1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Android Headunit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bryanpwatson, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Aug 12, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    TundraLuv

TundraLuv New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    IA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic Limited Crewmax
    Very tempting............ XM workaround mentioned as well.

2. Aug 12, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
  3. Aug 13, 2018 at 1:19 AM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2020 Marine Corps Green Sequoia. (SEQUNDRA) Past~~ 17' Cement TRD PRO (FUNDRA)
    For those on the fence about buying the 2nd gen, and wondering about "knobs or no knobs" here's my experience so far after having the 2nd gen for almost a month or maybe a bit over. Another member PM'd me and asked me for my opnion. This is just a copy and paste of my reply. Maybe it will help those on the fence to make a more educated decision

Hey Bud. So without getting in too much of a narrative here's my input in short bulletized fashion

The good
    • looks awesome
    • fits almost like oem. Looks OEM tho
    • allows you to pretty much utilize headunit like a large phone ( If you're an IOS guy and not an android guy, not the end of the world)
    • opens up for capabilities like front cam, dvd modules etc
    • amp and settings are a bit greater than factory
    • retains almost everything your old headunit had
    • most of your steering wheel controls will remain active
    • direct plug and play
      • nothing else needed
    The not so good (right now, since they are working on things)
    • since its pretty new, and again maybe a 3rd generation may come out (KNOBS), there are nearly a dozen issues and more to come involving normal operating systems like
      • just getting it to function properly right out of the box
      • you have to do a little programming (easy-ish) out of the box
      • bluetooth microphone volume is weak (apparently can be fixed via an update)
      • hotspot wifi on your phone is not automatic. You have to go to your phone and go to the hot spot menu and then go into the head unit settings and select your phone ....and then hit connect--- probably my biggest complaint, but afterwards its pretty amazing
      • the navigation is not the best, but I use waze anyways
        • you will lose the navigation on your little dash screen, Not a big deal to me
      • the new unit has some small quirks that need to be resolved with the boot up system. I'm sure you may have read my slow to "non existent boot up
      • one major issue I'm dealing with is the loss of my Alarm. Not sure what happened. The audible tone is gone on lock and unlock. And the complete alarm system doesnt even activate even if I force a locked door open when the alarm is engaged. *solid red lock on dash
      • Theres probably tons more that the new buyers WILL find and I'm eager to hear
    As far as having the knobs. Meh. Makes no difference if they are there or not to me (as of right now) . Maybe if a feature comes out that needs them, but whats the point. The clean "no knob or button" look is what I wanted. If you have a shotty system then it makes no difference if there are knobs. The climate control is the only thing I can think of that may be used for the knobs, but its perfectly good with just the touch screen *(once you are synced up properly and get it to work)-- unless the new system already has that programmed now

I'm hoping people play with it as much as possible so they can find some more quirks we need to fix. Overall, I have no wants or desires to go back to my OEM unit. Only reason why I reinstalled it afterwards was to see if that had to do something with my alarm. (which it did not). Im almost certain I blew a fuse or something crucial to the alarm system during the course of the install of the new unit.

Hope that helps. I'll probably post this on the forum just for any other curious enthusiasts.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    TundraLuv, JoshuaA, D3Tundra and 2 others like this.
  4. Aug 13, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Does anyone know if the knobs in the new generation are green or some other color when they lit up.

5. Aug 13, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    Fiestee23

Fiestee23 A CHICK'S TRUCK

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    White sr5 4wd
    RGB.. From what I read you can choose the color

Coolhardy[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 13, 2018 at 6:45 AM
    TheTripleLindy

TheTripleLindy New Member

Member:
    How does this HU affect the call quality over the mic? If i understand correctly, it has its own mic. Does it echo, muffle driver's voice, etc. I am all in if the mic is worthy

7. Aug 13, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    Mine on the first gen Phoenix works great, bettor than my S8 on speaker, but it could be my Otter case.

8. Aug 13, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    TFT

TFT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    V1 mic is terrible. Other end of call can barely hear me.. I wanted to try to connect to in truck mic, but haven't gotten that far.

Also, texting is not built in. With a WiFi connection I use Mighty text to relay my texts to the HU.

Overall lots if tinkering to get it the way you want. Its plug and play and play and play.

9. Aug 13, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    Not sure if there is a way to turn mic up on the v1, one thing i did do as soon as i got my unit was to make a video of all the stock settings only to protect the unit form myself. Have you also tryed mirroring your phone to the HU?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  10. Aug 13, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    U can downloaded an app called hotspot starter for $1.99 and set the preference in app as turn on the hotspot whenever u connect to your head unit through Bluetooth. It works fine for me.

Dont get the free version. It doesnt work

Devildawg712[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    worth a try Thanks

12. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    TBS

TBS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 CrewMax 4x4 Barcelona Red
    E50 extinguisher, Valhalla Plates, ESP Storage, Chrome Delete, Pwr Tailgate Lock,
    I can second that.
    Hot Spot Starter works great on my GS8+.
    It starts the hotspot when my phone connects to my HU's Bluetooth and turns it off when it disconnects. It's setup and forget it! Well worth the $.
    ~TBS

Fiestee23 likes this.
  13. Aug 13, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Just tried. Im pretty sure im not doing something right. So just download the app on the Head Unit and then run it automatically? I dont have to do anything else? I couldnt find the app priced for 1.99. All I found was the one pictured below for .99 cents I downloaded it and tried running it/ and restarting the truck and even rebooting the system, but the wifi still wouldnt connect when my Bluetooth synced up. :help::frusty: ( i'm using an iphone X )

IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3959.jpg

14. Aug 13, 2018 at 9:59 PM
    Fiestee23

Fiestee23 A CHICK'S TRUCK

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    White sr5 4wd
    Maybe you have tondownload it on your phone?

TFT likes this.
  15. Aug 13, 2018 at 10:00 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Sorry, i should have been more clear. I presumed you have android phone so i asked to download this app in yiur phone which lets u connect your android phone to headunit automatically after BT connects.

This app doesnt exist for iphone. Let me see if there is another way for iphone.

16. Aug 13, 2018 at 10:41 PM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Yea./ thought so. I may make the move eventually. My wife works for Samsung Corporate at Mountain View. I'm just an isheep right now

17. Aug 13, 2018 at 10:44 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    I have been using iphone since the first one came out. While researching this HU somehow transformed to Android. Firt month was frustrating but eventually liked it. I use windows at work so android is a smart choice w windows.

SuperSilverTundra likes this.
  18. Aug 13, 2018 at 10:48 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    So back to square one.

What u think i should order one w knobs or no knobs. I have a first generation but still on the fence
    Shoild i get the knobs or not. It gives it a clean look w no knobs. I dont want all those buttons on the side of the screen which i never used w 1st generation.

19. Aug 13, 2018 at 11:26 PM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I cant speak too much about the model thats supposedly coming out with knobs. Seems to me more ppl are concerned about the ambient color that they'll be emitting than the knobs themselves. The 1st gen had buttons and no knobs IIRC. The facelift from the 2nd gen seemed to be moving in the right direction essentially deleting all the analog features except the hazards and reset. This 2.1 generation, to me, is like that saying 2 steps forward -- one step back. (To each their own tho)

If you're asking me if I could choose between the 1st and 2nd generation, and if the only criteria we are judging is the appearance ( meaning they essentially had the same operating system) , than I'd say the 2nd hands down.

Obviously, the knobby 2.1 model is of-course "newer" so Ive got the ooooh factor, but thats about it.

Hate to say it, but we havent even mastered the 2.0 version yet and now phoenix/ android is introducing a new set of features that could potentially bring a whole new set of problems. Most, if not all of the 2.0 features are software related and can be addressed via updates. Again, new components and added hardware can only mean theres a probability a gremlin could be hiding and waiting underneath someone's button, knob, SOMETHING other than software.

I'm all about the 2nd gen. If the model I had right now had auto hotspot, a better bluetooth microphone and operated via IOS i'd be one happy camper. Already am tho. Just being greedy now.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  20. Aug 14, 2018 at 10:27 PM
    TFT

TFT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    I did, Mirroring works great. I was going to try the Android auto, see if that mirrored well. Thanks.

ZPMAN[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Aug 15, 2018 at 2:25 AM
    Twinky

Twinky Keep the shinny side up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kemah, Texas chillin on my ChrisCraft 480
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    Theres actually a ton of iphone apps that probably have auto profile setups.
    I dont know the specifics of apple apps but from a few of the descriptions there seem to be plenty that are pretty much like androids "tasker".

"Alternatives to tasker" was i google actually.

Heres a few i think will do what yall where talking about.
    - My Profiles
    - Actions
    - Atooma
    - Workflow
    - IFTTT

Sorry of not linking them.

Also, pretty sure last couple android os versions has a built in app found in the setting, the profiles. Has a bunch of triggers and all that other tasker style features. I would also assume all Motorola phones would have a stock one too since they kinda were the ones who developed the first of those utility apps.

Maybe...

Devildawg712[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Aug 15, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    TBS

TBS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 CrewMax 4x4 Barcelona Red
    E50 extinguisher, Valhalla Plates, ESP Storage, Chrome Delete, Pwr Tailgate Lock,
    Anybody know the part numbers for the Hazard switch and the airbag light cover for the 2014-2107 Tundra? I am trying to not take them out of my AC controller to put in the new Android HeadUnit. Yes I know they are easy to take out! I just don't want to remove my original items if I can get some elsewhere. I know a used AC unit cost ~$40 but these have to be cheaper than buying the whole unit. Here are the pics of what I am talking about. The PN for the whole unit is: 55900 or 72387

AC-Unit.jpg

Thanks,
    ~TBS

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  23. Aug 15, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    konzz77

konzz77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    buddy
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    A lot of interesting comments here. I am the one who runs the group buy for this unit. I am the one who runs the group about this unit on face book and am contact with the company daily. Just so everyone knows, there are a few issues with this 2nd version. But, every issue can and will be fixed with an update. Most of the issues that have been experienced so far have been addressed and fixed. And, most of those issues were in the settings. The unit did not have the correct settings for the Tundra. But, they got the engineer out and went through everything and got the settings set correctly. Now, that being said, there might still be a few that were missed. But, we will figure that all out. And, I will report back to them and they will fix it and send out an update. So far, other than post 1477, there has only been one unit that has had real problems. I think it was concluded that there was a bug in the OS. It seems that it is isolated to that one. They have gone over it and did many updates trying to fix it. Most of his issues have been resolved. But, I do believe they are sending him a new unit anyway. If you have questions or want more info on this unit, join the facebook group Toyota Tundra Tesla stlye unit. I try to answer every question that I can. If I dont know the answer, I contact the company and get it for you.

Fiestee23, D3Tundra and Devildawg712 like this.
  24. Aug 15, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I can attest to everything Buddy mentioned. He's been my "go-to" for most if, not all of the speedbumps I've come across ever since I took my unit out of the box. Great guy.

ZPMAN likes this.
  25. Aug 15, 2018 at 1:34 PM
    TundraER

TundraER New Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    I would really like to know if someone can get a viable option working for Android Auto. Let me know how this goes. Likely going in on the group buy, this time around. Hey Buddy, any chance Android Auto will work natively with an update to v2? Any problems with Limited or Platinum trucks?

26. Aug 15, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    sprtbkr

sprtbkr Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 4x4 Double Cab - Inferno
    TRD Wheels & Tires, Double Cab Fold-down Back Seat mod, LED Interior Lighting, Turned Off Seat Belt Chime, Franken-key (Flip Key), Duraliner Bed Liner, Bed Rails, Hood Wind Deflector, Console Gun Safe, iBoard 5" Running Boards, TRD Sport Bed Vinyl, Fortin Evo One Remote Start with Mycar Cellular Module, Plasti-dipped Badges and Bumper End Caps, Tinted front windows, Extang Solid Fold 2.0, Pop-N-Lock, TUNDRA tailgate inserts, RCI Powder Coated Skid Plate - coming soon - 12” android radio, oemaudio+ Reference 500Q, under dash/seat lighting.
    I'm so on the fence about the android group buy.

I really like the looks of it, but I don't want all my vehicle controls on a touch screen. There is a huge safety factor with having physical knobs - you don't have to take your eyes off the road for long to make adjustments to volume, station or climate settings. It might be different if I had climate control in my Tundra, but I have manual settings, and I tweak them frequently. Even though there is a new model available with knobs, the knobs don't control temperature. I also like having my satellite radio, which tunes in no matter where I'm driving - whether there is cell phone service or not. I'm also an Apple fan boy, and there isn't any 2 way mirroring solution for iPhone as of yet.

So I guess I'll probably be sitting this one out.

27. Aug 15, 2018 at 9:47 PM
    N.doyle3

N.doyle3 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Sacramento California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5 5.7 4x2 TRD
    Looking to get this seicane unit for my 08... anyone have any experiance with it?Screenshot_20180815-214435_Chrome.jpg

sprtbkr likes this.
  28. Aug 16, 2018 at 5:53 AM
    sprtbkr

sprtbkr Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 4x4 Double Cab - Inferno
    TRD Wheels & Tires, Double Cab Fold-down Back Seat mod, LED Interior Lighting, Turned Off Seat Belt Chime, Franken-key (Flip Key), Duraliner Bed Liner, Bed Rails, Hood Wind Deflector, Console Gun Safe, iBoard 5" Running Boards, TRD Sport Bed Vinyl, Fortin Evo One Remote Start with Mycar Cellular Module, Plasti-dipped Badges and Bumper End Caps, Tinted front windows, Extang Solid Fold 2.0, Pop-N-Lock, TUNDRA tailgate inserts, RCI Powder Coated Skid Plate - coming soon - 12” android radio, oemaudio+ Reference 500Q, under dash/seat lighting.
  29. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:15 AM
    djkoto

djkoto New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra TRD OFF ROAD
    I am still looking for the newest image of the firmware for 1st gen HU. Anyone???
    I emailed Phoenix more than 3 weeks ago and no response.
    Just piece of advise for everyone buying new units. I love my 1st gen HU unit and might go with the group to replace it with 2nd gen, but if you are hoping for any support from Phoenix after you get, you can forget about it. You are pretty much on your own.

Fiestee23 likes this.
  30. Aug 16, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    N.doyle3

N.doyle3 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Sacramento California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5 5.7 4x2 TRD
    Their latest one isnt comparable with 2nd gen. From what I've seen on their website... 3rd gen only

Products Discussed in

To Top