1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Inferno16, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Jun 14, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    Inferno16

Inferno16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys! I need your professional or similar experience input.
    I have 2016 TRD 4x4 CM. What I am trying to accomplish is this. I plan to keep my stock 18" wheels for now and maybe get larger tires later. It will be for my daily driver, light light off road, pull my 16ft jon boad few times here and there. I live in Texas so we don't have mountains to crawl or anything like that.. So with that said. I am going to buy the following.

*Bilstein 5100 front set at max height (set to get 2.28" according to the manufacture)
    *Bilstein 5100 rear to get balanced feel throughout instead of haft Bilstein and half stock.
    *Coachbuilder +2 shackle in the rear to add 1.25" to get the slight nose slope to get the aggressive look.
    *Coachbuilder Bushing (David recommended)
    *Coachbuilder 1 shim for front left (driver side) to get full balance L & R height (David redommended)

Am I on the right track or do I need to modify the purchase?

2. Jun 14, 2016 at 9:43 AM
    Inferno16

Member:
    I gues stock is also bilstein but you get the point...

3. Jun 14, 2016 at 9:43 AM
    Nor7

Nor7 Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM, 5.7L
    I'm by no means an expert but I've tinkered with this on a previous truck.

1) I did a block under rear spring leafs and it worked out pretty good, it was solid so I never had to worry about it. Haven't looked into the shackles but haven't heard anything bad (will have to defer to others).
    2) Recommend you replace the springs in front at the same time you do the Bilstein (if you're getting the set that comes with new springs then disregard).
    3) New springs should balance you left and right so you may not need the shims.
    4) Some say you should lower your rear diff., some say that unless you're going over 3" you don't need to. My advice would be to drop the diff, you'll see when you're lifting the rear how it shifts everything back there slightly b/c you're changing the angel.

5) Welcome to the site, I live in Texas as well. If you're going to do this yourself you're welcome to borrow any tools I have. (FYI: an extra jack, a bottle jack and set of jack stands helps tremendously)

4. Jun 14, 2016 at 9:46 AM
    Nor7

Nor7 Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Don't forget to get an alignment after and be prepared to need an alignment like every time you need an oil change. Also, the MPG on my previous truck plummeted after I put 3" in the front and 1" in the rear but I've heard Tundras aren't as dramatically affected.

5. Jun 14, 2016 at 9:51 AM
    Inferno16

Member:
    Hey Nor7. Thanks for your input. I spoke to so many folks and although block is not a bad idea they said it can eventually hurt or damage the leaf or what not.. And the bumps are a bit more harsh. As for the Bilstein 5100, I planned on this shocks because you can use the OEM springs. My truch has 1500 miles and practically new, I was told that it's perfectly fine to use them. I spoke to David at Couchbuilder and he stated that since I am not exceeding the max recommeded height, I shouldn't have to worry about diff getting stressed. Also there's been a lot of chatter about front left leaning approx .25 -.5" lower due to battery and other components including the driver weighing it down. Again, I am not planning to go off roading or do harsh pulls, etc..
    And Thanks for the offer. I live near Lewisville. we should start a truck and coffee sometimes....

6. Jun 14, 2016 at 9:52 AM
    Inferno16

Member:
    Crap. Yeah...... Alignment on tundra's are not so great. I hit a road debre and threw out the rear...

7. Jun 14, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    Nor7

Nor7 Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Good stuff. Well then I'd say the only thing missing from your purchase list is a case of beer.

Oh and I wouldn't put too much stock what they're telling you about the blocks. They're trying to sell you their shackles. My previous truck came with a stock 1" block from the factory and they seem to contact the springs the same as the pad on the axle.

8. Jun 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    You can't go wrong with Coachbuilder's stuff. His makes some first class items for our trucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top