1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment on 2012 tundra at home

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by matt@texas, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Nov 20, 2015 at 5:02 PM
    matt@texas

matt@texas [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 tundra
    ome 3 inch
    Hey how many adjustments are there on front end of 2012 tundra. Put on lift and it's crazy out of line. Any help?

2. Nov 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    flynbyu2

flynbyu2 I'm your huckleberry...

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CrewMax 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 50 / Dual In - Dual Out Exhaust BakFlipG2 Tonneau Cover TRD Rear Sway Bar
    Caster, Camber & Toe In adjustments.
    Impossible to do without an alignment rack though...

3. Nov 20, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yep, last thing you need to do is mess with that stuff without an alignment rack. Go pay the money and have it done right.

4. Nov 20, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Just have a reputable shop do it the right way.

5. Nov 20, 2015 at 9:37 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Agree with others. Alignment by professional is needed after you do a lift. You are pushing the control arms down and changing angles.

6. Nov 21, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
  7. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:27 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    After watching Jace, @LOTSOFTOYS perform my alignment, there is no way in hell I'd attempt it my self. Can't beat computer/laser combo alignment IMO. Back in the day things were much different. The new alignment test systems make it much better for the techs to get a near perfect alignment.

8. Nov 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    When is the last time the machine was calibrated? When is the last time it was checked for level? I've taken my truck to two alignment shops in the same day, only driving from one to the next and had two very different numbers. Technology is only as good as its upkeep and the tech doing the work. Jace is awesome at what he does on an alignment machine, but his breed are few and far between. Finding another Jace in whatever city you live in is like finding a needle in a haystack. I gave up on that and just started doing it myself. I've also bought longacre toe plates with tapes that go to 1/32 of an inch since I wrote the article, which greatly reduce the time and accuracy on toe resets. In addition, the definition of "perfect" range from person to person. Jace has actually listened to some of my recommendations on those looking for better off-road manners. I'm not trying to convince anyone who wants to pay for an alignment to continue to do so. But by the same token, those who pay for an alignment shouldn't be ditracting those who have the capacity and capability to do it on their own. It's equivalent to saying you should pay a "professional" to lift your truck instead of doing it yourself. Each to their own. My tires wear perfectly and I get the handling manners I want, not what someone tells me I want.

Black Wolf likes this.
  9. Nov 21, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Jason has alot of good points. Our machines are calibrated and leveled once every 2 months or so. Along with that, all machines have different software/Lazer angles, light distribution... so many contributing factors.

As for the OP, Jason has a kick ass wrote up on tw on how to perform an at home alignment. Many many people have had success using it. If you are motivated and understand fully alignment angles and how to adjust them, I'd say give it a shot. Would save u alot of money if u can master it...

If that doesn't sound like your thing, bring it in somewhere that understands lifted trucks. Jason has helped me learn more than the standard duck. There's alot more to a alignment than "spec" or "green". Then you throw the offroad handling aspect into it, now about 10 percent if that alignment techs knows what works and what doesnt.

jberry813 likes this.
  10. Nov 21, 2015 at 11:54 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    We could do a "Go Fund Me" for Jace so we can fly him to different Toyota dealers to align members trucks. Seriously, for those members who happen to live close to each other, why not chip in on all the necessary home alignment tools and get together and do your own alignments and post how it went for those who want to do their own alignment. Especially if we can't fly Jace in to your home town. :cookiemonster:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  11. Nov 21, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Bahahaha an on call alignment tech. That's funny

Products Discussed in