1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AIP question

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by el_taco, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jun 4, 2018 at 7:31 AM
    el_taco

el_taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello folks.

Newbie to the forum.

I've recently purchased a 2010 platinum CM tundy with the 5.7 flex engine.

Read alot on the AIP issues and all....previous owner had the pumps/valves replaced by dealer before but i know even replaced ones wont last forever.

I dont have any issues now...just wanting to prevent it before it happens....especially on family road-trips outta state.

I read up on the AIP bypass but would like to know if these bypasses, whether the DIY ones would work for the flex-fuel 5.7s?

Any flex 5.7s running the bypass with success?

2. Jun 4, 2018 at 7:42 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Welcome from Ca. Sorry, can't answer your question but someone more knowledgeable will shortly.

3. Jun 4, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from CO! Semper Fi. Those new and improved AIPs should last awhile. I plan on going the bypass route myself. Someone will chime in soon enough.

4. Jun 4, 2018 at 5:07 PM
    stevj

stevj New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
    Vehicle:
    Current RAM 1500 owner waiting for the new Tundra "hybrid."
    The AIP equipment and operation for the 2010 Tundra 5.7L engine is the same for Flex-Fuel or non-Flex-Fuel.
    There are bypass kits galore, but they seem not designed for Flex-Fuel engines.
    See here for example.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. Jun 4, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    I know enough add about the system to be dangerous. I've had the home built version since 2014. Zero issues.

1st you need to find out if your truck has had the ECU flashed. It was a recall that makes the pumps and valves cycle at random times. If no reflash, the pumps and valves are only used at cold start ups. If no reflash, the bypass will work fine.

If you have a 2014 or newer, they came from the factory with the modified ECU. The bypass won't work...but they have a redesign that seems to be holding up just fine, so the bypass is really not needed.

I'm not entirely sure if 2014 is the exact year the change came about, but I'm sure I'm close.

Black Wolf likes this.
  6. Jun 4, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    This^^^^. The AIPs are really for cold starts period. They are put on all Tundras because of Kommiefornia CARB Bull Shit. Other states have CARB requirements now like Kfornicatia.....Hence...all Tunnys get AIPs....Look it up....

TheBeast likes this.
  7. Jun 4, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    This thread brings up another question:

I live in a non smog test state. I want to know if the AIP bypass would fail the smog test.

There is very little evidence of tampering under my hood. 2 wires that are blended into the loom for the intake wiring and a relay on the firewall.

No smog test occurs during cold starts and there is no pending codes stored. The tech would have to be pretty dedicated to follow those wires down.

Just thinking out loud.

8. Jun 4, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    el_taco

el_taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Is there like a sticker they put under the hood if thay reflashed the ecu? I looked around and cannot see any special-looking sticker.

Also what exactly does the reflash do?...run the pumps after engine shut off?

I live in the cold nord up here in MN and dont notice the pumps running in freezing temps, but notice it more so now in the warm temps.....strange. Also the pumps never run after engine shut off...whether cold or warm......does that mean that the reflash was not done?

9. Jun 4, 2018 at 9:11 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    You need to create an account with Toyotaowners.com. then enter your VIN. The site will tell you all the service that was performed by any toyota dealership. It will tell you if the reflash was performed.

10. Jun 4, 2018 at 10:32 PM
    el_taco

el_taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    I dont see a reflash mentioned for the AIP but on same service date they installed smart-stop...hopefully wasnt also for the AIP as well.

Looks like they did it back on 6/2014...did the valves and pump 1 @ about 72k...im @ 144k now so wont be surprised if its gunna go...just want to prevent from being limp-moded on the side while on vacay some 2 states over.

Thnx.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top