1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Fresheners causing door lock actuator failure?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by csuviper, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Mar 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM
    csuviper

csuviper [OP] Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Posted on Facebook by Geoffrey B.

"TSA (Tundra Service Announcement).
    So there has been a few cases here at the dealership where we have been getting numerous Toyota models with multiple door lock actuator (the motor that unlocks and locks your doors) failures within one vehicle over a very short amount of time of each other.

We've been diagnosing these and we have not been finding any cause for failure. The actuators just simply stop working for no apparent reason.

We began to call the Toyota Tech hotline (technical assistance for technicians) because we were stumped. The engineers specifically asked us "we've seen this before. Does the customers vehicle have the clip in air fresheners that stick inside the vent?" I was skeptical as to why they asked that. But I still checked and found three clip in air fresheners and a 10 pack in the glove box.
    I tell the engineers and they said
    "ok, that's your root cause of failure."

Me; "really? How would and air freshener cause an electrical motor to fail?"

Engineer: "specifically clip in air fresheners yield a large amount of the chemical Silicone within them. Silicone is a very powerful electrical insulator (creates very resistance in electrical connections). The vapors from the fresheners get inside the door panels over time and coat the electrical connections with silicone causing the motor to fail."

So I'm understanding what this guy is laying down but I was still hesitant to fully believe him. I discussed this with my fellow technicians and we have been noticing a trend with door lock actuator failure and these air fresheners.

I just got a 2012 Avalon with 76,000 miles on it and it has 3 failed door lock actuators with no root cause for failure. But guess what I found in the air vents? These bad boys. This is the third vehicle I've had that had multiple door lock actuator failures and I inspected and found these air fresheners.

I'm not saying don't buy these. But a door lock actuator replacement at the dealer is over $300.00 per door lock actuator.

Just giving ya'll a heads up."

Let the discussion begin....

jtwags and 15whtrd like this.
  2. Mar 11, 2016 at 10:26 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    "Just so you guys know. We aren't being informed to void an electrical warranty for this issue. We your truck is still under warranty we will be replacing these for free. The engineers are just implying that these door lock actuators seem to be highly susceptible to failure due to a silicone coating on the electrical connections. And there may be a relation to these air fresheners. I'm sure they are working on how to update these parts so this doesn't happen."

3. Mar 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM
    robie56

robie56 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 white cm rock warrior
    mbrp exhaust, afe dropin filter, stubby antenna, Readylift leveling kit, ICI magnum RT sidesteps, weather techs front & rear
    Didnt see that one coming! I never would have guessed air freshener as a root cause for electrical failures. Gonna go out and remove the 1 in my truck right now! Thanks

4. Mar 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Ok let me get this straight.

The actuator is not Sealed ( or vapors can't get into the actuator) and it's in a moist location and some how it's getting thru the vapor barrier in the door which is not Sealed mind you in that part of the door where the actuator rests.

Ok if this is the case then ecms ( not Sealed) and door control modules( not Sealed) would fail first to do the close proximity from the air fresher to component failure along with radio failure (CD mechanical failure reading or loading)

I get what the engineer is saying he is correct. Closer things to the fresher should be failing first. Theory anyway. But it doesn't rule out a bad design either. If this was the case ford, GM and everyone else would be posting about this also. Just saying.

5. Mar 11, 2016 at 11:42 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Odd, but ok.

6. Mar 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    April fools!!!! Oh wait... Still March.

7. Mar 11, 2016 at 12:30 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Where did u get this info Brian? @csuviper

8. Mar 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Someone posted on TundraCrew.

9. Mar 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    I don't get it. If the insulating silicone coating is from the outside, why would that hinder conduction of the wire? Moreover, how is that related to the motor failure?

If what they claimed were the case, I would think the front actuators would fail more frequently than the rear ones. Is that actually the case? (I don't have the info, but nothing seems to indicate that's the case).

I've been using these bad boys for years now without an issue. Do I have a special truck?

10. Mar 11, 2016 at 12:57 PM
    alalmcgrath

alalmcgrath Old Fart at Large!

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 SEQUOIA SR5
    None yet
    The ecm (and probably door module) do no have switches or possibly brushes that make and break contacts. The contacts get coated and can't make a connection.

11. Mar 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    You have door switches and dash switches that make a break contacts that are in more proximity to the source they are not affected? I smell bad design somewhere. Just saying.

12. Mar 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Not to mention that if this were legit, the entire interior of the vehicle would have a silicone film. Steering wheel, windows, gauges, you. Then, as mentioned, the contacts in the headlamp switch, turn signal, wipers....

Need more evidence.

13. Mar 11, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I'm definitely not convinced... seeing part was made in Mexico tells me alot:)

14. Mar 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM
    Nor7

Nor7 Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM, 5.7L
    Can you provide a pic of the fresheners or brand or name? I'm assuming you're talking about the long ones that stick way inside the vent? I have a Glad freshener that clips to the vent but I doubt is causing an issue.

15. Mar 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    I have no idea. Just found the post on Facebook and thought it would be a good topic to debate.

16. Apr 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    So Cal Tony

So Cal Tony New Member

Member:
    I know this is an old post but this is the absolutely correct.

I own a 2014 Tundra Crewmax and have had all 4 actuators replaced by the dealership, some have been replaced twice now. I ended up having to file a claim with Toyota Corporate in Texas.

Documented the entire thing on FB in the Tundra Group page. Just follow the link and search “door lock” and it’s the post dated July 7, 2017.

The reason I am now posting here is that the front passenger door lock is now working intermittently and I now have to research alternative ways to fix it as Toyota will no longer fix my locks.

Feel free to throw out any advice you have for the issue because this is a known issue and Toyota is not addressing it. Thanks

17. Apr 1, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I don’t know, I’ve heard silicon can unlock all sorts of doors for you......

HappyGilmore likes this.
  18. Apr 1, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    If this is trüe then what's it doing to your lungs?

JH5370 and 15whtrd like this.
  19. Apr 3, 2019 at 2:30 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Two out of my four have failed. Threads on here and elsewhere say that the small electric motor fails. I'll be replacing those. I've never used an air freshener.

Products Discussed in

To Top