1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After market passenger side locking door handle

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by BART, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Jun 23, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    BART

BART [OP] New Member

Member:
    I posted this question a year and half ago and did not find a solution, so I am giving it another shot.

I have a 2018 Tundra SR double cab 2WD work truck with the 4.6 engine. I do not have remote door locks. I do not have a fob. I open the locked door from the outside with the ignition key. I can lock and unlock the doors from the inside by pressing the electric buttons. But the only exterior lock to open the locked doors from the outside is on the driver side door handle. There is no exterior lock on the passenger side door handle. (My sticker says the work truck package removes the wireless door lock feature which is fine with me, but I did not notice until later there is no exterior lock on the passenger door.)

I am concerned that if the driver side exterior keyed door lock malfunctions or the key will not unlock it, I have no way to open the locked truck. I am looking for suggestions.

The dealer has no suggestions. I have not been able to locate an aftermarket passenger side exterior door handle with a lock. Does anyone know of one available?

If I can not locate an aftermarket passenger side exterior door handle with a keyed lock, does anyone know how I can get into the locked truck from outside without breaking a window or calling a locksmith?

2. Jun 26, 2020 at 7:13 PM
    rodm1

rodm1 New Member

Member:
    Get handy with a Slim Jim or get glass covarage. You might be able to ad a lock by drilling the handle but kind of a long shot.

3. Jun 27, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    If it were easy for you to get into the truck without a key, then it would be easy for a thief. Toyota vehicles are pretty secure in my experience. I think you're looking at a locksmith (slow, expensive), or breaking a window (fast, expensive).

It's highly unlikely you're going to find an aftermarket passenger-side keyed door handle because there is no demand for the redundancy provided. And, it would take a little more engineering and tooling expense than simply copying a part. The truck has to have a driver to be used; the driver can unlock the passenger side with a button.

But, I believe you can relax on concerns the key lock mechanism will fail. Vehicle manufacturers have been making keyed door locks for very long time and they're pretty bullet proof. From my previous experience, a keyed door lock key only fails if the plastic retainer on the end of a control rod unlatches and the rod disconnects from the mechanism. That usually happens only if the retainer has been improperly installed or removed/installed too much.

In my case, I always had to worry about user error...lost key. I found a hidden magnetic box with a spare key was essential for me.

Now, power door locks and push button access, not so reliable. I have used a key to get into a vehicle with failed power door locks. Unreliability of push button access would be a surprise on a Toyota (dead fob battery, faulty actuator), but I'm sure it's happened. Not so much on other brands.

4. Jun 27, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    It looks like all year Tundra (2nd and 3rd Gen)/FJ Cruiser door handles are the same. I've seen 2nd Gen Tundras and FJCs with passenger side door locks. I'm speculating that it would be a matter of hunting down the other related small bits (lock cylinder/lock rod/etc.).

5. Jun 29, 2020 at 3:12 AM
    BART

BART [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I do have a hidden key on the truck and I am careful when opening the lock. Thanks again.

6. Jul 3, 2020 at 4:18 AM
    rodm1

rodm1 New Member

Member:
    Keep it oiled with a light thin oil not WD40 or Graphite. I use my door lock a few times a month just to keep it freed up they will and can freeze up.

7. Jul 3, 2020 at 5:24 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    My 2007 is keyed only on the drivers side, and I don't use the key-less entry it came with.

I researched adding a keyed lock to the passenger side, and discovered that is was very involved & expensive.

Wynnded likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top