1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternative Materials for Sound Control

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Professional Hand Model, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Nov 16, 2018 at 3:42 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model [OP] A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Pictured is a roll of HVAC Foil Tape and a separate roll of Butyl Rubber Door and Window Tape. Both from big box.

Looks like it should do the trick compared with some of the online ‘Sound Control Mats’ out there. Its free and available and will be installed around speakers for better sound.

Whatcha think?

upload_2018-11-16_18-40-4.jpg

OBXTundra and Mountun Goat like this.
  2. Nov 16, 2018 at 3:54 PM
    Rob371

Rob371 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Crewmax
    Steel bumpers front and rear,1.4" bilstien, KatSkinz Leather, rear airbags, halos.
  3. Nov 16, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Now if it doesnt work I would hate getting stuck taking all that off lol

4. Nov 16, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Don't use anything with an asphalt base or any kind of tar, itll melt and stink in the summer. There is a duct insulation by frost king that is foam and foil. Many tout it as a cheap alternative to sound deadening tiles. I got some and used it in a few places but it does not compare to the real stuff. Its very light weight. It helps a little with vibrations but it's not as good at killing noise.
    Check out noico sound deadening on Amazon. Its good stuff. But that kinda stuff like dynamat is only one step to kill noise. You only need to apply it to about 25% of thin flat surfaces to deaden vibrations and rattles. After that you need foam, mass loaded vinyl or lead sheets, sound insulation, and all kinda of other stuff.
    Check out sound deadening showdown.com it's got some really good info

5. Nov 16, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
  6. Nov 16, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Here's the frost king stuff. I would recommend using this in addition to the real stuff like cld tiles, mass loaded vinyl, and foam. What blocks sound is mass. So light weight insulation isn't the best thing. Lead sheets are probably best, but that's expensive and very laborious, that's were the MLV comes into play. They have it in 1 or 2 lbs per sq ft. Its heavy stuff and works well
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov&cshid=1542415225220

7. Nov 16, 2018 at 4:50 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors

I was reading your sound project yesterday and it renewed some interest I had in doing the same thing a few years back but never did. This pictured material is thick butyl rubber and doesn’t stink. The tape is thick aluminum. Both hold up to heat pretty well.

Thought I’d give it a go on the back doors first as they are easier to remove the paneling and put back. Not interested in doing the entire cabin like you and others have done as its too much work for my taste! Plus, it seems small strategic locations are the key. Just looking to experiment with free materials that look to be the same as these ‘Sound Mats’ that cost big$.

Next step is calling in a favor for some free mass loaded vinyl rolls from someone that holding. Been waiting for the right timing.

8. Nov 16, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    I’ve worked with this MLV before and it is HEAVY! I‘ll do this butyl rubber/foil thing first and see how it goes. You probs know this already, but rock wool works very good as a deadener. Put it in my home attic and couldn’t sleep because it was so quiet afterwards. Big box has some batts for $40-50. The best are the rigid squares, but not paying $160 with shipping!

9. Nov 16, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    As long as its butyl and not a tar base you should be good to go. You'redefinitely right about getting it in the strategic areas, that's the key. Applying it everywhere is a waste.

That's pretty sweet you've got a hookup on some MLV!!! Definitely jump on that when you can. I will look into the rock wool stuff, I want something good up in the firewall area when and if I ever get to that spot to sound deaden.
    Thanks for the info!

10. Nov 16, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    This site was bery informative. Thank you. I only question I have is what exactly is this ‘CDL Tile’ that they sell? They mention butyl and foil. My guess is its just as I’ve mentioned above in my pics. The MLV sheets are a different animal and that bridge will be crossed eventually.

I like how that above site you posted gives you a nice materials list.

11. Nov 16, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    CLD tiles are just the heavy deadening tiles or sheets like dynamat.

12. Nov 16, 2018 at 6:05 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Watched a vid from that link you posted. This stuff I have is the same butyl thickness and weight. The foil looks thicker on the vid than the HVAC tape I have, but not by much. I can always double up on it if need be.

My back doors will be easy. Same with the back underseat storage area and front center console. Inside the front dash is easy as well. As far as the front doors, may just do the inside of the door pocket wells down low. Don’t want to mess with taking those door panels apart. Not messing with removing carpet/cab skin either. Keeping it simple. 2 hours max.

Some of these guys spent 40 hours on theirs. Looks like maybe you did on yours too. I’d go nuts!

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Nov 16, 2018 at 6:43 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like you have a good plan. Yeah I took more time than I wanted, and I'm still not done.the door panels actually pop off easy and you can easily stick a few pieces on the outer skin, and inner skin, half hour or door no problem. The foam and MLV took up the majority of my time. If you do pull the panels, and have chrome interior door handles, its a great time to switch them over to black, takes 4 minutes to do.
    Get yourself a good roller for the butyl /foil tape, you won't regret it and your fingers with thank you. And they're like $8.
    I spent about 4 hours on the doors and 6 hours on the back wall and floor. I still need to do the front floors and firewall/dash which I'm figuring to be 6 hours. Then maybe and I me maybe, I'll do the roof some day but that daunting to me.

14. Nov 18, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Installed Homemade Sound Enhancing Butyl Rubber with Foil strips on the back doors. Also added some packing foam blocks from a delivery box inside what little cavity space is inside these doors. Took about an hour. The stereo sounds so much better now! Clearer and deeper sounds.

Maybe a little quieter as far as road noise. Just a little. The music, though, is amazingly better. I can’t wait to do the front doors.

Probably will not do mass loaded vinyl as it adds weight and there really isn’t much room in these doors do add it. Happy with the results so far. Front doors will take some time to do in the future. Here are the materials I used.

Used some door and window peel and stick butyl rubber and taped some HVAC heavy foil on top of it. Cut them into strips and then into small manageable pieces for install. Tip: If its cold out use a blow dryer to heat the rubber and stuff them into your pocket to keep warm as you do the install. Helps with the sticky factor.

upload_2018-11-18_15-55-17.jpg

upload_2018-11-18_15-55-35.jpg

15. Nov 18, 2018 at 12:57 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    upload_2018-11-18_15-56-29.jpg

upload_2018-11-18_15-56-51.jpg

Attached Files:

Pudge likes this.
  16. Nov 18, 2018 at 12:58 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Threw some blocks of shipping foam in too.

upload_2018-11-18_15-58-20.jpg

17. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:13 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    In small amounts it should be okay. I have seen horrible results from roofing tar though, glad that isn't what you are using.

18. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Hell yeah man that looks great!! Glad to hear the music sounds better too. Amazing what a difference just killing a few vibes and rattles can make.

19. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Ice and Water Shield. Not gonna happen.

Darkness[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Yep. These 1st Gens do have many rattles compared to the following Gens. Two buddys have the later models and they complain about the noises.

I think the rubber focuses the music sound better. I’ll report back on sound control from road noise as its driven more. The stereo was an instant improvement.

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Also, thanks for that link to that sound site. I give that guy credit for how I went about placing the rubber pieces. He gave good picture instructions on how to diy.

Darkness and Pudge[QUOTED] like this.
  22. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Of course! I'm glad it working out. That website has some killer ideas, even using a few of them here and there will help alot

23. Nov 18, 2018 at 3:11 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I have a funny buzz that comes from the passenger front door, the panel flaps right under the speaker. I need to deal with that soon.

24. Nov 19, 2018 at 3:28 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Ps3udonymous Who is the smart ass that changed the title?

Member:
    I used the HVAC foil in my old corolla. It helped with vibrations while driving, and slightly helped deaden noise. That was with all four doors, the whole bottom of car under the tile. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made had I done the ceiling part.

25. Nov 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Update: Stereo sounds amazingly clearer. Deeper basses and truer notes. I gotta do the front doors now. Can only imaging the improvement.

As far as road noise, its a little quieter.

The main improvement is huge on the stereo sound side though.

26. Nov 20, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I used the Noico 80mm mat from Amazon. very happy with it and easy to install

Products Discussed in

To Top