra

D3Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Ill try to take one, but its literally an instant on. If power is disconnected from it or if it hits the sleep mode timer (which you can adjust I believe. It comes set to 24hr) its instant on. If you shut your truck off, go into chipotle, come out itll be instant on. If you let it sit in the garage for a day or so, youll see the boot screen.

To Top