1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment specs: lifted vs stock

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by AxelsHumanDad, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Jan 13, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad [OP] I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    KAIG, NW of The Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    Simple question: Do the baseline alignment numbers change when lifted?

I have a nuisance alignment issue and the dealer said “They don’t provide alignment specs with the lift kit.”
    Wouldn’t the numbers be the same as stock?

2014 Crewmax, ProComp 7” stage 1 lift, 35” Nitto Trail Grapplers.

The lift was installed on the truck by the dealer when I bought it new. I drove it on a 3 state vacation, 12 hours each way, with no complaints at all- straight as an arrow. After vacation I went back to the dealer to have the faulty TPMS resolved. A few days later I noticed two separate but possibly related alignment issues.(I seldom drive the truck, it isn’t my primary vehicle)

On a straight level road with good pavement, if I let go of the steering wheel, eventually the truck will drift left over the yellow lines. By eventually I’d say counting slowly out loud maybe “one thousand five” to “one thousand ten”. This might be a result of the other issue I have that I might describe as ‘sticking’. When going around a long sweeping left hand curve, if I let go of the steering wheel, the truck will follow the yellow line. When going around a long sweeping right hand curve, if I let go of the steering wheel, the wheels will attempt to return to center and the truck will move toward the yellow line. Every vehicle I have owned had at least some return to center effect, but this one only does it from the right. That’s why I say it is like ‘sticking’- it doesn’t self-center from the left as freely as from the right. I don’t feel any binding or any unusual feeling in the steering. It just doesn’t feel right.

My last visit to the dealer had them tinker with the alignment a bit. The drift to the left seems better, but the lazy left curve is still there. Before I drove off they told me two things: There will always be a little pull to the left, and they have no alignment numbers for the lift. Their approach to getting the alignment right is adjust it on the rack, take it out and drive it, go back to the rack if it doesn’t feel right.

I disagree that it should always pull a little to the left. My company all-wheel drive van doesn’t do it, my girlfriend’s front wheel drive car doesn’t do it, the previous company four wheel drive pickup didn’t do it, etc. The Tundra went straight for 12+12 hours when I first got it. Considering the drift left might now be gone, what should I be looking at for the lazy left steering?

Mike

2. Jan 13, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    You should always try to get back within stock specs. Sometimes the new lift setup doesn't allow for this. If not it may require an upper control arm change to get it closer. Some of the larger lifts come with the new upper control arms with the kit for this reason. The mfg website of the lift might have the best alignment info. Searching google may also bring up some information from others with recommendations on different angles. Important one is caster angle.

Besides alignment, tires can have a big affect on the steering and drifting.

3. Jan 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM
    FunkinTundra

FunkinTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 5.7 CM
    OME614 full suspension\ Ekstrom design 3" shackles and poly bushing kit\ 295/70r18 Toyo MTs/ +20 offset Fuel Anzas\ 8" BAmuffler....etc...
  4. Jan 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM
    AxelsHumanDad

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
  5. Jan 14, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    FunkinTundra

FunkinTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 5.7 CM
    OME614 full suspension\ Ekstrom design 3" shackles and poly bushing kit\ 295/70r18 Toyo MTs/ +20 offset Fuel Anzas\ 8" BAmuffler....etc...
    Figured you'd run into that in your search:) These things are a tricky beast trying to get them back to stock after lifting....

6. Jan 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    AxelsHumanDad

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    I've printed SoCal's numbers on the back of the printout the dealer gave me. I'm going to hand it back to them and say this is what we want. :thumbsup:

The alignment adjustment so far brought out a little tire rub that wasn't there before. <sigh>
    I guess I'll have to wait until the alignment is spot on and then go to work on that pesky front inner fender liner.

7. Apr 28, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    Les7311

Les7311 Look up, what do you see

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue Tundra TRD 4x4
    Scribed

Products Discussed in

To Top