1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Add a leaf???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JTP, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:19 PM
    JTP

JTP [OP] The Big Black Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Sterling, Alaska (Formerly DFW Texas)
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    bam wholesale was $220.00 on that TRD bar. Add a leaf was another $86.00. Will see how these do before adding the airbags. If I need them I will have them.

2. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    You can mount the sway bar with the brackets on the axle on the back or above instead of underneath to keep it close to level. For 6" on the top would probably be the best. Having it at an angle reduces its effectiveness. You may need to move the brake and abs lines though. Or cut the end links in half and weld in an extension.

3. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:41 PM
    JTP

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    I will finally have something with TRD on it on my truck. :)

4. Sep 12, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    Tundrazy

Tundrazy Turd Bro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '17 CM Cement PRO
    Resurrecting this thread a bit. I too am interested in getting the ass end of my Pro off the pavement. I also tow a bit, and have already noticed the rear end sagging under just the lightest of loads. I like a little bit of rake to my truck when unloaded and level when towing. I am on the verge of purchasing the Firestone ride rite air bags with no other mods. My brother's 2010 tundra has them and he gets up to 4" lift in the rear when fully inflated. Granted he only gets that after he's unhooked his large travel trailer and hasn't aired them down. If I could just get about an inch of lift when running unloaded I would be happy and it seems the air bags are the way to go. I just don't see the sense in modifying anything else with the suspension on a $50K truck. I also do not want a stiffer ride due to add a leafs. @JTP did you ever install your bags and if so, what are your thoughts?

JTP[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 14, 2017 at 9:48 AM
    JTP

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    Ive got a set of those bags just sitting here. I don't if they and adding a leaf is going to do the job or not. Before installing them Im on here today to do a little more investigation to see what other options there might be.

Plain and simple the Tacoma's and Tundras are ass light on springs. That is for sure. I just need to make sure that I do the right thing here as this is very important to get this correct.

6. Sep 14, 2017 at 7:17 PM
    Stevenboise

Stevenboise New Member

Member:
    Old Man Emu suspension. Brute Force Fab front bumper, rear dual high clearance rear bumper, sliders and headache rack.
    All of that quote is exactly my feelings as well....glad to hear someone else has the same desire. I like some rake to my truck when I'm not towing and keeping things level or little high in back when hooked up.

This idea of leaf springs is new to me as my old Chevy had coil springs in back and it was super simple and cheap to fix this issue on that truck. $330 bucks and I doubled my psi spring rate.

Still learning here regarding leaf springs, but I don't really want to do air bags.

JTP[OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 14, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    JTP

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    Ive got an old school leaf and spring company over on the southwest side of Forth Worth that I used years ago to beef up my Tacoma. These guys are seriously old school and know how to beat on iron and beef up truck suspensions.

Will give them a call to see what they can do for me. Ive got to have overland long haul towing, bed, and tongue weight load capacity.

With my tire carrier hanging back there and having to use a receiver hitch extension to pull my travel trailer I have got to have some serious beef up back there. I think that the airbags are just not going to do it for me.

8. Sep 15, 2017 at 7:16 PM
    JTP

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    Ok, taking the Big Black Moose over to my spring guy in Fort Worth bright and early on Monday morning.

Going to pull the rear leafs and build / add two more to each side. They will heat up and custom bend my existing stock leafs and add the two new custom leafs to each side. They will also make new thicker custom U bolts.

Ride hight will level the rear with the front end and I will probably be able to load as much weight in bed and on tongue that I want to with no drop.

Will test it out and see how she dose. I might go ahead and add the airbags if its ridding too rough. I can ride with little to no load on the truck with a just a little bit of air in the bags to fine tune it and then add more air under a load to help smooth things out even more.

My buddy says that the springs alone should ride pretty smooth but said that the bags will be great to dial it in. My Tacoma was a bad ass with no air bags after they did it so this should be even more killer with the bags added.

Products Discussed in

To Top