1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alpharex USA headlights

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by TheBeast, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Jan 8, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    cygan1008

cygan1008 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    “RIP” 2013 Tundra TRD Rock Warrior, 2018 TRD SPORT CM 4x4 SUPER WHITE Eibach Pro 2.0 275/65/20 Recon Grapplers
    I prefer the white drls. I just saw the new posting for them now with the option of amber or white drl... but it “requires” new units because of blah blah whatever. It was hard enough for me to convince my self to buy them on a black friday deal, im definitely not about to drop any more $ on a new set just to have amber.

2. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:09 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    yeah because when I initially installed them I had my ambers on. when I went to look at headlights the DRL was not real bright. I then figured out that was the reason they were dim. I really like the look of them sequoia headlights. I am also really digging the new amber Morimotos. They might be my next set.

3. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:11 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    :popcorn:

Nemesis[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:23 AM
    Beau

Beau De gustibus non est disputandum

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sequoia with a 2022 style
    I LOVE the new sequoias. To me, they are by far the most modern looking lights offered for our trucks.
    IMG_4691.jpg

toyofan87 and MTRock like this.
  5. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Agreed! :thumbsup:

6. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

Member:
    If I owned a Sequoia I'd probably sport those headlights too. ;)

Hey, did the grill come with or did you have to order separately? I want that exact grill on my TT.

7. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    Beau

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Vehicle:
    I bought it directly from China before they Toyota offered the OEM TRD Pro grill. I have seen them pop up on eBay as well. If you check out my build thread, I have pics of the way the grill was when it arrived. I had the surround painted at the local paint shop. Here is the link to alibaba, where I bought it.
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.52319ba266Yj4K

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Nemesis[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 9, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    davids_1718

davids_1718 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 blizzard pearl platinum sequoia
    Alpharex nova gen 2 headlight Diode Dynamic ss3 pro fogs Dasaita head unit Blacked out interior silver panels Color matched rain visors, bug shield and oem fender flares AFE cold air Dirty Deeds 8" catback system

9. Jan 9, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    davids_1718

davids_1718 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Alpharex nova gen 2 headlight Diode Dynamic ss3 pro fogs Dasaita head unit Blacked out interior silver panels Color matched rain visors, bug shield and oem fender flares AFE cold air Dirty Deeds 8" catback system
    I know but $900 for headlights is a lil too much for my budget.

10. Jan 9, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    davids_1718

davids_1718 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:

I am in no means capable of trouble shooting that mod. These lights seem a little complicated for me to do so. Looks like no one can figure out the all time bright drl. I hope someone figures this out and shares.

11. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:25 PM
    DRIFTSC

DRIFTSC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    Based on the set that I received and the comment from davids_1718 saying that pro with sequential turn signals should be available soon, I would recommend waiting to buy until the feature is officially available. I'm grasping at straws with the small amount of evidence, so you decide what's best for you.

I expect that the LEDs are controlled by a microcontroller which would require software to change the behavior. I'm making this judgement based off of the sequential nature of the DRL activation and turn signal functions. This behavior is easier to implement in software than in hardware. I don't see any way to swap wiring on the truck to change to amber DRLs. It is also unlikely that swapping wires to change the color is possible, because it is likely an electronic signal sent through the wires that is important, not the wire itself.
    These are just my opinions, I haven't opened mine up to inspect. If anyone has a broken one that they want to send me......

I thought that another user implied that unplugging the amber side marker would allow the DRLs to stay bright even with the headlights on. I haven't tested this with my set, can anyone confirm?

12. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    Rube207

Rube207 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica Limited CM
    Sequoia headlights fit 2nd gen tundras as well.

toyofan87 and Nemesis[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Jan 9, 2021 at 10:31 PM
    Beau

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Vehicle:
    There is no way to keep the DRLs bright when the headlights switch on. It's an internal circuit board thing. WhenI had my Alpharexs, I confirmed this with the company.

14. Jan 9, 2021 at 11:10 PM
    DRIFTSC

DRIFTSC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    Alpharex is telling other Tundras members that my headlights don't exist, so you can understand my skepticism.

I agree with your assessment many pages back that the difference in DRL brightness is difficult to tell by eye. I had to use my phone video to confirm, but on my headlights, the DRL stays "bright" when the side marker is unplugged.

Update:
    I decided that the difference in brightness wasn't enough reason keep the side marker unplugged.

I also noticed some weirdness about how the light behaved, such as the DRL turning off when I removed the key even though the headlights were still on.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    MTRock likes this.
  15. Jan 11, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    Rockin 2nd Gen

Rockin 2nd Gen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    5" lift 20x12 fuel with 35" nitto ridge graplers. Full led and secaine 9" android head unit.
    I have had several discussions with AlphaRex in the past week regarding their pro series headlights. I have shown them proof that they have sold pros with the sequential turn signal ability ( not activation sequence ) They are hiding the fact their Chineese manufacturers are trying to push us into paying $1,000 for throw away Novas. They have acknowledged they are conceding and will implement this feature in the pros but will not give a time frame, more smoke i imagine. The only way we the consumer are going to get what we want is to communicate to the vendors what we are willing to pay for and what we want as an end user. Speak up Guys.

16. Jan 11, 2021 at 5:32 AM
    Rockin 2nd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    5" lift 20x12 fuel with 35" nitto ridge graplers. Full led and secaine 9" android head unit.
    Yeah i agree, I am trying to wrestle out of them when that will tentatively be, but you know how this goes. They tried to talk me into buying the sealed unit and i ask them if they were going to upgrade their warranty to 5 years or pay my ticket when one burns out. The reply was they are working on extending the warranty to 5 years. Again no time frame.
    Appreciate the responses on this its aggravating.

17. Jan 12, 2021 at 2:46 PM
    TrexTundra

TrexTundra Live Free or Die Tryin

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Platinum
    **Work in progress** 3/1 Procomp Nitro leveling kit 285/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers 18x9 Black Fuel Vapors +1 offset Led Headlight/fog lights Will be removing chrome and Plastidip black
    looking at getting these for my 2017 Platinum. Are these truly plug and play as they say? The ones I’m looking at say they fit with minor modifications and not sure what that means. I’m looking at these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08PJPVKJX/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1N9I2RC0NN4CX&psc=1

18. Jan 12, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    DRIFTSC

DRIFTSC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    We're in the second gen forum, and these headlights seem to be way more popular here than on the third gen.

Mine were plug and play for the second gen. Swapping the halogen bulb to a LED required a small modification. Not sure how that translates over to your truck since mine isn't that fancy

Edit:
    I think the modification for the new trucks is related to the factory LED DRL. If your truck has factory LED DRLs, then you would need a different flasher. That might look like this: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/14-20-tundra-drl-delete-relay?quantity=1

I'm just trying to point you in the right direction because my truck is a second gen... You could also contact Alpharex, I've heard they're most responsive on Facebook and Instagram.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  19. Jan 12, 2021 at 4:30 PM
    TrexTundra

TrexTundra Live Free or Die Tryin

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Platinum
    **Work in progress** 3/1 Procomp Nitro leveling kit 285/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers 18x9 Black Fuel Vapors +1 offset Led Headlight/fog lights Will be removing chrome and Plastidip black
    My apologies I didn’t know I was in a 2nd gen thread but really appreciate your help!

20. Jan 12, 2021 at 9:21 PM
    Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

Member:
    Received my Nova Series yesterday, opened and installed it today.

I had a difficult time connecting the amber side marker wire to the female plug. Had to use pliers to squeeze it in. Highbeam connectors also wouldn't fully connect (couldn't make it click in place). Came back to this thread and re-read every post and the advice was to spread out the pins and make sure they weren't bent from previous attempts. Once I spread the pins sure enough it clicked in place.

Then I read the part where you're supposed to twist in the side marker plug once you've connected it. Duh! Great, I need to remove the headlights again. Guess I'll take that opportunity to double-check install, level the headlight beam, and tidy up the wiring a bit.

Overall, I love the headlights! Can't wait to test them out after I install my fog lights and install aftermarket tail lights. I can't believe I waited for 12 yrs to upgrade parts, but kinda glad I did. Cuz there are so many options and better products out now than before.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and help.

rons23 and MTRock like this.
  21. Jan 13, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

Member:
    I adjusted my headlights from 25-30 ft and I thought I read somewhere that the height of the beam should be 39" from the ground. Is this correct?

I leveled mine to 37" from the ground 27 ft away. Seems a bit high. I drove tonight around the neighborhood and I couldn't find any drivers. So I measured the beam against parked cars and the beam seems to hit right at the height of their trunks (compact cars, to mini-suvs, to crossovers). Am I good?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  22. Jan 13, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    I didn't measure up the 39" I pulled right up on my garage door and made my marks. then backed up 30' and aligned them. I am not getting any flashes, but with my SS3 Fogs, I think I am gonna cheat them up just a little, and pull a measurement then. If your good and you have no one flashing you, I would leave them alone. The only reason I am going to re-adjust is the SS3's are so damn bright. I don't even need my high beams at all other than flashing a ASSHAT that won't dim his highs

23. Jan 13, 2021 at 9:54 PM
    Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

Member:
    Just came back from a drive and again hardly any driver's on the streets. It's amazing how bright these LEDs are. They're so bright they would light up street signs as if I had my high beams on. But once I came behind a compact car at a stop sign, the beam light was slightly over his trunk and when he pulled 30 ft away the beamline remained leveled to his trunk.

So yeah, I think I'll leave it for now. Though I may tinker with the horizontal line.

Man, I love these headlights!!!

MTRock and rons23[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Jan 14, 2021 at 12:01 AM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    X2!!

25. Jan 15, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    Rockin 2nd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    Im so confused on the AlphaRex Pro series. So as shown earlier in this thread there are some guys who have the pro with sequential turn signal. I have included 2 conversations one from AlphaRex directly stating none of the pro have this option only startup activation. Then a distributor who says yes they do. I want to pull my hair out as i really want to purchase but i wont unless it has sequential turn signal option. I do not like the sealed units and want to swap out the halogen bulb for my s-v4

Screenshot_20210115-065329_Yahoo Mail.jpg 20210115_063604.jpg

26. Jan 15, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Hey Jay, it looks like the sequential turn signal option is on the 3rd Gens only. And for a price of nearly $700, you might as well go up to the Nova. I know you said you don't want a sealed unit, but you have no need to change out the bulbs on the Nova, even if you could. They are super bright.
    Another option, but also a sealed unit. Toyota Tundra (07-13): Plug-N-Play XB LED Headlights (morimotohid.com)

TrexTundra likes this.
  27. Jan 15, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    Rockin 2nd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    Well that makes a little more sense but still i have seen them in videos for 2nd gen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qVHh4EGR58&feature=youtu.be

This is a second Gen Tundra with AlphaRex Pro housings. I have 2 reasons i do not want sealed units though most newer vehicles are doing this. The factory sealed leds are suppose to last the life of the vehicle except for a crash. These aftermarkets are not the same build quality. Morimoto offers a 5 year warranty and AlphaRex a 2 year.
    I would like the ability to change my low beam to keep from getting ticketed if one goes out.
    Secondly i have $400 in Led lights in the factory housings currently.

This is why i am desperately seeking information on where these Pro's are that have the sequential turn signal. I could care less about the activation sequence.

Thank you all for the information. PS Alpha did say they are working on implimenting this feature on the pro but didnt say when.

28. Jan 15, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

Member:
    Good points.

I suppose if and when they go out I'll tinker with the housing and see if I can install other lights. Or possibly purchase the Pros. But by then I'll have racked up enough rewards either through work or credit cards that the purchase or replacement will be free.

29. Jan 15, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    Rockin 2nd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    You cant replace them unless you are an expert. They are soldered onto a motherboard.

30. Jan 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

Member:
    What I meant by replacing is to replace the entire headlight assembly with another or the same, or just take out the LEDs and MacGyver the hell outta them and install different headlight bulbs.

Products Discussed in

To Top