1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Airbags and towing

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by MikeS., Feb 5, 2014.

1. Feb 5, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    MikeS.

MikeS. [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Tundra TRD off road pkg.
    I bought this on 1/12/14 and have added a code alarm remote start, an Alpine head unit with Nav and a backup camera.
    I recently bought a Tundra to tow my 63 Burb on a dbll axle trailer. The truck has the tow package and seems pretty well setup. A good friend suggested I add air bags to the rear to level the truck and help control trailer sway.

Does this sound right? He has me looking at the AirLift5000 setup.

2. Feb 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    It probably couldn't hurt, but with the proper shocks I would like to think you are ok without it.

3. Feb 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Many!
    Do you squat pretty bad with the trailer on there? and do you feel like trailer sway has been an issue? If you answer yes to either of those airbags might not be a bad idea. If you answer no to both, then I would save your money for something better.

Another question would be, do you tow often enough to justify the airbags as well?

4. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:23 AM
    MikeS.

MikeS. [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    I bought this on 1/12/14 and have added a code alarm remote start, an Alpine head unit with Nav and a backup camera.
    I haven't bought a trailer yet so I don't know. When I start this Spring I'll be doing some long trips, including cross country. So I want to be as prepared as I can be.

5. Feb 7, 2014 at 4:27 AM
    Bang Bang

Bang Bang Age is a state of mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '14 Magnetic Grey Metallic SR5 CM 5.7 LA Edition
    I have been debating the airbag thing also. From what I have gathered they would help with sag in the rear but aren't going to do much for sway and will not increase the weights that you can tow or haul. For sway you would be better getting a WD hitch and to tow / haul more you would need to beef up the suspension. I am picking up a 20ft double axle car hauler in about 3 weeks to haul my FJ40 with. I want to take one or two trips before I decide if I NEED anything added. Eventually I know I will need something (probably bags) because I plan to go to a 24'+ bumper pull trailer so I can haul more gear. Only time will tell.

Keep us posted on what you do and your results.

6. Feb 9, 2014 at 4:16 AM
    MikeS.

MikeS. [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    Keep us posted on what you do and your results.

Will do.

7. Mar 17, 2015 at 1:17 AM
    Rkcruza

Rkcruza New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra AC 4WD TRD OR SR5
    De Badged / Decaled, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, 17" Rims, Big Brake kit w/ slotted & drilled rotors, plus lots of work related stuff.
    Have 10k+ miles towing an FJ40 on a 16ft Carson Flatbed Trailer. 1st Gen TRD OR V-8 Auto with air bags set at about 30psi and one of those friction type sway controls and a standard ball hitch (we cheated into the local CHP Scales when it was closed and played with position on the trailer to get the tongue weight right then always set it to the same mark on the trailer). Have also towed a 17ft travel trailer quite a bit but use a WD hitch with the same sway control as you can't easily adjust tongue weight on the Travel Trailer. Also had dual axle electric brakes on the trailer and a big brake kit with drilled and slotted rotors on the Tundra.

8. Mar 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    A badly squatting truck can make the steering "squirrelly" (a highly technical term I learned from my dad); characterized by wandering and a tendency to oscillate on relatively minor steering corrections. This can lead to dangerous sway.

Tow a couple times with your intended load and THEN make the decision. That said, I have the firestone air-bags coupled with an Air Lift auto-leveling setup. It pulls our 2 draft-horse (read 2000 lb. each) laden trailer like its on rails.

csuviper likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top